Ben Albright to Drop Death Knell Emails for Hue & Coaches In the Morning?

Mind Character

1 hour ago, matt27j said:

The only person in the building truly wanting AJ, Goff, Watson, JG is Hue. When he is the face of the franchise he's going to wants the QB to share that platform. Problem is that this is the Browns not the Hue's. The FO and Greg actually realize what it takes to win in this division. Run defense, a run offense, and a Qb big enough to survive 6 beatings a year. Hue got the job because he talked up the run game and came from Cinci's power offense. 

I have not once seen the double pull which is one of Cinci's bread n butter plays. This is despite the power we have on the right side OL. Pass oriented in the red zone instead of using the run and play action. Excessive pre snap motions giving QB less time to read field. Questionable game management.

Not going to get into it much because I still do have faith that Hue can turn it around if he delivers the power game he talked up. If he's just going to pout about not getting the QB he wants instead of adjusting his scheme then I say make Greg the HC and you know he will deliver an offense with attitude.

Hue got the job because I believe he accepted the idea of a full rebuild. I think the will of win are just everyone not wanting to flirt with a defeated season. I do think this team is getting better. They looked a lot better last week but still had there issues. I want to see this defense at 100%

I might get flack for this, but here's my hot take:

Being an NFL GM is not a hard job! It's pretty freaking easy. If you aren't clueless and don't spend too much time overanalyzing every little detail, the job shouldn't be that hard. We just hire idiots.

I guarantee if you let the forum decide the prospects and FA signings, we would have had better success than the morons in the FO. To say Peyton Manning, a clearly brilliant guy, would not be able to figure out this job is false.

Pop a tape in, talk to his HS and college coaches, and make a decision. People get too overanalytical and it bites them in the butt. This front office clearly has a plan and that plan is clearly terrible.

I'm willing to put up with losses, but the way in which this team is built scares the crap out of me. We have a HUGE draft coming up in 2018 with a ton of picks. I wouldn't trust these guys with those selections.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I might get flack for this, but here's my hot take:

Being an NFL GM is not a hard job! It's pretty freaking easy. If you aren't clueless and don't spend too much time overanalyzing every little detail, the job shouldn't be that hard. We just hire idiots.

I guarantee if you let the forum decide the prospects and FA signings, we would have had better success than the morons in the FO. To say Peyton Manning, a clearly brilliant guy, would not be able to figure out this job is false.

Pop a tape in, talk to his HS and college coaches, and make a decision. People get too overanalytical and it bites them in the butt. This front office clearly has a plan and that plan is clearly terrible.

I'm willing to put up with losses, but the way in which this team is built scares the crap out of me. We have a HUGE draft coming up in 2018 with a ton of picks. I wouldn't trust these guys with those selections.

where is that classic clip from Billy Madison when I need it most?

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

You build a team from the inside out.

The first step is controlling the of scrimmage, on both sides of the ball.

They are doing that and adding other pieces around them.

My only complaint with the FO so far is their failure to find diamonds in the rough with all the latter round picks, especially at receiver. That algorithm definitely needs some work.

Really would like to see us add a football guy, though, as a check and balance.

19 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

where is that classic clip from Billy Madison when I need it most?

You don't think we are overcomplicating our draft & FA selections?

Analytics to tell you if someone's good or not? How about watch film and make sure he's got his head on straight. Does he fit the scheme of your coaches? Is his position a need on your football team?   Sometimes things really are that simple.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

Analytics to tell you if someone's good or not? How about watch film and make sure he's got his head on straight. Does he fit the scheme of your coaches? Is his position a need on your football team?   Sometimes things really are that simple.

I am very satisfied with our drafts under this regime.  Its simply not realistic to expect 2 draft classes of rookies to completely turn around the worst roster in the NFL in year 1 and year 2.  I think we have players that are going to be genuine stars for a decade once they get experience and we build around them.

We are literally a handful of players and an OC away from being a powerhouse.  So no, I do not think that they are over complicating things at all.  I think its simply a matter of entitled would be fans that throw a tantrum when they do not receive instant gratification.

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Do we actually know with confidence that Sashi forgot to call McCarron in before the deadline, or is this just a rumor by MKC or something?  I really don't want to believe that's the case--sounds unlikely...but...?

Three Harvard grads forgot to put a signature on a piece of paper bringing their coach his desired QB?  Or octogenarian Mike Brown screwing up a ridiculous draft haul for a QB they never intended to keep?

My confidence is in the latter.

As much confidence as you can have in MKC's sources, I guess.

2 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Three Harvard grads forgot to put a signature on a piece of paper bringing their coach his desired QB?  Or octogenarian Mike Brown screwing up a ridiculous draft haul for a QB they never intended to keep?

My confidence is in the latter.

As much confidence as you can have in MKC's sources, I guess.

