Former NFL player Phillip Adams found to have severe CTE / Discussion on CTE and the future of the NFL

incognito_man

"A former NFL player who fatally shot six people before taking his own life in South Carolina this year had "unusually severe" stage 2 CTE, a brain disease linked to head injuries, a Boston University neuropathologist said."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/14/us/phillip-adams-nfl-cte/index.html

The gladiator reign lasted for nearly 1,000 years in Rome - how much longer does the NFL have do we think?

(I am just going to keep creating this thread - BS that it was locked)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The gladiator reign lasted for nearly 1,000 years in Rome - how much longer does the NFL have do we think?

A lot. Because the NFL is taking all the crazy hard hits out of the game. You can still get it, obviously, but gladiators were at such a significantly higher risk that this entire statement is silly.

• Like 1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

And your not? Explain then

If he agreed to have to his brain examined for CTE prior to his death then they can tell.  I haven't read THIS story yet so I don't know if that's the case but it sounds alot like this.

A neuropathologist has examined the brains of 111 N.F.L. players — and 110 were found to have C.T.E., the degenerative disease linked to repeated blows to the head.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If he agreed to have to his brain examined for CTE prior to his death then they can tell.  I haven't read THIS story yet so I don't know if that's the case but it sounds alot like this.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html

Its just interesting that they have the technology to know that after a bullet destroyed the source. I believe they do, but I just dont know how. 

@ET80 Is it okay to discuss what further procedures the NFL could take to prevent CTE? (although I know this would get derailed quickly too). I'm asking because that's the direction I was going to try to steer this conversation towards, because to be honest I don't think there's anything else that can be said here related to football.

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Its just interesting that they have the technology to know that after a bullet destroyed the source. I believe they do, but I just dont know how. 

I'm not a brain surgeon so you're asking the wrong person. But I would rather wait to see if we get the okay to discuss the grey area here before going deeper in this convo.