Elden Ring

showtime

6 minutes ago, Jetzger said:

This is the way.  

Especially with this open world setting, just starting out with nothing and finding gear and making it work really appeals to me.  

Plus, you don't really start with nothing; this isn't the DS2 Deprived. A club has historically been more than adequate for the very early game. I want to be able to specialize and customize as much as possible, so starting at the lowest level is very appealing to me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Plus, you don't really start with nothing; this isn't the DS2 Deprived. A club has historically been more than adequate for the very early game. I want to be able to specialize and customize as much as possible, so starting at the lowest level is very appealing to me.

Oh yeah for sure, club has always been at the very least a good starting weapon.   Buuuuuut I might drop it anyway and see how that goes haha.  And same, I'm not much for min maxing so having balance at the start so everything is only a few levels away is great. 

Ugh I need to stop staring at my steam page, I'm running out of things to distract myself with. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jetzger said:

Oh yeah for sure, club has always been at the very least a good starting weapon.   Buuuuuut I might drop it anyway and see how that goes haha.  And same, I'm not much for min maxing so having balance at the start so everything is only a few levels away is great. 

Ugh I need to stop staring at my steam page, I'm running out of things to distract myself with. 

Traditionally, the first playthrough of all DS games I play, I find the uchigatana and use it the entire run. That may finally change with Elden Ring, if the game is really as long as reviewers say it is. Curved swords are my go to for first playthroughs, but then I always end up switching to a cooler, stronger strength weapon (like a greatsword) for playthroughs 2 and beyond that I end up having more fun with and ouputting more damage with.

I think for Elden Ring, I'm going to be super open to switching weapons early and often. I want to find cool weapons, cool ashes of war, and just use what feels right.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Traditionally, the first playthrough of all DS games I play, I find the uchigatana and use it the entire run. That may finally change with Elden Ring, if the game is really as long as reviewers say it is. Curved swords are my go to for first playthroughs, but then I always end up switching to a cooler, stronger strength weapon (like a greatsword) for playthroughs 2 and beyond that I end up having more fun with and ouputting more damage with.

I think for Elden Ring, I'm going to be super open to switching weapons early and often. I want to find cool weapons, cool ashes of war, and just use what feels right.

I usually go melee too at the start, but man magic looks so good in this game I might have to switch it up this time.  

But this is the first time I'm going into one of these games truly blind (besides Sekiro, but that didn't really have builds), so it's going to be really exciting seeing where the trip takes me.  Gonna be a great couple of week ahead. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jetzger said:

I usually go melee too at the start, but man magic looks so good in this game I might have to switch it up this time.  

But this is the first time I'm going into one of these games truly blind (besides Sekiro, but that didn't really have builds), so it's going to be really exciting seeing where the trip takes me.  Gonna be a great couple of week ahead. 

Same here! I'm lucky that the few guys I listen to who had stuff to say about Elden Ring were purposefully relatively vague and spoiler free. I'm very excited to go in pretty blind. I'm going to make a concerted effort to not look up stuff along the way either.

That said, does anyone know how to reveal illusory walls in this game? I screwed myself over in my first playthrough of DS2, not knowing until halfway through the game that you open them up in that game with the Interact/A/X button, not by attacking. I don't want to fall prey to that in Elden Ring and miss some stuff.

I think the lack of 'builds' is why I was never able to get that into Sekiro. Years later, I'm still about 3/4 through the game while trying to complete the long/'good' ending.

1 hour ago, Jetzger said:

I've been going back and forth with Vagabond and Confessor.  I normally like high defense and melee but the magic seems really fun.

On 2/23/2022 at 10:19 AM, MikeT14 said:

I've never played any of the Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, or Nioh games. The anticipation of the frustration drives me away. 

Been reading about this one a bunch. It might be the one to tip me.

Here’s a fair review especially for those who never played the Souls game.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/game-reviews/elden-ring-review/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Apparition said:

What's the recommended level for taking on Magrit the Fell Omen? He's kicking my teeth in at level 24, and idk if it's because I suck or my equipment sucks, or I'm just underleveled. 

I don't know about recommended, but I just beat it as a level 20 samurai with a Uchigatana+3. It was only my second of what seem to be the "major" bosses, after Leonine Misbegotten who I found right down in the corner of the map whilst exploring. I've beaten a few mini-bosses along the way but they were clearly at a different level to these two, which each took me a bunch of attempts.

As for Magrit, at least for me, I thought it was a really tough early boss. It took me about 15 attempts, and that's probably about as many as any Souls-like boss has taken me, and I've played through them all. I had two problems:

1. The time between it telegraphing its next attack and making that attack varies wildly depending on which attack it is. In one situation I got in three rolls in the time I was waiting for it to strike after raising its weapon. Most of the time, I was trying to dodge too early and got hit as I was out of my way out of the roll.
  2. Its attacks reach just a bit farther than I was expecting. Rolling away frequently resulted in me getting slashed in the back, and I kept getting hit whilst chugging estus at what seemed like a safe distance.

I just had to keep at it with a focus on trying to figure out which attacks I should block, which I should roll away from, which I should roll towards, when I should roll, and when it's safe to get a hit or two in.

Really, really enjoying the game so far. Feels like they mixed Dark Souls with Breath of the Wild and I just love it.

I just beat Margit at level 23 with a level 2 Estoc. 

Use the jellyfish summon. It tanks some good hits and poisons him along with gaining aggro pretty easily. Charge R2’s break posture so use that to get visceral and give solid damage. 

The bosses in this game are insanely aggressive but the game gives you alot more tools than other games to take these guys out. 

• Like 1