Has Wentz done enough to earn a few more years with the Colts?

coffeedrinker

Asking just as a topic of conversation.

Stats

His TD to int. rate is good.  His yards and yards per attempt are a little low, but his yards per completion is good.

He is a bit of an enigma, I can't really think of some great plays that he made where after the game I thought, wow Wentz won the game for the Colts.  And it seems like he has one or two bone headed plays per game but then, like in the Tenn game, the bone headed play actually helped the Colts.  If Wentz takes a sack and a safety the Colts kick to Tenn and it's game over.  By throwing the pick 6 he gave the Colts a chance and it paid off, he then helped march the Colts down the field for the game tying score.

Please don't read anything into this about whether or not I like Wentz.  Just would like some takes other than my own.

I think he has, at the least, reserved the right to continue to start in 2022. Considering he has had a limited off season and limited contact with his receivers he has slowly started to gain faith in them. Realistically, his contract leaves it open to cutting him after the 2022 season with no cap penalties so if things don’t work out next season we can release him. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up on this.  Yesterday may have been his best game as a Colt.  Nothing great stat wise but he made big plays when they were needed and he made good line calls with that oline (some additional comments on the oline below) and when he changed the play it usually put the Colts in a good situation.

On the oline, man it's great to see that type of depth the Colts have.  Pinter and Reed would start for a lot of teams, the only bad olineman yesterday was Davenport but he was what the #3 tackle.  But kudos to the oline coach for having those guys ready, CB for getting that type of depth along the line and for Wentz for keeping the Colts in a good situation and not exposing those guys and of course to the lineman themselves.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TheRustonRifle said:

It should get interesting over the next few weeks to see how Indy handles The Wentz situation.  Unless they can get a better upgrade, they almost have to stick out with him.  His cap hit would be 15 million, I believe.  I really had hope for him but I am not sure if he is the long term answer.

Yeah, and Ballard didn't pull a lot of punches when talking about Wentz and his bad game against Jax.  I'm kinda a fan of Carson Strong of Nevada... I look forward to watching some of the game films on youtube.

16 minutes ago, coffeedrinker said:

Yeah, and Ballard didn't pull a lot of punches when talking about Wentz and his bad game against Jax.  I'm kinda a fan of Carson Strong of Nevada... I look forward to watching some of the game films on youtube.

I have heard about Strong and will definitely check him out as well.  I believe you were on "Cranky Colts" many years ago?

On 1/21/2022 at 4:13 PM, TheRustonRifle said:

I have heard about Strong and will definitely check him out as well.  I believe you were on "Cranky Colts" many years ago?

If CrankyColts is a site, I have not been on that.  I used to post on the Indy Star Colts forum back when Manning was drafted and then I moved to Colts.com and now here but I've always been Coffeedrinker on all sites.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coffeedrinker said:

If CrankyColts is a site, I have not been on that.  I used to post on the Indy Star Colts forum back when Manning was drafted and then I moved to Colts.com and now here but I've always been Coffeedrinker on all sites.

I am corrected, it wasn't "Cranky Colts", it was the Indy Star one.  Either way, you were a very reasonable poster.  Plus, I believe you are a fellow Empire stater?  Anyway, nice reconnecting!

• Like 2