2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Sorry man but the "Picks don't matter" argument is based on what has just happened with the Rams and not a lot else...look at the NFL for years...the best teams are built through the draft...let's say Hill blows out his ACL in game 2 next year...then what? Where is the depth? Where are the other guys to step up? The best teams are build in the draft and us trading for Hill would have been a terrible move.

The Patriots must have been pissed they gave a 4th rounder for Randy Moss. He could've gotten hurt! C'mon man, you can't use that logic. If any GM thought that way, I would hope they get fired.

I'm all for draft picks and this and that, but how many of these guys are even serviceable depth? Seriously, how many 2nd rounders in Bears history have ever mattered? Tyreek Hill is a game changer, Davante is a game changer, OBJ is a game changer. Alex Bars played just as well as James Daniel and he was a UDFA.

Just now, The_Romen said:

The Patriots must have been pissed they gave a 4th rounder for Randy Moss. He could've gotten hurt! C'mon man, you can't use that logic. If any GM thought that way, I would hope they get fired.

I'm all for draft picks and this and that, but how many of these guys are even serviceable depth? Seriously, how many 2nd rounders in Bears history have ever mattered? Tyreek Hill is a game changer, Davante is a game changer, OBJ is a game changer. Alex Bars played just as well as James Daniel and he was a UDFA.

A 4th round pick is very different from 5 draft picks and that is where the issue is...you start giving up that many picks and a huge contact and suddenly you find yourself with real depth and development issues...a team who were ready to win it all could get away with it...a team like us or the Dolphins very much so can't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

A 4th round pick is very different from 5 draft picks and that is where the issue is...you start giving up that many picks and a huge contact and suddenly you find yourself with real depth and development issues...a team who were ready to win it all could get away with it...a team like us or the Dolphins very much so can't.

Isn't that where wave 2/3 of free agency comes into play?

14 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I understand the value of draft picks but seeing teams get playmakers for basically peanuts is depressing.

31 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Isn't that where wave 2/3 of free agency comes into play?

Given his contract you put yourself in a bind there too...Armstead & Hill will basically stop them from being able to really compete for quality depth...then because they traded away lots of picks you can't fill that with cheap rookies who can develop long term...I think had a team like Buffalo done this then it would be okay because they are so close...a team like Miami who have a huge question mark at QB are just desperate at this point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I think, but am not sure, that Landry has attitude problems and likely wants more $$ than I would spend on him.

For right price I would take him.

I don’t recall seeing the attitude stuff. If it’s there it’s an issue for sure. I’ve always heard he was a hard-working pro. He’s clearly willing to play injured and work in the gritty areas of the field, and that’s highly desirable to me. 

Hard to have it both ways financially though. Can’t really complain about only acquiring bargain bin talent in FA if you’re only willing to shop from the clearance shelves. The point to which I was responding was contending that FA was gutted for competent WR talent, and I don’t think it is. What’s there has warts of some kind (probably why it’s there)… but also unquestionable talent. Landry is young enough that you could make him a multi-year signing and not pay through the teeth this year, but, signing him probably means either you’re not taking a WR high or you paid a whole lot for Pringle to be a WR4 sooner than later, and I don’t think they did that. Because of that my money for the next vet signing is on one of those other guys I listed. I like Fuller in that role but I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority on that. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hello Bears fans.  I was just thinking that the Bears have been pretty quiet in free agency so far.  Are you guys really up against the cap, or is the new GM/HC combo just wanting to build only through the draft? 

We still have around $30 million in cap space...Poles is just building the team correctly and targeting free agents who are true fits and not just out there overpaying...we will build through the draft this year then probably be a bit more aggressive in the 2023 offseason. 

Just now, Madmike90 said:

We still have around $30 million in cap space...Poles is just building the team correctly and targeting free agents who are true fits and not just out there overpaying...we will build through the draft this year then probably be a bit more aggressive in the 2023 offseason. 

Nothing wrong with that.  The Bears finally have a quarterback who has the potential to be great.  I'm really hoping they do what they need to do to bring him along the right way.  It sounds like they are being smart about it, and that's a good thing.

• Like 1