Trey Lances devolopment (it failed)

49erurtaza

I thought we needed a thread on Trey Lances devolopment.

One of things I spend alot of time on is trying to find any ounce of info on how Trey Lance is doing devoloping on scout team. Mike McDaniels spoke about it today. Here's the clip.

I didn't even think about it but it's pretty cool Lance gets to emulate guys like Kirk Cousins and Wilson. Kind of figuring out what his game will be like. One note that I find interesting is with Mahomes devolopment his rookie year. Alex Smith spoke about how much of a improvement you can see him on scout team from the start of the season to the end. He got extremely comfortable. Not that Trey Is Mahomes but you can see how he can devolop.

Here's the clip:

I'm not saying Lance in anyway is Mahomes or will be that but just figuring out devoloping QBs is interesting to me. I would love to see Lance playing but getting any info on him is like drugs to me. 🤣

I couldnt help but watch that McDaniel video and think that Trey probably gets very little time with his OC

I was pretty disappointed when we didnt put Trey in earlier against JAX. He honestly should have gotten the whole 4th quarter. There was zero chance the jags were coming back lol 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

I couldnt help but watch that McDaniel video and think that Trey probably gets very little time with his OC

I was pretty disappointed when we didnt put Trey in earlier against JAX. He honestly should have gotten the whole 4th quarter. There was zero chance the jags were coming back lol 

Thought that about Detroit. 

14 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I thought we needed a thread on Trey Lances devolopment.

One of things I spend alot of time on is trying to find any ounce of info on how Trey Lance is doing devoloping on scout team. Mike McDaniels spoke about it today. Here's the clip.

I didn't even think about it but it's pretty cool Lance gets to emulate guys like Kirk Cousins and Wilson. Kind of figuring out what his game will be like. One note that I find interesting is with Mahomes devolopment his rookie year. Alex Smith spoke about how much of a improvement you can see him on scout team from the start of the season to the end. He got extremely comfortable. Not that Trey Is Mahomes but you can see how he can devolop.

Here's the clip:

I'm not saying Lance in anyway is Mahomes or will be that but just figuring out devoloping QBs is interesting to me. I would love to see Lance playing but getting any info on him is like drugs to me. 🤣

Every time I hear Alex talk about Mahommes, I wonder why no one asks him about Kap. Maybe because the transition was more awkward. I'm sure there was some degree of division created when Harbaugh stuck with Kap, and Alex didn't really have to face it in the same way in KC, because the transition happened in the offseason. But maybe back then, there might have been some division among the players and staff who were seeing how well Mahommes was doing and how limited Alex was in comparison. I don't know, Alex had two very interesting situations with very different dynamics, and I'd love to hear his side on both.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Every time I hear Alex talk about Mahommes, I wonder why no one asks him about Kap. Maybe because the transition was more awkward. I'm sure there was some degree of division created when Harbaugh stuck with Kap, and Alex didn't really have to face it in the same way in KC, because the transition happened in the offseason. But maybe back then, there might have been some division among the players and staff who were seeing how well Mahommes was doing and how limited Alex was in comparison. I don't know, Alex had two very interesting situations with very different dynamics, and I'd love to hear his side on both.

Kap also didn't develop into a megastar like Mahomes. That first year he was outstanding, but it seems like he never learned to read a defense or throw the ball with touch and the league kind of figured him out. I just don't think Kap was worth asking about honestly. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, GW21 said:

Kap also didn't develop into a megastar like Mahomes. That first year he was outstanding, but it seems like he never learned to read a defense or throw the ball with touch and the league kind of figured him out. I just don't think Kap was worth asking about honestly. 

It wasn't just Kap that was figured out, but the Roman offense as a whole, by then. So I'd still be interested in the perspective on that.

Edited by rudyZ

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/04/adam-schefter-49ers-trey-lance-pro-ready/

"People have these certain perceptions, and the Niners felt that Trey Lance was the smartest quarterback in this draft. And the most ready to play right away.”

Everything we have seen from him has corroborated this narrative. He goes through his reads very quickly and you can tell he processes information very well. 

