2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

We don't even know how accurate that info was - that was only one person's impression after talking with Lynch. May or may not be accurate. Will find out this week. 

Here the video has a interview with Lynch in it.

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

Here the video has a interview with Lynch in it

Building your roster with marginal talents and free agents, what a great idea lol. Still, going to play the wait and see game. No telling how much is just complete and utter crap lol

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Building your roster with marginal talents and free agents, what a great idea lol. Still, going to play the wait and see game. No telling how much is just complete and utter crap lol

This is true, we could end up with one big name.

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Here's more of what he said he didn't actually say what's being said. Sounds like he means they just want to get players who fit.

5 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Here's more of what he said he didn't actually say what's being said. 

See, if that's the actual interview that Wyche is referring to, I don't take that to mean we are targeting marginal free agents at all. To me what he's saying is that we aren't going to make splashy free agent signings just for the sake of making splashy free agent moves. We want people that fit in, and that comes first and foremost. If it's splashy name who also fits, we'd be in on him. 

Just now, Forge said:

See, if that's the actual interview that Wyche is referring to, I don't take that to mean we are targeting marginal free agents at all. To me what he's saying is that we aren't going to make splashy free agent signings just for the sake of making splashy free agent moves. We want people that fit in, and that comes first and foremost. If it's splashy name who also fits, we'd be in on him. 

Yeah I agree glad I came across this clip. Now we can hype it back up lol

Who exactly, in this free agent class, is a bonafide superstar? People could argue that about Cousins, I guess, but we don't need a QB. I'm not sure there's anything close to a consensus that Robinson is one, and lots of people don't see Norwell as anything more than an above average guard. I don't get the sudden anger at potentially not overpaying for above average players with reasonable question marks. We give 13m to a premier CB with reasonable question marks (the injury and age), yet it's a foregone conclusion that we are averse to paying talented free agents? 

I prefer to believe that if we don't sign some of these guys, it's simply a matter of talent evaluation, where we don't think their talent justify the investment. It's the fit. I too was underwhelmed by Malcolm Smith's overwhelming salary. But they were looking for the fit, and hoping that in our system, he would overplay his contract. Do people actually think a 10m+ Allen Robinson will overplay his contract? Do people think Norwell is so good that his play couldn't be matched by a potential draft pick? Or are we simply overrating free agents simply because they're the best available on the market, at positions of relative need? I too want to get a better receiver, and improve the interior offensive line, and add a premier pass rusher. But where are the premier pass rushers in this free agent class? How good is Norwell, really? And why can't we be legitimately concerned about Robinson's recovery and overall effectiveness before and after his injury? I don't necessarily see complacency. 

29 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

We give 13m to a premier CB with reasonable question marks (the injury and age), yet it's a foregone conclusion that we are averse to paying talented free agents? 

But we didn't really...we are willing to pay that much it it comes to that, but we definitely are not giving it to him. Right now the most we can say is that we are giving him 9 million for one year. It's a buy low deal. I don't really consider that the same thing. 

I too was underwhelmed by Malcolm Smith's overwhelming salary. But they were looking for the fit, and hoping that in our system, he would overplay his contract

That would have been really hard to do considering how much we gave him lol. He's the 15th highest paid 4-3 outside linebacker in football. 

Do people actually think a 10m+ Allen Robinson will overplay his contract?

Don't need him to overplay his contract honestly. I think it's a mistake to look at it like the only good signings are the ones that outplay their contract. 

Do people think Norwell is so good that his play couldn't be matched by a potential draft pick? Or are we simply overrating free agents simply because they're the best available on the market, at positions of relative need?

I think you're over simplifying being able to simply draft a guy who can become an all pro with this comment. Could we? Sure. What are the odds of it? Not great. He's also leaps and bounds better than anything we have right now, and we can afford him, so again, why wouldn't you assuming that he fits? 

But where are the premier pass rushers in this free agent class? How good is Norwell, really?

There are none in the pass rusher category, even if Ziggy had not been tagged.

Norwell is pretty good. First team all-pro last year (so considered one of the best two guards in football), no sacks allowed, one hurry. Thats pretty dominating. Now, you are buying high on him - in previous years he had been good, sometimes great, but never like this past year, but you're also not overpaying for him in comparison to other guards really. He would be considered the top of the market right now, and if he gets the 13m/yr he wants, it's a slight inflation over Zeitler's contract but the same percentage of the cap for the most part (on an aav basis, slightly over 7% at the time of signing). Gabe Jackson got 11 million - he's better than Jackson for sure. Osemele got 11.7..meh...I'd probably take Osemele there. Trai Turner got 11.25...in previous years, I think Turner has probably been considered the better player, but Norwell outplayed him last year. Kyle long got 10 million - I think Norwell is better than long for sure, who I was never super duper impressed with (always seems like an above average guard but nothing else).  Now granted, that's just based on my own opinion, and it's not like I watch every game of every guard in football, so take that with a grain of salt. I'm really relying on a lot of word of mouth, statistical measures, etc. It does seem like Norwell has continually gotten better though since coming into the league, so that's something. 

And why can't we be legitimately concerned about Robinson's recovery and overall effectiveness before and after his injury? I don't necessarily see complacency. 

Agree with this - brought it up previously because I was confused how people consider him a guaranteed stud when he's had two bad/meh seasons against one great one that was aided considerably by garbage time Jags. 

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Here's more of what he said he didn't actually say what's being said. Sounds like he means they just want to get players who fit.

"splashy names" is one of those terms that could mean anything, which means it means nothing. How exactly do you define "splashy"

25 minutes ago, John232 said:

What a boring day. 

Really was, not only for us but pretty much for the entire league. Aside from the Bills/Bengals trade, I can't ever think of a first day in free agency ever being this quiet. Granted, it is only the legal tampering period, but I feel like the last few years there was a lot more action. Like no big name FA signed anywhere today nor was there much information on where they were leaning. Bizarre. 

Archived