2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

33 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

An incentive laden contract would be what I would want but he's too big a name to bite on that imo. 

Dude is without a doubt the best FA OL and it isn't really close imo. Problem is you know you will need a back up OT for him specifically, so you REALLY have to bank on the other OT staying healthy. 

You've mentioned the exact reason I'm not rushing to him.  

I’m not rushing either. I think the idea would have to be that Borom is the swing and a capable backup.

If we’re blowing out the budget I’m doing it for Collins well before TA. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not rushing either. I think the idea would have to be that Borom is the swing and a capable backup.

If we’re blowing out the budget I’m doing it for Collins well before TA. 

Can’t do it. Would be happy with both, but Collins has injury concerns and suspension concerns.

Armstead is also a lot better than Collins. Armstead is a top 5 LT in the NFL.

Even if we get 12 games of him, that is the best OLmen we have had… since Olin.

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

What he said. A 2nd round OL, especially an interior OL, should be expected to perform at a starter level right away IMO. What are we asking a R2/3 rookie WR to do certainly matters too. Making an impact does not have to mean being a top tier player from jump IMO. 

They just don’t do so and if they do start it isn’t at a very high level.

Go look at last years 2nd round. Like 2/10 picks actually played at a high level. Most barely played.

WRs we have seen come on quickly. But OL not as much.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Is Armstead really someone we want?

Dude hasn't played a full season in all 9 years of his NFL career and will be 31 by the time the season starts and likely won't come cheap either.

Someone please convince me signing him would be a shrewd move because I'm not seeing it.

I know he has ability but the best ability is availability is it not? And history tells us buyer beware with guys like him ...

He is one on the top 5 LTs in the game.

Even if he plays 12 games that makes the line Infinitely better.

-Jenkins moves to his more natural RT (RT is better)

-The LG beside him gets a bump because he is awesome. (LG is better.)

-He doesn’t need help in pass pro, which means you can help the other 4 guys in pass pro more. (Everyone is better)

-You don’t need to keep the TE in as much. (the passing game is better)

He is a multiplier.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He look like someone who might make for a decent piece? Good interior depth at least? 

He is very much so a ZBS guard...lacks power when 1on1 in both the run game and in pass pro and stronger DL will cause him problems but when he gets on the move he is really fluid and quick twitch for a linemen...has active hands...plays with great hustle and always seems to be down the field helping recievers off screens and shorter routes...from what I have read he would also be able to provide depth at centre and even in a real pinch so RT help help...seems like he would make a solid 6th man IMO.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

Agreed. I don't think we'll see a high-value FA acquisition.

This is a consequence of having 45M in dead money. The good news is the Bears can roll over as much unused cap space as they want into 2023.

I feel as if this year will be about fully evaluating what we still have on the roster and trying to hit big in the draft after trading down to amass more picks...I also think we instantly become a great destination for any UDFA give how little we have spent and how much opportunity there will be to make the roster here...if we can hit on one or two of those guys to pad out roster spots as well that would be huge.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I feel as if this year will be about fully evaluating what we still have on the roster and trying to hit big in the draft after trading down to amass more picks...I also think we instantly become a great destination for any UDFA give how little we have spent and how much opportunity there will be to make the roster here...if we can hit on one or two of those guys to pad out roster spots as well that would be huge.

I agree. I expect a lot of young players to step into larger roles. I think success in 2022 will be finding some lesser-known guys who can be part of this team's core. I also wouldn't rule out trading veterans like Quinn and Jackson.

6 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I agree. I expect a lot of young players to step into larger roles. I think success in 2022 will be finding some lesser-known guys who can be part of this team's core. I also wouldn't rule out trading veterans like Quinn and Jackson.

I'm not a huge fan of trading away good, reasonably priced veteran's in these situations...we still need people around the organisation who can show them how to put the work in to year after year be productive...I would carry Quinn's $17.5 million for that alone considering guys like Gipson, Muhammad, Jones & Tonga are all young and will need someone to look up to and feed off...I also expect Jackson to be playing with a ton of really young guys and we will badly need a veteran presence back there.

If you really want to see just how key the 2023 offseason is going to be then just look at what we can do with post June 1st cuts for our three highest paid players…

Robert Quinn…$4.23 million to the dead cap…$14 million saved

Eddie Jackson…$3.99 million to the dead cap…$13.1 million saved

Cody Whitehair…$4.2 million to the dead cap…$9.9 million saved

There is a good chance all three of these guys are gone next offseason…this team is going to look incredibility different over the next 2-3 years.

• Like 1