Eagles extend TE Dallas Goedert (4 years, $59m)

Kiltman

59 minutes ago, oland11 said:

The production is what it has been because Ertz and Goedert have been sharing reps since we drafted him. We all (or most?) on this sub think he has the tools and the ability to become one of those top 5s if he got sole reps as the starting TE. (This ain't me arguing against you, more explaining our thought process)

Ive been trying to thing of a nice way to say this. I am really struggling. So I will put this way:

Dallas is a guy that Eagles fans have hyped the ish out of for 2-3 years - and no one, I mean no one, else in the NFL is afraid of him at all. 

He may have all pro potential. You got a QB that is going to turn him into an all pro? 

No. You dont. This contract is going to be a drag on your team. Even if he is a great player. 

36 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Ive been trying to thing of a nice way to say this. I am really struggling. So I will put this way:

Dallas is a guy that Eagles fans have hyped the ish out of for 2-3 years - and no one, I mean no one, else in the NFL is afraid of him at all. 

He may have all pro potential. You got a QB that is going to turn him into an all pro? 

No. You dont. This contract is going to be a drag on your team. Even if he is a great player. 

You had a meeting with all nfl defensive coaches and this is what you ask them? Seems like a waste of resources to me. 

45 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Why does this matter? You pay your best players end of story. Letting good players walk is how bad teams stay bad forever. 

We overpaid for him based on his production, but based on what we see on the field every week he is worth every single penny. We will still have money to sign free agents and do whatever we need to do this offseason. Wentz is completely off the books going forward so we aren't going to be tied down financially like we were this offseason.

You are free to think whatever you want about it, but the player we paid for is worth it in terms of his ability. Now it is up to the FO and the coaching staff to get him and Devonta a dude to get them the ball so they can have an impact on games.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

Just now, EaglesPeteC said:

You had a meeting with all nfl defensive coaches and this is what you ask them? Seems like a waste of resources to me. 

I had the free time. Just kept texting them (and all the players) until I got a response. The most common was "lol nope" when asked if you fear him. 

6 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Why does this matter?

Asset management 

You pay your best players end of story.

Not if they arent impacting the game. 

Letting good players walk is how bad teams stay bad forever. 

Or win a billion superbowls as the pats. 

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I’m pretty sure your phone autocorrected to Dallas Go-Gurt

Honestly - if we did a poll asking to list players in order how much you fear them starting with Mahomes at 1... Where does Goedart fall? Number 200? 250? 

Same question but now how likely is this person is to help you win a game... Maybe a little better at 175?

Dudes like a top 30-40 paid player now. See the delta there? 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Asset management 

Not if they arent impacting the game. 

Or win a billion superbowls as the pats. 

I mean I completely disagree but you are free to your opinion. You don't just let your best players walk because you don't have a good QB on your roster. Building up the roster with legit good players before getting a QB is a completely viable strategy.

And comparing any team to the Pats dynasty seems pretty ridiculous. They had the best QB and HC combo in the history of the league for 20 years. Trying to build a team like them would likely be a very bad idea as has been showcased by many other teams trying to copy their formula.

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Honestly - if we did a poll asking to list players in order how much you fear them starting with Mahomes at 1... Where does Goedart fall? Number 200? 250? 

Same question but now how likely is this person is to help you win a game... Maybe a little better at 175?

Dudes like a top 30-40 paid player now. See the delta there? 

TIL front offices main factor in resigning players is how afraid other teams are of said player.

Someone get Martyn Ford on the phone, he will be a slam dunk signing.

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

TIL front offices main factor in resigning players is how afraid other teams are of said player.

Someone get Martyn Ford on the phone, he will be a slam dunk signing.

I am glad I could teach you something.

BTW - Ill be happy to eat crow if I am wrong. And dish it if I am right. Time will tell. 

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I think, and obviously the contract reflects this, is the untapped potential.  Every list you can pull up is going to have him in the top 6 or so. 

PFF:

5. DALLAS GOEDERT, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

“Goedert splitting the field with Zach Ertz to begin his career has created a situation where many don’t realize just how good he has been. Kittle is held high as the shining example of a “dual-threat” tight end who challenges defenses as a receiver and blocker (for good reason). But Goedert is actually the only tight end in the NFL with receiving and run-blocking grades of 80.0 or higher since 2018. He ranks seventh in receiving grade and first in run-blocking grade over that three-year span. 

An Ertz trade could lead to a featured role — and more recognition — for the former second-round pick out of South Dakota State.”

I think most writers or prognosticators see that potential was only being held back by Ertz. Obviously, we’ve had our issues this year in the passing game but I don’t think that reflects at all on his abilities. As a receiver and blocker he’s about as good as you’re going to get. That’s going to cost some money. And $13-14M for a guy that’s going to heavily contribute to both the pass and run isn’t a lot of money and won’t be any kind of drag. That’s a bit hyperbolic. It’s not that much money. And the Eagles are in plenty good shape only 1 year from a short stay in cap hell. He’ll be well worth the money and will only have more of an impact with improved QB play. 

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I think, and obviously the contract reflects this, is the untapped potential.  Every list you can pull up is going to have him in the top 6 or so. 

PFF:

5. DALLAS GOEDERT, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

“Goedert splitting the field with Zach Ertz to begin his career has created a situation where many don’t realize just how good he has been. Kittle is held high as the shining example of a “dual-threat” tight end who challenges defenses as a receiver and blocker (for good reason). But Goedert is actually the only tight end in the NFL with receiving and run-blocking grades of 80.0 or higher since 2018. He ranks seventh in receiving grade and first in run-blocking grade over that three-year span. 

An Ertz trade could lead to a featured role — and more recognition — for the former second-round pick out of South Dakota State.”

I think most writers or prognosticators see that potential was only being held back by Ertz. Obviously, we’ve had our issues this year in the passing game but I don’t think that reflects at all on his abilities. As a receiver and blocker he’s about as good as you’re going to get. That’s going to cost some money. And $13-14M for a guy that’s going to heavily contribute to both the pass and run isn’t a lot of money and won’t be any kind of drag. That’s a bit hyperbolic. It’s not that much money. And the Eagles are in plenty good shape only 1 year from a short stay in cap hell. He’ll be well worth the money and will only have more of an impact with improved QB play. 

think there was a stat last year or the year before where our average rushing yards a game dropped by like 30 yards whenever goedert was out.

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I am glad I could teach you something.

BTW - Ill be happy to eat crow if I am wrong. And dish it if I am right. Time will tell. 

If he's healthy, he'll be worth it.
Not that he's a big health risk or anything.

He has a lot of plus traits for a Tightend and has done well despite having to share so much with Ertz the last couple years.
He's the 2nd target now to Davonta, with a wider gap behind him here.
He's got the chance to very easily ascend the TE rankings and start making pro bowls (not that they mean THAT much).
........... And Helped by Kelce and Waller being in the AFC of course