Fox needs a new commentary crew

biggie.

I've never been the biggest fan of Buck/Aikman, but they were unbearable last night, especially related to the big Parham injury (the way they handled it was highly unprofessional). I muted the game and just watched it with background music.

Hearing Buck talk is just absolutely grating on the ears. He's too opinionated and has that " WELL ACKCHYUALLY!!!" aura around him. I've always felt he should be on pre and post game show rather than be in the booth.

Aikman, like his evil twin Collinsworth, comes off as a snobby blowhard that doesn't know what he's talking about. Even though it was an obvious fumble even to a casual fan, Aikman honestly believed that Mahomes fumble was an incomplete pass. He's also insanely biased at times. He doesn't offer much insight and educate viewers, unlike Romo.

Idk, I'm just sick of the two; they've been doing this for SIXTEEN YEARS and I've yet to hear anyone say this team makes watching football more enjoyable.

It's kinda weird how Nantz/Romo is the perfect combo, Michaels/Collinsworth is half good (Michaels is the greatest play by play of all time imo) and Buck/Aikman just sucks all together.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 2

College football announcing crews are where it is at, very solid crews and they are all funny, much more entertaining to listen to than almost any stupid NFL crew. McDonough and Blackledge are top of the line and Robert Griffin III is a rising star and sure the NFL will try and steal him.  Stinks about Brent Musburger he was outstanding to listen to announce a game and he was great in a variety of sports.

Sean McDonough and Todd Blackledge

Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit

Jason Benetti and Andre Ware

Mark Jones and Robert Griffin III

Joe Tessitore and Greg McElroy

Dave Pasch and Dusty Dvoracek

Tom Hart and Jordan Rodgers

Dave Flemming and Rod Gilmore

Bob Wischusen and Dan Orlovsky

Steve Levy and Brian Griese

Beth Mowins and Kirk Morrison

Anish Shroff and Mike Golic Jr.

Then Fox has these guys, Gus Johnson is always fun to listen to and I love Tillman and Tim Brando former SEC on CBS announcers.  Brock Huard is very good also and was taken from ESPN.

Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt 

Tim Brando and Spencer Tillman

Joe Davis and Brock Huard

CBS has Nessler and Danielson who are outstanding as well.

Brad Nessler, Gary Danielson

Either way a majority of NFL announcing crews are trash outside of two, clearly the NBC guys are not bad and are the best group easily, and I feel the ESPN Monday Night crew is not awful because Levy and Griese already work together well in college football and joke around.  Louis Riddick is top of the line in terms of straight information he can share.  He is a big addition to their draft coverage and kind of shocked he is not a NFL GM yet.

Either way the NFL is a totally different product, hard to announce when in some arenas it seems there is a split down the middle on home and away fans, and even when there is a home crowd rarely is that noise transferred over to the broadcast especially on Fox, there are no bands or real environment to speak of much less tradition.  It is just a different product and clearly the announcing crews they have throughout the NFL are much weaker than in college football I feel.  

• Like 1

As mentioned upthread the college crews are vastly superior. That has been the case for a long time. Earlier this season I was half paying attention to a broadcast but I was struck by how good the analyst was. I didn't recognize the voice. Then they came back from halftime and were on screen. That's Robert Griffin on commentary? You've got to be kidding  me. I never liked him as a player or person, dating to his freshman season at Baylor. He was always a self obsessed whiner. Easily the most incompetently evaluated personality of any college player I have ever seen. I emphasized it on Finheaven several times in lengthy fashion during the scouting process and leading to the draft. Anybody who thought Robert Griffin was going to be team-first player and positive influence was incomparably ignorant. But I have to give him props as analyst. I'm sure he'll rise up the ranks very quickly, both in assignments and salary.

I have never been able to tolerate the Fox commentators. They dependably pick people I don't like, regardless of sport. Aikman is one exception. But they lost me a long time ago by picking guys like Paul Azinger and Greg Norman to cover golf.