2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm so torn on this possible match. 

So am I. I see the value in bringing in a vet to help mold Ahkello and a young corner we draft and be a leader in the locker room, but I can't stand the guy. 

Also, this defense was built around his ability in Seattle. I honestly don't know how to feel anymore. 

Seems inevitable he signs here. He went to Stanford, and he's from Compton. I think he will want to stay on the west coast. 

I'm not a fan. I'd rather not, but I don't have any control. Of all the loud mouth corners we could have brought in... 

Would be accept a role as a rotational corner? I'm not so sure 

14 minutes ago, N4L said:

Seems inevitable he signs here. He went to Stanford, and he's from Compton. I think he will want to stay on the west coast. 

I'm not a fan. I'd rather not, but I don't have any control. Of all the loud mouth corners we could have brought in... 

Its out there that he wants to play in New England. I just don't know what kind of deal that they would offer. They aren't going to break the bank for him, and honestly, I think it'd be a very similar deal to the one they gave to Revis (basically a one year deal where the second was fake). I don't know if he wants to take that. I'm sure that there has to be some temptation for him to get to play Seattle twice a year as well if he signs with us. 

The thing about Sherm is, he's been a ball hawk. It's been a long time since we have had a ball hawk in the secondary - one of the reasons I have advocated signing for Grimes on a 1 or 2 year deal. There have been 3 corners in the NFL who have intercepted more passes the last two years then our entire cornerback depth chart. That's pretty damning. We need to create more turnovers defensively, and theoretically, he can do that. I don't feel like being a guy who breaks up passes or provides decent coverage is enough - we need a guy with ball skills. 

5 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I would not be surprised at all if we grab Sherman and T. Johnson. Looks like we are spending our draft finding and edge rusher anyway, so they sure up the secondary in FA, maybe grab a OG, ILB, Wr in FA and draft a late round/ developmental CB

I'd be a little surprised if we grab them both, if only because neither of them or Spoon is really a slot guy, and I don't know if we would back pedal on Spoon's development like that. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd be a little surprised if we grab them both, if only because neither of them or Spoon is really a slot guy, and I don't know if we would back pedal on Spoon's development like that. 

More then likely we sign one and them draft a corner in the first 3 rounds to develop.

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

More then likely we sign one and them draft a corner in the first 3 rounds to develop.

Agreed. If we do sign another, I'm still beating the drum for Ross cockrell. Only 26, very good zone corner (not good in man), so he'd have a specific role. Wouldn't threaten the fa signing or spoon, but provides quality depth and would still see quality snaps

The reason I say we sign both is we have the Cap space to sign Johnson for a long term (4-5 ur deal) and Sherman to a very short term prove it deal. Witherspoon hasn’t solidified a starting spot, he was just better than what we had. He is talented, but if we can get Johnson on one side and let Sherman compete for the second spot with Witherspoon, that’s a no brainer. I’m not saying it’s gonna happen, but it’s a possibility. I just don’t see the Niners not signing another Cb after they sign Sherman with his recent health issues

Looks like it could get done soon. Since he has such good instincts and is a ball hawk, maybe he could move to safety if he just can't play corner anymore? 

And since Sherman is such a risk at this point, I'm not convinced it takes us away from the Johnson or Butler sweepstakes. 

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I guess I'm just not buying the potential 4D chess campaign from Shanahan and/or Lynch. I watch a lot of their pressers, and I just don't get that kind of vibe from this regime. Maybe it does happen. Shanahan after he was shut down did on at length saying that he did want him here for the long term, and though it was a good idea to have him shut it down. Or something to that effect. I'm too lazy to go find the exact presser, but from what I remember it wasn't even a big deal at all to him when Brown's season ended. 

At any rate, I don't see a better option this upcoming season at RT. 

We really don't have much to work with. Where are the leaks when we need them?!

But really, if we like him so much, why haven't we signed him yet? We haven't even waited a year to extend Goodwin, but we wait so long on extending who could arguably be our second most important OL, the guy who has to protect our 137 million investment? If we really believe in him, what are we waiting for? Then again, it might be Brown himself holding off. Maybe try to increase his value by performing well in his last contract year, maybe threatening of testing the market. I don't know.

Historically, Brown doesn't fit the mold of the OTs Shanahan has worked with. And I have my theory that maybe Kyle wants his OL to be more run-blocking-oriented, given that Jimmy has that quick release and seems to be very good even when the pocket isn't perfect. And it doesn't mean whoever we'd replace Brown with would automatically suck at pass pro. Maybe Kyle just wants to improve the unit's overall run-blocking, open bigger holes for the RBs, open up the passing game.

8 hours ago, N4L said:

But does he have royal blood?

Archived