Elden Ring

showtime

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I hate this game lol. I die so freaking easily. I’m a vagabond and I feel like my shield and health suck. 

I started as a Samurai and something that made a big difference for me was exploring until I found a real shield (i.e. one that blocks 100% of physical damage). I'm not sure what shield Vagabond starts with so you might already have one, but in these games any shield that guards 100% against physical damage is perfectly good. And then against certain enemies (magic users, fire wielders, etc) you need to swap it out for something that blocks what they're using.

I also spent almost all of my first 10 or so levels on Vigor.

Edited by TheChad
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TheChad said:

I started as a Samurai and something that made a big difference for me was exploring until I found a real shield (i.e. one that blocks 100% of physical damage). I'm not sure what shield Vagabond starts with so you might already have one, but in these games any shield that guards 100% against physical damage is perfectly good. And then against certain enemies (magic users, fire wielders, etc) you need to swap it out for something that blocks what they're using.

I also spent almost all of my first 10 or so levels on Vigor.

I don't think I've leveled up 10 times so maybe that's why I suck? lol I'm pretty sure the Vagabond shield has 100% block so my timing must be off IDK.  I was able to do one cave and Gatefront Ruins with no problem, everything since then has been a huge struggle.  Even struggling with the stupid Goblins in that one early cave which I find ridiculous.  I may need to get on NZ time and play with you haha.

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I don't think I've leveled up 10 times so maybe that's why I suck? lol I'm pretty sure the Vagabond shield has 100% block so my timing must be off IDK.  I was able to do one cave and Gatefront Ruins with no problem, everything since then has been a huge struggle.  Even struggling with the stupid Goblins in that one early cave which I find ridiculous.  I may need to get on NZ time and play with you haha.

Yeah you want to be in you 20's before you fight Margit and probably somewhere in the 30's-40's before the next major boss. The game is designed for you to explore a **** ton and get better gear/weapons and stats as you progress on the main quest. There's multiple forts and side dungeons with much easier bosses you can face to get a better character. Even some field bosses. 

If you hit a wall, the game wants you to realize that you should go do something else. It helps that you actually get rewarded with good things to explore that will help your character. Also as you get smithing stones, upgrade your weapon. After some levels it will increase scale and help with your build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Yeah you want to be in you 20's before you fight Margit and probably somewhere in the 30's-40's before the next major boss. The game is designed for you to explore a **** ton and get better gear/weapons and stats as you progress on the main quest. There's multiple forts and side dungeons with much easier bosses you can face to get a better character. Even some field bosses. 

If you hit a wall, the game wants you to realize that you should go do something else. It helps that you actually get rewarded with good things to explore that will help your character. Also as you get smithing stones, upgrade your weapon. After some levels it will increase scale and help with your build.

I switched over to 5 Crimson flasks and finally beat the Erdtree Burial Watchdog after using my Spirits.  Still barely got passed that.  I feel like my character is SO SLOW and gets hit way too easily.  IDK if the camera spinning sends my rolls back into guys hits or what.  I'm just going to keep grinding until I get my Vigor up more, which is at 18, and find better weapons.  My problem is it's hard to understand which weapon/armor is better lol.  Complete newbie.

34 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I switched over to 5 Crimson flasks and finally beat the Erdtree Burial Watchdog after using my Spirits.  Still barely got passed that.  I feel like my character is SO SLOW and gets hit way too easily.  IDK if the camera spinning sends my rolls back into guys hits or what.  I'm just going to keep grinding until I get my Vigor up more, which is at 18, and find better weapons.  My problem is it's hard to understand which weapon/armor is better lol.  Complete newbie.

Something I found is that the invincibility frames for rolling is shorter this game because they allow you to jump and didn't nerf shields like the last game. Try to learn boss movesets and time things. Also the jellyfish spirit is clutch. It tanks some hits and can get aggro on bosses from across the arena. Honestly I feel like this game has a steeper leveling system and doesn't want players to rush into all the bosses. You'll get there. Game seems to be more of a marathon. I'm pretty much staying in the first area trying to get all I can before I move on. I checked out one of the late/mid game bosses, and I can't even take a hit from them. 

8 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Don't be afraid to scour https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Elden+Ring+Wiki for info on weapons, tactics for bosses, new player help, suggested paths through the game, etc.

Those wikis are a godsend when you're first getting into these games.

Edited by TheChad

I also recommend exploring as much as you can, fighting on the horse when out in the open (it's much harder to die, and easy to run away), and looking for sacred tears (at churches) and golden seeds (at glowing trees) to boost your flask potency and uses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheChad said:

Don't be afraid to scour https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Elden+Ring+Wiki for info on weapons, tactics for bosses, new player help, suggested paths through the game, etc.

Those wikis are a godsend when you're first getting into these games.

Thank you for this. I’ve never played any Fromsoftware game so I’ve been extremely lost. 

• Like 1

I have beaten Demon Souls, DS 1&2, and Bloodborne. But I haven't played any of them since they were released and now I spend more time staring at the load screen than playing the game. Need to just set aside more than 45 minutes at a time to play and sit and figure out my fighting strategy. Regretting my astrologer choice as it doesn't fit my playstyle I don't think.

9 hours ago, TheChad said:

I also recommend exploring as much as you can, fighting on the horse when out in the open (it's much harder to die, and easy to run away), and looking for sacred tears (at churches) and golden seeds (at glowing trees) to boost your flask potency and uses.

I realize what my problem was…I read an article about what to do first and I thought it said don’t go South towards the lake and the with the grace pointing towards the castle I didn’t think I should be going the other way on the map. Explored and found more caves, got the Wondrous Flask. Still not sure how that works though.