What is Tyler Huntley worth? And will Jimmy G get traded?

Vladimir L

BattleFeverJ probably gets traded. 25 million salary and the 49ers need money. If he keeps playing well they'll fetch him a good pick from somebody. Trey Lance is on a rookie contract, needs reps, and has the potential to be a really good player. I can't see how Jimmy doesn't get traded. Even if he wins the Super Bowl he's gone. 

These are two extraordinarily different questions

Huntley is worth a couple mil as a backup. If anyone thinks to pay him 8 digits as a starter, they are an idiot

As for Jimmy, if I'm the 49ers I keep him and start him considering he is likely taking them to the playoffs again.. but in practice, they probably move him. Salary-wise, they will hardly take any cap hit to trade him, and it will remove the QB controversy

• Like 1

From what I've seen, JG has not been playing great (maybe on balance good to above average), but I think a team like the Saints, Steelers, or Panthers gives up as much as a second for him.

Panthers might ask for a swap of seconds since they would pick high in the second round.

I have not watched a single snap of Huntley in the NFL, but I imagine teams are not considering him a starting caliber player.

Edited by Rich7sena

Tyler Huntley is worth the lowest possible pick you can give in a trade. Teams can trade three years out on draft night, so... A 2025 7th?

Yeesh, that might be too much now that I think of it.

Garropolo will be moved to Houston in exchange for the 3rd round pick gained in the Bradley Roby trade - it'll be an open competition between Garropolo and Davis Mills, and that might be an actual competition with the construction of this roster.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Tyler Huntley is worth the lowest possible pick you can give in a trade. Teams can trade three years out on draft night, so... A 2025 7th?

Yeesh, that might be too much now that I think of it.

Garropolo will be moved to Houston in exchange for the 3rd round pick gained in the Bradley Roby trade - it'll be an open competition between Garropolo and Davis Mills, and that might be an actual competition with the construction of this roster.

I don't think it makes sense for Garoppolo to go to a rebuilding team. He's good enough to steal an extra 2-3 wins over a career backup for a team like Houston, meaning they'd likely end up with a worse draft position in 2023. And, that third round pick can easily turn into a quality starter that ultimately be more valuable to the future of the team than Garoppolo would be. Houston could just sign Mariota or Dalton as a veteran presence in the QB room for far cheaper.

I think Houston fans are prepared to wait a while before winning. No need to get on a train to nowhere with Garoppolo. Plus, he's worth far more to competitive rosters with quarterback issues like the Saints, Steelers, and Panthers.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think it makes sense for Garoppolo to go to a rebuilding team. He's good enough to steal an extra 2-3 wins over a career backup for a team like Houston, meaning they'd likely end up with a worse draft position in 2023. And, that third round pick can easily turn into a quality starter that ultimately be more valuable to the future of the team than Garoppolo would be. Houston could just sign Mariota or Dalton as a veteran presence in the QB room for far cheaper.

I think Houston fans are prepared to wait a while before winning. No need to get on a train to nowhere with Garoppolo. Plus, he's worth far more to competitive rosters with quarterback issues like the Saints, Steelers, and Panthers.

I agree, but the Texans FO doesn't think they're rebuilding... They think they can be competitive.

It's a room full of toxic positivity. The Texans are ran by a group of people who watched "Facing the Giants" on repeat and convinced themselves they could put together an NFL franchise by following the steps laid out in that movie...

I agree with you, but the Texans FO is dumb.

• Like 1

Jimmy G gets traded but the team trading for him will have to give him some sort of extension to lower to his cap for next year. Not that 25M is killer at the QB position, but you can lower it and get him for three or so seasons. I think the Niners will be looking for a late 1st to a 2nd+3rd for him. If he can continue his current play and take the team to the playoffs and perform well there? He should have a few suitors going after him. Jimmy is a PERFECT fit in NO but don't know about their cap situation. 

As for Huntley? Dude has barely played a few games so it is way premature to talk about his worth. He will be a backup in Baltimore next season as he is now.