Donald Parham Jr to be released from hospital this afternoon

Dome

5 hours ago, BigTrav said:

people need to revaluate some things. Rating, views, clicks etc prioritized over basic human emotion. What are we doing?

200.gif

Its a race to the top, stepping on as many people as needed trying to get there and then you die.

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 hours ago, Xenos said:

You don’t need to zoom or linger on him.

I mean, I don't understand what the problem is. This is normal in a sport like MMA or boxing/kickboxing. Joe Buck is an idiot, the people with cameras or replays are not a problem in my mind.

13 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I mean, I don't understand what the problem is.

I'll get you up to speed!

This is normal in a sport like MMA or boxing/kickboxing.

In MMA and kickboxing one of the main objectives is to knock out your opponent. For a significant portion of the competitors it might be the top objective or even the only objective. And payout bonuses are often made for whichever competitor KOs his opponent in the most impressive fashion. And fans can sometimes feel let down if a fight doesn't specifically end by KO.

Fighters competing in their respective sports will purposefully and consistently target their opponents head because that is a fundamental aspect of the sport. Cameras zoom in on the KOs because that is often times how the match was decided and fans have shown up or tuned in to see the KOs.

The NFL on the other hand, the objective is to score touchdowns by carrying or throwing a ball across a line and preventing your opponent from doing it.

They wear and are constantly improving on helmets to help prevent brain injuries, and rule changes in the last decade or two have greatly changed the passing game to limit the number of brain injuries as well and penalize players/teams who make the game unnecessarily dangerous, mostly specific to head injuries. One of the objectives in the NFL is to avoid knocking out your opponent.

Now that you have the context, it should not be hard to understand why people watching an NFL game wouldn't want to see a closeup of what appeared to be a guy having a seizure and losing control of his arms after sustaining an accidental brain injury. 

Joe Buck is an idiot, the people with cameras or replays are not a problem in my mind.

I was annoyed with the camera work at the time, but watching it again I don't think the camera operator had any way of knowing what they were zooming in on until it was too late.

I don't really blame anyone for it airing, but I can't comprehend how you compared it to a combat sport where KOs and fencing responses are glorified and thought that was a reason to stop thinking any further on the subject and post what you'd come up with.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, pwny said:

I think we gotta cut Buck some slack on this. It was a really scary situation to see a guy having what to many appeared to be a seizure, after a fencing response during a concussion. Nobody was in their right mind having calculated thoughts while watching that play out 

He’s spent his whole entire life being told that he **has** to fill dead air with commentary. A lot of these really bad injuries, something weird is said by a commentator because they’re trying to settle themselves down while saying something to fill dead air and not let the horror of the situation itself be the only experience of viewership. He probably said the first thing that came to mind to cut the tension. It was bad, but I don’t think it says anything about him or his intent. 

I think it says something about his intelligence, but agree it doesn't really say anything about his intent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dome said:

I'll get you up to speed!

In MMA and kickboxing one of the main objectives is to knock out your opponent. For a significant portion of the competitors it might be the top objective or even the only objective. And payout bonuses are often made for whichever competitor KOs his opponent in the most impressive fashion. And fans can sometimes feel let down if a fight doesn't specifically end by KO.

Fighters competing in their respective sports will purposefully and consistently target their opponents head because that is a fundamental aspect of the sport. Cameras zoom in on the KOs because that is often times how the match was decided and fans have shown up or tuned in to see the KOs.

The NFL on the other hand, the objective is to score touchdowns by carrying or throwing a ball across a line and preventing your opponent from doing it.

They wear and are constantly improving on helmets to help prevent brain injuries, and rule changes in the last decade or two have greatly changed the passing game to limit the number of brain injuries as well and penalize players/teams who make the game unnecessarily dangerous, mostly specific to head injuries. One of the objectives in the NFL is to avoid knocking out your opponent.

Now that you have the context, it should not be hard to understand why people watching an NFL game wouldn't want to see a closeup of what appeared to be a guy having a seizure and losing control of his arms after sustaining an accidental brain injury. 

I was annoyed with the camera work at the time, but watching it again I don't think the camera operator had any way of knowing what they were zooming in on until it was too late.

I don't really blame anyone for it airing, but I can't comprehend how you compared it to a combat sport where KOs and fencing responses are glorified and thought that was a reason to stop thinking any further on the subject and post what you'd come up with.

I don't really see how that matters. It happens weekly, and is going to continue to happen weekly. What about Hockey? They have fist fights during the games. Can we show them getting knocked out? I'm just against the whole point that it is some travesty that they showed a guy who got knocked out on TV. It's part of the game whether you want it to be or not.

8 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I don't really see how that matters. It happens weekly, and is going to continue to happen weekly. What about Hockey? They have fist fights during the games. Can we show them getting knocked out? I'm just against the whole point that it is some travesty that they showed a guy who got knocked out on TV. It's part of the game whether you want it to be or not.

If you’re so dense you can’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to witness a brain injury and seizure on a football field, then I’ll just have to admit I don’t have the skills to help someone this far gone and excuse myself from the conversation 

• Like 3

Just now, Dome said:

If you’re so dense you can’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to witness a brain injury and seizure on a football field, then I’ll just have to admit I don’t have the skills to help someone this far gone and excuse myself from the conversation 

You're right. I can understand it. People are soft.

8 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

You have serious issues with reality.

No, I think it’s obvious you’re the one confused and have issues with reality. The fact that you got your sports mixed up is one big indicator. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

No, I think it’s obvious you’re the one confused and have issues with reality. The fact that you got your sports mixed up is one big indicator. 

Not mixing up anything. There are people who get knocked out in football, just like in MMA and UFC every week.  

14 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

You have serious issues with reality.

What reality, the one where you're really tough guy because you enjoy watching people having seizures, and I'm a softy?

I'm the one who called you out, so no problem there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kramxel said:

What reality, the one where you're really tough guy because you enjoy watching people having seizures, and I'm a softy?

I'm the one who called you out, so no problem there.

When did I say I enjoyed it? Why are you making things up? All I said is that it wasn't a big deal. Everyone's always crying about something.