Week 14 2021 - GDT - Saints (5-7) @ Jets (3-9)

Mid Iowa

11 hours ago, Dome said:

Last year Murray rushed for over 800 yards and had 11 TDs, so it's not like we don't see what he's capable of as a rusher. That's like Kamara rushing numbers. 

I like Taysom but comparing him to Jackson, at any level, is just as bad as Payton calling him the next Steve Young. 

He's a rich man's Tim Tebow, not a poor man's Lamar Jackson.

I’m not comparing him to Lamar. I’m saying Lamar is the only QB in the league that is a better runner than him IMO. 

I think there is a difference between guys like Kyler and Taysom. Taysom is a threat to house it, hurdle your S and stiff arm a CB. Kyler is going to slide. I think it makes Taysom way more dangerous but also obviously puts him at injury risk. I think secondaries generally have no interest in trying to tackle Taysom Hill lol

Murray certainly makes better decisions when running to prolong his career compared to Hill, but that doesn't make him less effective as a runner. Murray absolutely puts defenders on skates when he jukes them. He's had a ton of 20+ yard runs so far in his career. Just don't think most including myself would take Hill's running ability over his. Murray certainly doesn't have to rely on it as much as Hill as he's obviously a way better passer, but that doesn't mean his ability with his legs isn't better as well.

22 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Murray certainly makes better decisions when running to prolong his career compared to Hill, but that doesn't make him less effective as a runner. Murray absolutely puts defenders on skates when he jukes them. He's had a ton of 20+ yard runs so far in his career. Just don't think most including myself would take Hill's running ability over his. Murray certainly doesn't have to rely on it as much as Hill as he's obviously a way better passer, but that doesn't mean his ability with his legs isn't better as well.

They average an identical Y/A and I think we would both agree Taysom runs the ball FAR more in “obvious run situations”. You can take Kyler but stop acting like it’s a crazy stance to say Taysom is the better runner. 

I mean if we are basing of ypc, Justin Fields and Jalen Hurts have higher ypc than Taysom Hill. Point being I just don't see Hill being this clear cut best QB running the ball after Lamar Jackson. I certainly think he is right around top 5 though. Just think Kyler is better and Hurts and Fields are right there with him.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Well Taysom can barely throw.  Most of those other guys might be slightly worse runners, but they're almost all better passers.

That’s why I don’t like the comps QB at all, because he is not a passer but a thrower.

he’s more comparable to Tim Tebow than he is to the other guys listed 

Edited by Dome

18 minutes ago, Dome said:

That’s why I don’t like the comps QB at all, because he is not a passer but a thrower.

he’s more comparable to Tim Tebow than he is to the other guys listed 

For sure, but I think he's a way better passer than Tebow was. I'm higher on Taysom than most, but I think he's on that great backup/good enough starter level of player. I think he's a different type of player, but talent wise I'd compare him more to Ryan Fitzpatrick. I don't think he's a detriment to the team when he plays QB but he certainly isn't the guy who brings your team to the next level. I think he's a high end backup. 

15 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I will say Taysom still looks great running even at his age.  The dude is an athleye you gotta give him that.

His athleticism is being wasted IMO.  if you make him a full time ST ace he would be a pro bowler on ST. Maybe not a literal pro bowler but his play would be in the highest tier of ST aces.

He could still be a gadget player on offense too but Payton’s belief in his has assured he’ll never be used like that again.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 9:03 AM, Dome said:

His athleticism is being wasted IMO.  if you make him a full time ST ace he would be a pro bowler on ST. Maybe not a literal pro bowler but his play would be in the highest tier of ST aces.

He could still be a gadget player on offense too but Payton’s belief in his has assured he’ll never be used like that again.

Right now it's not a matter of fielding a good QB. That's off the table...that doesn't exist on this Saints roster. The question is whether or not Taysom Hill is the best that we have...which is probably is. Siemian is just so bad...I never want to see him on the field again. At least with Taysom it gives opposing defenses something to think about. 

Taysom is a slightly rich man's Tebow. He's not a good QB...but he's better than Tebow. And he is a good runner...better than Tebow. Tebow was pretty brutal as a starting QB, but he did win a playoff game on a Broncos team that was probably worse than this current's Saints team. Expectations should continue to be very guarded regarding this team's long-term success...but I suppose they can make the playoffs in this crappy NFC with expanded playoff system and if they do...who knows? The Giants sucked and won two Super Bowl's with Eli. The Eagles won a Super Bowl with Nick Foles. The Saints defense is good enough to win against anyone. They just have to get into the playoffs and see what happens.

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Right now it's not a matter of fielding a good QB. That's off the table...that doesn't exist on this Saints roster. The question is whether or not Taysom Hill is the best that we have...which is probably is. Siemian is just so bad...I never want to see him on the field again. At least with Taysom it gives opposing defenses something to think about. 

Taysom is a slightly rich man's Tebow. He's not a good QB...but he's better than Tebow. And he is a good runner...better than Tebow. Tebow was pretty brutal as a starting QB, but he did win a playoff game on a Broncos team that was probably worse than this current's Saints team. Expectations should continue to be very guarded regarding this team's long-term success...but I suppose they can make the playoffs in this crappy NFC with expanded playoff system and if they do...who knows? The Giants sucked and won two Super Bowl's with Eli. The Eagles won a Super Bowl with Nick Foles. The Saints defense is good enough to win against anyone. They just have to get into the playoffs and see what happens.

Agreed. Also, not many teams can contain Taysom/Kamara running like the Bucs. They have an elite front 7. Taysom should be able to find some running room against other teams, especially if we get Armstead and Ramcyzk back. You really just need Taysom to not turn the ball over. That throw he had late last night was horrible and could've been an INT that loses us the game, you can't do that. Just manage the game. Take the easy play and don't turn it over.

On 12/18/2021 at 9:03 AM, Dome said:

I don't think Payton believes he's the long term answer at QB. At least I hope not.