Elden Ring

showtime

4 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

How does this compare to Elder Scrolls?  I loved Skyrim.

It's similar, but also very different.

-Combat is entirely different, but in the best way. It is actually challenging and skill based.

-No non-combat skill trees. There's no 'speech' skill or bartering equivalent. Stealth is limited. Dialogue in general is very limited. If you have any say in talking to NPCs at all, it is pretty much either a yes or no response.

-Autosaves only. Difficulty overall is increased.

-Third person only

-Lore and story wise, nothing is thrown in your face. You really need to seek out the inner workings of the story and lore by exploring and noticing minor clues, reading item descriptions, talking to each and every NPC, etc. It will also be a much darker game in terms of tone.

-No bustling cities. There will probably be less NPCs in this entire game than there was in Whiterun.

This game is going to be very much an open world Dark Souls. It won't be like a more difficult Skyrim.

That said, I love Skyrim and I love the Dark Souls series, so it isn't like if you like one you won't like the other. Despite the medieval type of setting though, they are going to be very different games.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

soo yeah is this just a new Dark Souls clone? Anything that relies on difficulty has zero interest from me. If it is more like Skyrim I might be interested. 

Exactly right. A video game nerd friend of mine said the same thing and that it is a Dark Souls style game and not a  MMORPG like Elder Scrolls.

I was bummed because while Ive never played Dark Souls, I know its hard as hell.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Exactly right. A video game nerd friend of mine said the same thing and that it is a Dark Souls style game and not a  MMORPG like Elder Scrolls.

I was bummed because while Ive never played Dark Souls, I know its hard as hell.

It really isn't that bad. Most of the game can be beat without much struggle if you take your time. The only difficulty spikes are with the bosses but those can be mitigated by summoning in other players to help out. 

6 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

It really isn't that bad. Most of the game can be beat without much struggle if you take your time. The only difficulty spikes are with the bosses but those can be mitigated by summoning in other players to help out. 

Good good, i dont mind a more difficult game--but the one aspect I enjoy from MMO type games is the play with friends aspect. Join the same faction, do quests together, have different abilities, gather resources together, ect. I think a game like New World was great in that sense (though they missed on so many other areas).

It sounds like Elden Ring is more solo player with mutiplayer sprinkled in

14 hours ago, Jeezla said:

less than a month away, i need that new Dark Souls fix

I recently bought and beat Dark Souls 2 SotFS to satisfy that urge until Elden Ring comes out. I'm also actively now playing through Dark Souls 3 for the 4th time. I really wish there was a boss rush mode in that game. I just want to fight Nameless King and Midir a million times.

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Good good, i dont mind a more difficult game--but the one aspect I enjoy from MMO type games is the play with friends aspect. Join the same faction, do quests together, have different abilities, gather resources together, ect. I think a game like New World was great in that sense (though they missed on so many other areas).

It sounds like Elden Ring is more solo player with mutiplayer sprinkled in

Elden Ring will be more like that than any previous SoulsBorne game, but not nearly as in depth and cooperative as what you are talking about. The multiplayer cooperative aspect is mostly going to be "help me beat this boss then disappear".