Ironically, his issues have been physical. He has not been accurate because his mechanics were out of sync. Mentally, he was seeing the field very well and his decision making has always been elite. Its why he went an entire 16 game season without throwing an interception.

He understands the offense and knows what/how to do, its just a matter of getting his body to do it. He is in the middle of a massive mechanical overhaul and so it can take some time to get your eyes, feet, hips, and arm all tied together properly when you are making so many changes all at once. 

In his first start his footwork reverted to some bad habits and it made it hard for him to execute physically what he wanted to mentally. Its why I can watch that game and feel so great about how he will turn out in the long run. 

Its actually pretty hilarious that the prospect who was touted as the one with elite physical traits is actually the one who has struggled physically, while McCorkle is having success because he has similar processing skills, but his mind and his body are tied together in a way that Trey's are not right now.

So I think that everyone who tries to enter into the Mac vs Trey debate needs to understand that Trey has every bit of the "elite processing" that makes Mac a successful NFL QB, but that he is light weight physically unable to utilize that information in the same manner as Mac (for the time being) simply because he has not built up the requisite muscle memory. It comes with repetition.

Trey's physical traits are in the 99th percentile, but physical traits do not make you a mechanically sound QB. It is very rare for a QB with his physical traits to have such a great grasp on the mental side of the game so quickly. Usually, they have let their physical traits shine on the lower levels of football and have not developed the ability to read defenses in the same manner that Trey already can. Its actually the opposite in his case. He is very inexperienced, but the guy gets to his third read like a 10 year vet. Its why I am so encouraged by his lone start which was a game where he was wildly inaccurate and we lost lol 

So, I really dont care how McCorkle has looked in NE because there is a very reasonable path for Trey completely break the NFL

• Like 3

Considering Seattle is a unique place to play to some degree, it wouldn't be a bad idea to give Trey a taste of it for a few plays, for no other reason than it could help him mentally prepare next year when/if he is the starter. Im talking something like 2 snaps from under center, just to get him acclimated to a stadium he will hopefully play in once a year for the next 15 years

Honestly, I know it won't happen, but tomorrow, I'd put in Trey in that formation that had Deebo at RB, Kittle at FB, Wilson at TE and Juice at WR... the one that Jimmy missed a wide open Wilson the other week. Oh, I meant have Trey in Deebo's spot, with Jimmy still at QB. Imagine a double read option play, where Jimmy has a throwing option, or hands off to Trey, then Trey has a throwing option on the other side of the field, or the option to run. Or simply have him there as a decoy. Throw the ball to George out of the backfield. Hand if off to George. Have Wilson come back on a sweep and hand it off to him. Run a reverse with Aiyuk. How can a defense prepare against that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I improved a lot while using the vision cone, in Madden, back in the day...

Honestly, it's not the same as live reps, but we need Trey to do all he can to learn and improve. And if he puts the time in and it pays off, credit to him. I still think he gains valuable experience by watching the veterans on the team train, practice and play. He knows how an NFL sideline is during game day, perhaps in ways a starter couldn't possibly tell. I wish Jimmy could be mic'ed up all the time and they could find the sound to Trey's receiver at all time. Just imagine all the interactions that go on during a game. But there would be no reason for Jimmy to sign up for that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I improved a lot while using the vision cone, in Madden, back in the day...

Honestly, it's not the same as live reps, but we need Trey to do all he can to learn and improve. And if he puts the time in and it pays off, credit to him. I still think he gains valuable experience by watching the veterans on the team train, practice and play. He knows how an NFL sideline is during game day, perhaps in ways a starter couldn't possibly tell. I wish Jimmy could be mic'ed up all the time and they could find the sound to Trey's receiver at all time. Just imagine all the interactions that go on during a game. But there would be no reason for Jimmy to sign up for that. 

Did some digging about VR with QBs. Found this video with Jeff Garcia using the VR system. Graphics look like poo, but this video is from 3 or so years ago. Found it interesting.

9 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Did some digging about VR with QBs. Found this video with Jeff Garcia using the VR system. Graphics look like poo, but this video is from 3 or so years ago. Found it interesting.

Pretty sure Jimmy could have hit that TV...

• Like 1