It's time to take a stand (Damarious Randall)

MacReady

Will Damarious Randall have a Davante third year type rebound?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Will Damarious Randall have a Davante third year type rebound?

Do you believe, or do you doubt? 

I am going all in saying I believe that not only is he going to have a better year than last year, but that he is going to flash serious playmaking ability playing in multiple positions (nickle, boundary, maybe even safety). 

Evidence: He flashed serious playmaking ability in his first year as a pro with three interceptions, one of which going for a touchdown.  He had a CLUTCH play late in the Panthers game his rookie year in which he picked off Cam Newton and nearly returned it for a touchdown. 

Even injured this year, he still had 3 interceptions, not including an interception that he returned 78 yards against the Giants in the playoffs (that people seem to forget somehow). 

[Edit: Holy friggin' crap. This forum saves drafts of messages. EXCELLENT ADDITION WEBBY!]

Yes and no. Adams' third year was one for the ages. He also had Rodgers throwing him the rock to elevate him.

Randall takes a definite step forward, though, primarily because he's moving to the slot. The closer he's to the ball the better. That Newton interception you referenced is a great example of his instinct and big-play ability. Palmy also somewhat emphasized that if it clicks for Randall--and it has at times, minus the groin surgery and the effect that had--he's going to be a ballhawk that makes game-changing plays. We've seen flashes for sure. We've seen him give up chunks too, and I'm sure he will this year (even if he's healthy). He's aggressive and calculative. Put that in the slot and you're looking at more big plays.

Hell, when we played Hayward in the STAR role he led the damn league in interceptions. Randall has the same/better athleticism. Add the massive chip on his shoulder and I could see a 4-5 interception season and several big plays. I still think he'll give up his share, though. But yeah, he's going to be fun to watch when he's not on one leg and stranded on the boundary. 

Still believe Randall will end up at safety after Burnett is allowed to leave after this year.  He will team up with Dix, Jones, Brice to keep us very strong at the position.  He reminds me of Nick Collins with a little better man coverage skills.

Just now, Dubz41 said:

Still believe Randall will end up at safety after Burnett is allowed to leave after this year.  He will team up with Dix, Jones, Brice to keep us very strong at the position.  He reminds me of Nick Collins with a little better man coverage skills.

How much 3 man safety looks do you think we're going to play?  You've got HaHa, Jones, and even Brice at safety.

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

How much 3 man safety looks do you think we're going to play?  You've got HaHa, Jones, and even Brice at safety.

Honestly? I think we will play a lot of it.  I also think Jones will see more snaps as nickel/dime LB than at safety. JMO.

On 7/26/2017 at 10:31 AM, CWood21 said:

Not to mention I really think Burnett is a guy that will get a 3rd contract. If he's healthy and has a good year, I don't see us just letting him walk. 

4 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Not to mention I really think Burnett is a guy that will get a 3rd contract. If he's healthy and has a good year, I don't see us just letting him walk. 

I know we disagree in that regard, but if Burnett does get that 3rd contract he's pretty much an auto-start at safety.  And given that Josh Jones has gotten a LOT of ILB look in the early portion of camp, Randall would be the 3rd safety.

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I know we disagree in that regard, but if Burnett does get that 3rd contract he's pretty much an auto-start at safety.  And given that Josh Jones has gotten a LOT of ILB look in the early portion of camp, Randall would be the 3rd safety.

Looks like first 2 days that Burnett is getting more ilb reps than Jones. Fwiw...

I don't think Randall is going to play nickle as much as a lot of people seem to think he will.

With Burnett playing so much at linebacker, with Gunter getting first team reps on the outside, and with the overall maneuverability of our secondary, I don't think many players other than Gunter are going to play exclusively one role.  By midseason, I expect King/Randall/House/Burnett/Clinton-Dix/Jones will be on the field together more often than not, and in an assortment of different roles. 

On 7/28/2017 at 10:13 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't think Randall is going to play nickle as much as a lot of people seem to think he will.

With Burnett playing so much at linebacker, with Gunter getting first team reps on the outside, and with the overall maneuverability of our secondary, I don't think many players other than Gunter are going to play exclusively one role.  By midseason, I expect King/Randall/House/Burnett/Clinton-Dix/Jones will be on the field together more often than not, and in an assortment of different roles. 

I think Dom would prefer that kind of flexibility if we're being honest.  And hasn't it been Josh Jones, not Morgan Burnett, that has been playing quite a bit of LB in camp?

Archived