Trey Lances devolopment (it failed)

49erurtaza

57 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Am I missing something? That seems like a positive article from the little bit I could read of it. 

The article is positive (though I find these to ultimately be empty calorie content...not that dissimilar to "so and so is in the best shape of his life this offseason!"... but just think of what this means for the actual evaluation on Trey Lance. 

We are 3 years into his career, on his 3rd QB coach, who is still finding mechanical flaws so big that they are causing him damage (arm soreness) and taking 4 days to diagnose lol. 

But wait, there's more! 

We also apparently completely misjudged his ability to use his legs at the next level if you believe Kawakami, and either thought he was the most pro-ready QB in the draft (per schefter) and were about as wrong as can, or we took a multi year project for a win now team that we didn't have the patience for. 

Like, we whiffed on every damn evaluation aspect of that pick possible LOL. 

• Like 1

From my understanding, I don't think the scouting department whiffed on Lance. This was all Kyle who whiffed on Lance. I've been holding onto this video but it's 49ers director of pro personnel RJ Gillen December before the NFL draft in 2021. His evolution on Lance is spot on to what he has shown in the NFL so far.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

From my understanding, I don't think the scouting department whiffed on Lance. This was all Kyle who whiffed on Lance. I've been holding onto this video but it's 49ers director of pro personnel RJ Gillen December before the NFL draft in 2021. His evolution on Lance is spot on to what he has shown in the NFL so far.

almost put in my last post how this feels like such a coach's arrogance type pick. This reeks of a guy who looks at a player and says "yeah, but wait until I get a hold of him" after scouts give him the full report on a guy. 

I didn't want to put it because it's not like some evaluators didn't love him. Ballard loved him and he's not a coach, obviously. So I think it's unfair to just label this the selection as over zealous arrogance by a coach. That said, I do think with just the type of player that Lance is and with he is in his development, this seems like more of a selection made by a guy with hands on then it does a scouting department. But that's pure guess work on my part. 

I do think that Lance got a huge push from his off field stuff, and I think that we have maybe over compensated just a bit on this since the Foster fiasco. In the weeks leading up to the draft, I actually thought he was going to be a guy who dropped, and I made a post about how we should trade down from 12 and pick him later in the first lol. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we value the team leader stuff more than just about every team in the league. I don't think that's a bad thing, necessarily...I think that's one of the reasons we have been so successful later in the draft to be honest (you're getting the guys who are coachable, putting in the work, etc), but the reports were that everyone just loved Lance. And he crushed interviews and was said to be incredibly smart.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I do think that Lance got a huge push from his off field stuff, and I think that we have maybe over compensated just a bit on this since the Foster fiasco

There is actually been some off-the-field issues with Lance the team hasn't been happy with and I'm not talking about the stripper video. 

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

There is actually been some off-the-field issues with Lance the team hasn't been happy with and I'm not talking about the stripper video. 

There were rumors that he is a partier, I think, but I don't have any major issues with that unless its cutting into his work. I haven't heard anything else. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

The article is positive (though I find these to ultimately be empty calorie content...not that dissimilar to "so and so is in the best shape of his life this offseason!"... but just think of what this means for the actual evaluation on Trey Lance. 

We are 3 years into his career, on his 3rd QB coach, who is still finding mechanical flaws so big that they are causing him damage (arm soreness) and taking 4 days to diagnose lol. 

But wait, there's more! 

We also apparently completely misjudged his ability to use his legs at the next level if you believe Kawakami, and either thought he was the most pro-ready QB in the draft (per schefter) and were about as wrong as can, or we took a multi year project for a win now team that we didn't have the patience for. 

Like, we whiffed on every damn evaluation aspect of that pick possible LOL. 

I definitely believe Kawakami on this just based on how they tried to deploy him his rookie year. I guess we'll see how it all plays out, but reading what I could about it, it sounds like they may have found the root of his issues, which I only see as a positive; better late than never. 

Again, not blindly supporting him because of what we gave up for him or because he's on the Niners, but I do think it's still too early to give up on him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Can you expand on this a bit? I'd be very interested to hear what these issues are. Like @Forge mentioned in an earlier post, his character was a huge draw for him leading up to the draft. 

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

I definitely believe Kawakami on this just based on how they tried to deploy him his rookie year. I guess we'll see how it all plays out, but reading what I could about it, it sounds like they may have found the root of his issues, which I only see as a positive; better late than never. 

Again, not blindly supporting him because of what we gave up for him or because he's on the Niners, but I do think it's still too early to give up on him. 

Oh, don't get me wrong...I'm not saying any of this as a disparagement of Lance. I haven't seen nearly enough to know what his status is going to be long term. Unfortunately, I'm not sure he'll ever get another "real" opportunity (not just with the 49ers, but with any team...once he enters cast off / reclamation project territory with other teams, he basically has no leash with which to grow...teams have nothing invested in him so they will just replace him). But I say this more as a criticism of the 49ers and how badly they judged him as a prospect and their own situation

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

So, someone help me out here.

Which QB are the 49ers in love with THIS week? and which one is on the trading block now?

Sorry, I lost track again... 

Don't worry, I have you covered. I crafted this handy flow chart to keep track of which QBs the organization likes

Go here if you are a 49ers QB; Are you Trey Lance; The 49ers like you; The 49ers don't like you | image tagged in flowchart | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

• Like 4

Before the draft I hated the trade. I’m just imagining even if we stayed put and took lance, we’d have two other first round picks on the roster. 

I didn’t like the pick at all. 

I wanted him to sit year one, which pretty much happened. Whether that’s what was best for both the team and Lance can be argued. 

Last year I was ready for him to be the guy and trusted that this team was right about him. Wanted him to get a long leash to prove what he could do and get comfortable in the NFL game. You can’t judge him either way on the Chicago game. 

This year I’m not trusting in him at all. Now he has to prove it. If he gets a shot it needs to be because he truly beat out Darnold and Purdy’s still out. A healthy Purdy would need to play like a completely different guy for me to say Lance deserves a shot over him. 

Curious what the cryptic off field post was about, but at least from what I’ve heard he seems like a great locker room and team guy, so it’s hard not to root for him. 

Edited by straighthate
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, straighthate said:

Last year I was ready for him to be the guy and trusted that this team was right about him. Wanted him to get a long leash to prove what he could do and get comfortable in the NFL game. You can’t judge him either way on the Chicago game. 

This year I’m not trusting in him at all. Now he has to prove it. If he gets a shot it needs to be because he truly beat out Darnold and Purdy’s still out. A healthy Purdy would need to play like a completely different guy for me to say Lance deserves a shot over him. 

Curious what changed for you between this year and last confidence wise? 

40 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Curious what changed for you between this year and last confidence wise? 

I may have worded it a little vague. Nothing changed in my confidence in him. More so my patience. He was given the opportunity to win the job as a rookie (may be debatable but I believe if he killed it in camp he would have been the guy) and then last year was handed the job. We’ve put enough resources into him. We don’t have another season to hope he’s the guy, especially when Purdy showed what he did last year. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 8:22 AM, straighthate said:

Before the draft I hated the trade. I’m just imagining even if we stayed put and took lance, we’d have two other first round picks on the roster. 

We wouldn't have gotten him if we stayed put, the Falcons wanted him at 4

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

We wouldn't have gotten him if we stayed put, the Falcons wanted him at 4

Has this ever been substantiated?

I heard the rumblings post draft but never saw anything to cement this as true.

And I agree with the not trading up. 

Really should have stayed pat and drafted Mac or maybe a minor trade up to 10 to take Fields.