I think it all was just CIN funnin' with Hue.

29 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

clearly its not that easy. If it was that easy, there would be more hits than misses in the draft. If it was that easy you would see less first round busts. Hell look at Aaron Curry. Dude got labeled as one of the safest draft picks in NFL history. He literally had everything you wanted. Size, speed, IQ, head on straight, fit the scheme for the seahawks, and was a need. Dude was a major bust!

TRich should of been a slam dunk. You could of watched every college game tape of his, you would of never noticed his in ability to read blocking schemes and struggle so bad with it. Look at Brandon Weeden. He checks every one of your boxes. Dude was a stud in college. His film was sexy, he was smart and was a former player athlete, fit perfect in the Norv Turner scheme, and fit a need for the Brownds. Yet he was awful

Its not simple as you thing. 

Another example is Greg Robinson for the Rams who was taken #2 overal. Dude was a stud, checked everyone of your boxes, yet he struggled mightily.

There is no science, there is no special key. Football guy or not, drafting is pretty darn hard.  

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Doubtful. 

Someone prolly just pointed out to Ole Mike that if he kills this deal Hue becomes the next head on the chopping block and they can hire him to replace Marvin next year.

winner winner chicken dinner

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

clearly its not that easy. If it was that easy, there would be more hits than misses in the draft. If it was that easy you would see less first round busts. Hell look at Aaron Curry. Dude got labeled as one of the safest draft picks in NFL history. He literally had everything you wanted. Size, speed, IQ, head on straight, fit the scheme for the seahawks, and was a need. Dude was a major bust!

TRich should of been a slam dunk. You could of watched every college game tape of his, you would of never noticed his in ability to read blocking schemes and struggle so bad with it. Look at Brandon Weeden. He checks every one of your boxes. Dude was a stud in college. His film was sexy, he was smart and was a former player athlete, fit perfect in the Norv Turner scheme, and fit a need for the Brownds. Yet he was awful

Another example is Greg Robinson for the Rams who was taken #2 overal. Dude was a stud, checked everyone of your boxes, yet he struggled mightily.

There is no science, there is no special key. Football guy or not, drafting is pretty darn hard.  

I agree, drafting is really tough and you need a really skilled assessor of talent, to get the job done correctly. There is a solid reason why some teams remain competitive for years while others remain bottom feeders for decades and it can be found in 3 places. First, you need an owner who can assess FO talent and hires a talented one, then you need a talented FO that can assess prospects, FA's, HC's and scouts and drafts, signs or hires talented ones. Then you need a HC who can assess talent on hand and get rid of the junk on their rosters and help the GM to spot talented players to draft or sign as FA's. Unless, these 3 situations exist on a team, there is little hope they will ever be a consistent contender and are far more likely to be bottom feeders for years to come if not decades.

However, just to set the facts straight, Aaron Curry came out of one of the worst draft classes in the history of the draft, he was far from a sure thing, but teams really had few options in the early picks. They basically all stunk. Yes, he was considered a safe pick for a talentless draft, but in the end, it turned out to be exactly that, a talentless draft.

As for Weedon, he simply did not tick off all the boxes, which is why he fell to late round 1. QB's drafted where Weedon went, only have around a 6% chance for success, so clearly, a lot of boxes were not ticked on his chart. It was simply a desperate gamble that failed terribly.

As for Peyton, if Haslam is assessing his talent for success, then I am worried based on Haslam's record. However, I suspect, Manning might make a solid GM, but only if he has complete control of an organization and if Haslam hires him, you can bet that Peyton will have absolute, total control of our franchise and yes, it worries me, that he will have to learn on the job, with little experience to back him up.

Manning was a heady player who was a serious student of the game and if he brings that to the table, he might make a solid GM, but it may take him a few years and a few mistakes along the way, before he gets it right and really folks, how patient will Haslam be, before he cans him and starts all over.

That's why a franchise always starts with the owner, if he is incompetent when it comes to hiring a FO, the teams will in all likelihood, remain a bottom feeder for ever.

One thing for sure, he will not take the job unless he has total control from day 1, there will be no learning before being given absolute control. It's all or nothing and I have no doubt, Haslam, who is looking for a someone to save the franchise, would give, whoever he hires, immediate control over all the operations of our franchise.

IMO, it would be easier for us to find competent FO personnel given our Draft capital and salary cap than it would finding a head coach to lead this team. Also, im not putting all my eggs in one basket on the Manning thing, at some point, he needs to earn his stripes in this business, and I actually would like an established guy like Rick Spielman.

10 hours ago, buno67 said:

Facts, there is no one that would have turned down physical freaks that dominated the game like Courtney Brown or Vernon Gholston. There was nothing in their medicals or interviews that would have suggested these guys would have been busts.

Archived