What is Tyler Huntley worth? And will Jimmy G get traded?

Vladimir L

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

From what I've seen, JG has not been playing great (maybe on balance good to above average), but I think a team like the Saints, Steelers, or Panthers gives up as much as a second for him.

Panthers might ask for a swap of seconds since they would pick high in the second round.

I have not watched a single snap of Huntley in the NFL, but I imagine teams are not considering him a starting caliber player.

Jimmy has not been playing great but he's playing as he usually does when he is healthy. That's a good, solid starting QB that is clutch down the stretch. You need to put him on a team with a decent supporting cast. Putting him in Houston or a team like that makes no sense at all. 

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jimmy has not been playing great but he's playing as he usually does when he is healthy. That's a good, solid starting QB that is clutch down the stretch. You need to put him on a team with a decent supporting cast. Putting him in Houston or a team like that makes no sense at all. 

Would be a solid Steelers qb or Washington if defense plays well

30 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Putting him in Houston or a team like that makes no sense at all. 

"No sense at all" is the Caserio/Easterby motto for roster management. Name me one thing this FO has done that makes sense. Forget the BoB stuff, look at anything Caserio has done and tell me where it makes sense...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Would be a solid Steelers qb or Washington if defense plays well

Yeah, those two teams would be good options for him. I'm not saying it is only NO or bust as he will do just fine in Pittsburgh or Washington and maybe even with the NYG, but stay away from teams like Houston. Will not make sense unless the Texans go crazy spending money in the offseason and build a decent team.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

"No sense at all" is the Caserio/Easterby motto for roster management. Name me one thing this FO has done that makes sense. Forget the BoB stuff, look at anything Caserio has done and tell me where it makes sense...

Well, let's let it play out more with Caseiro. After the Watson saga ends is when he can truly be judged. Not great right now of course, but too early for me to say he is a bad GM. 

55 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, let's let it play out more with Caseiro. After the Watson saga ends is when he can truly be judged. Not great right now of course, but too early for me to say he is a bad GM. 

I guess you can say that - but if you really look at it - he's doing a LOT of bad stuff right now:

- Trading away picks for guys who don't even make the 53 man roster (Ryan Lindley, Ryan Izzo, Ka'Dar Holloman). Holloman didn't even last 10 days in Houston before he was released, but got Green Bay a late pick. Lindley and Izzo both went for a 6th, neither made it to training camp.

- Trading away picks for guys who are cut by week 4/5 (Anthony Miller). I liked the trade at the time, but a 5th is a high price for roster fodder; Add this to the picks you're already giving up, and you're taking arrows out of your quiver without any return.

- Trading away "dead cap" guys (could have cut them with zero cap issues in 2022) for guys who have cap liability in 2023, then trading THAT guy away to incur cap liability in 2023 (Bernardrick McKinney for Shaq Lawson, then trading Lawson to NYJ for a 6th round pick and a $6mm cap hit in 2023 - had he just cut McKinney outright, he'd have no dead cap for 2022 or 2023).

- Renegotiating guys to lessen cap hit and push cap into 2022... then cutting guys mid season to incur cap hit in 2022 and 2023 (Whitney Mercilius, Zach Cunningham, Andre Roberts).

On his own, Nick Caserio has created close to $26mm in dead cap in 2022 (putting the Texans at $35mm dead cap - most in the league) and $5mm in 2023. Combine this with Deshaun Watson's contract, the Texans have roughly 25% on their cap that won't play a single down for them next season. A Watson trade should have left the Texans with close to $80-$90mm in cap, but the actual number is going to be close to $35-45mm (and that's with 26 players on roster and only six draft picks in his bucket - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd (NO), 4th, 6th (NYJ)).

This isn't a BoB issue or a Watson issue, Caserio created this on his own; That's not good GM work. I admit Caserio was dealing with a horrible hand right when he took the job, but he's only dug himself in worse with his moves so far - depleting cap and mid to late picks for misses.

Edit: I only feel it necessary to say, he does seem like he's able to draft well. Davis Mills is looking like he could start in the NFL (maybe not a top 15 guy, but he's better than most backups - he's right now the 2nd best rookie QB from this "historic" class) Nico Collins is going to be a borderline top 20 WR (think Kenny Golliday or Cortland Sutton - very similar) Brevin Jordan is another potential starter with upside at TE (think "oversized WR" type TE) and Roy Lopez might be a steal and daily rotational guy on the DT depth chart.

So, Caserio has a stretch of good picks in mid to late rounds (which makes his trades on mid to late round picks for nothing all the more frustrating...)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

From what I've seen, JG has not been playing great (maybe on balance good to above average), but I think a team like the Saints, Steelers, or Panthers gives up as much as a second for him.

He's probably playing the best QB of his life, you just have to accept him for what he is, if that makes sense. 

He's 4th in dvoa, 3rd in EPA...hell, he's even been the #1 graded QB by PFF over the last 7 weeks or whatever. You can't ask him to do more than he can do. But let him point and click and he'll do what he needs to. He's always been an efficiency monster, but he's actually buoying that this year with slightly more difficult throws in the intermediate part of the field. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Panthers might ask for a swap of seconds since they would pick high in the second round.

I'm pretty sure that they don't have a second at all. They traded it to the Jets for Darnold. 

Also, if you think that he's only going to get a swap of seconds, I think you're drastically underestimating the QB trade market. 

Just now, Forge said:

I'm pretty sure that they don't have a second at all. They traded it to the Jets for Darnold. 

Also, if you think that he's only going to get a swap of seconds, I think you're drastically underestimating the QB trade market. 

A high second is basically a first round pick in terms of quality of player you're getting. And, Garoppolo has a history of injuries and highly variable play. If I'm the Panthers, I would give up a third (since they apparently don't have a second), but that's about it.

11 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

A high second is basically a first round pick in terms of quality of player you're getting. And, Garoppolo has a history of injuries and highly variable play. If I'm the Panthers, I would give up a third (since they apparently don't have a second), but that's about it.

Carson Wentz has a history of injuries and high variable play. 

Hell, Joe Flacco was washed and got a 4th round pick with the Broncos still having to restructure 17 million to afford him. 

Alex Smith had a very limited history of any quality play at all and generated 2 seconds. This forum always drastically underestimates the value of a QB in trade. 

Furthermore, the difference right now between where the Panthers would be picking (again, I think that the Jets own their pick) and where the Steelers are picking is 7  picks. If the Steelers are putting their second on the table, that's just the cost of doing business for the Panthers (and again, I don't see the Panthers as a viable trade partner given they are already paying Darnold 15 million next year and lack a second round pick) 

• Like 1