2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We all have house insurance, car insurance, life insurance.

We need some RG and OT insurance.

Guys you know are capable of stepping in and starting if the draft doesn’t go the way you want.

Nobody disagrees with that. The difference is that you need it RIGHT NOWWWWWWW, where some of us are willing to be more patient with it. 

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

OL is not a position where guys come in and play at a high level early. Some do, a vast majority don’t.

“At a high level” and “competently” are two very different things. The former is seemingly a you need and is agreeably unrealistic, while the latter is far more common and the approach our GM seems to be taking. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Nobody disagrees with that. The difference is that you need it RIGHT NOWWWWWWW, where some of us are willing to be more patient with it. 

I need it before the options are depleted. 

The OL market is thin and thinning quickly. While we were waiting for Buffalo, a perfect RG with OT ability, signed in Denver for less than 5 million.

Just now, WindyCity said:

I need it before the options are depleted. 

The OL market is thin and thinning quickly. While we were waiting for Buffalo, a perfect RG with OT ability, signed in Denver for less than 5 million.

Funny, but you didn’t seem to be interested in Billy Turner at all until he signed elsewhere. 

• Like 2

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

“At a high level” and “competently” are two very different things. The former is seemingly a you need and is agreeably unrealistic, while the latter is far more common and the approach our GM seems to be taking. 

I meant high level for a rookie.

Competent is even a stretch.

Rookie OLmen struggle to play average starting level football more often than not.

Okay here is point I wanted to make earlier and lacked time because my day has been insane and still is.   So not going to have time to flesh it out with evidence.

So many people have pointed out both here and elsewhere that FA agency 'winners' are most often losers in Ws and Ls and good teams are built through the draft.

I agree with that generally.   But spending in FA itself isn't a causation for failure.   It is bad spending in FA that is.   The poor choices of players - either through attitude or end of their careers.

I think the FA and trade 'losers' are making bad FA decisions AND bad drafts.   They are just poorly run franchises and that includes the Bears in recent history back to 80s.  

Jaguars spent too much on Kirk and Scherff this year IMO.   Those are poor FA choices.  I don't consider that 'winning' FA or offseason even though they may have spent the most.  

Washington has made tons of over top really bad FA bad decisions since Snyder took control.  Too many to list.  

But not every big FA move or trade for a veteran is bad.    I have already pointed out that I think this season Cooper to Browns was good.   DJ Chark was good.   BJ Hill was good.  Brian Allen was good.   Robert Tonyan was good.   

Rams don't win a SB without Jalen Ramsey and Stafford on roster - I didn't like the move for Von Miller - but point is FA signings and bold trades aren't all automatically bad.

A Ramsey and a Stafford move the needle a lot.   You need those types of players to win championships.  

Patriots have lived off FA signings for a long time and often fairly poor drafting.   Good team building is about making good choices in FA, not abstaining from it.

I think you need a serviceable team pre-draft so you can go BPA and not be a prisoner to need.   You need FA to get that done.   It can be wise and targeted.   You can leave off easy to fill positions like off ball LB and guard until cuts or whatever.   

But QBs, corners, OTs, Edge players, ball hawking safeties and number 1 WRs are really hard to find in draft.      

I would never pass on any guy I had rated as a blue chip player in draft due to position need and I would never want to be in that position.

The Bears are heading into that position at moment.

On 3/14/2022 at 10:10 PM, AZBearsFan said:

There have literally been 3 WR signings (Kirk, Jones, Wilson).

OL still available include (in no particular order): 

G/C Daniels

C Bozeman

T Armstead

G Norwell

C Paradis

T Fisher

T D Williams

T Reiff

T Moses

G B Turner

G T Turner

C Price

G Incognito

C Pocic

G Hernandez

G C Williams 

T Kelly

G/T Wylie

…and that’s guys who might be brought in with at least some expectation of starting and performing at an adequate or better starter level. Some expected to play at a high level. Plus a pretty deep draft class at both T and G. 

On 3/14/2022 at 11:02 PM, WindyCity said:

That list, outside of Armstead and Bozeman, is super underwhelming.

WR is obviously a stronger market still.

🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But QBs, corners, OTs, Edge players, ball hawking safeties and number 1 WRs are really hard to find in draft.    

That’s true, but I would contend they’re even harder to find in FA, because most never get to FA until they’re long past their prime. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

🤷‍♂️

Early in free agency it would have been an underwhelming move.

After seeing we weren’t going to do anything meaningful on the OL, Turner became a more appealing option.

Turner > Nothing at all.

Turner > remaining options