Fox needs a new commentary crew

biggie.

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

I'll admit to being fairly non-plussed as far as commentators go, if only because I find myself indifferent to those I have listened to in the past. Even the Buck/Aikman duo fails to trigger my ire.

So, I'll pose a question; what's the checklist for a good commentary team in your eyes?

I think the voice is number one. I mean you can train it, but only to a degree. And then obviously delivery. Cadence. Pace. Consistency. Pitch or elevation (or whatever you want to call it) on climactic plays. Obviously chemistry with your partner(s).

Michaels has that old, raspy voice that’s literally perfect. Tirico is very good technically (from his broadcast training of course). Buck has his flubs but the voice is all there. 

Gus Johnson is fun but technically he’s just not all there. Ian Eagle is very good. Prime Marv Albert NBA was probably the best in the business. I don’t think there has ever been a better run than his career for a particular sport (aside from Costas). Musburger in his prime (at the college level) was very good. 

One of my favorite radio calls was the Tebow Mania year in 2011. He drove down the field with a couple minutes left to beat Rex Ryan’s Jets.

Ian Eagle and Trent Green were on the call. Tebow took it in for a 20+ yard scamper for the go ahead with under a minute remaining.

Ian Eagle goes, “It’s Tebow Time!” On Westwood 1, but if you listened closer you can hear Green under the mic murmuring “Go… (as Tebow was running it in). Just a crazy call in the middle of a crazy run.

Edited by WheatieMan

No one hears Buck more than Packers fans, I've grown to like him, he's obviously gotten much more animated over the last 7-8 years. His voice is just associated with a big game, that probably helps the perception.

Aikman on the other hand can leave at any time, was really hoping Fox was going to pay for either Romo or Manning and stick Aikman on crew #2.

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I watch football with the sound off -  its actually a great way to consume the NFL.

I started doing this out of necessity a few years ago to stay on the wife's good side, but now it's how I prefer to watch the games.  I watched a couple games with sound last season to try to understand the hype around Romo, but two games was enough.  I wish I could get the Packers radio feed in sync with the TV broadcast.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, Mazrimiv said:

I wish I could get the Packers radio feed in sync with the TV broadcast.

There's an opportunity for the NFL on that front - but they need you to listen to the ads from their sponsors instead of Dave's Dry Cleaning of Lower Ashwaubenon
Most TVs have a "SAP" option for Secondary Audio Programming. They came out with this to allow people to watch shows in Spanish or other languages. It would be fairly simple to get the local radio broadcast on that SAP channel and sync it up with broadcast. And I'd even pay a small fee for that option

During March Madness, they let you watch the "home" team feed or the national feed- so its possible.