Christian McCaffrey: Is the upside even there to turn it around

Darkness

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

"Bottom line, TO ME, he has always just looked like a Patriots type player in the mold of Kevin Faulk and Danny Woodhead....role players who can have extreme value in the right situations, but arent exactly feature back material (which is why I thought the Patriots might trade up if he fell far enough)..     "

Yup. Never thought he'd fall to us, but will always consider every other team a mis-fit for him. He would definitely be our Woodhead. 

As a Saints fan I wholeheartedly disagree with the above statement 

49 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

"Never thought he'd fall to us, but will always consider every other team a mis-fit for him. He would definitely be our Woodhead."

He would have been a perfect fit for the Saints

Yeah maybe NO too. Would he be in a lot though? I think with NE, we'd still use him by committee, just within his specific purpose. 

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

"Bottom line, TO ME, he has always just looked like a Patriots type player in the mold of Kevin Faulk and Danny Woodhead....role players who can have extreme value in the right situations, but arent exactly feature back material (which is why I thought the Patriots might trade up if he fell far enough)..     "

Yup. Never thought he'd fall to us, but will always consider every other team a mis-fit for him. He would definitely be our Woodhead. 

I agree with your general overall statement here, but I'd argue the term misfit is misused. It would just take the right coach to get the most of him (Belichick, Reid, Payton, etc.), much like how Mark Barron and Deone Bucannon are being used defensively.

On 11/9/2017 at 11:56 AM, sammymvpknight said:

People greatly overrate expectations based on draft pick. There are TONS of players who outright bust in the top 10. If you have a player who is a big contributor and helps you win games...that’s a successful pick in my book. Bush didn’t turn into the next Marcus Allen but he helped the Saints win multiple division crowns and a Super Bowl. At #2 overall...that’s a win. Even if McCaffrey never turns into a great runner, he can still be a solid #8 overall pick if he helps the team win football games. 

Maybe you can argue that way when judging other positions drafted in the top 10. But RB is rightfully the most devalued position in drafts now because of how much easier it is to find quality talent throughout. And this year was no exception. It should take a superstar caliber RB prospect to be drafted in the top 10 imo.

1 hour ago, Darkness said:

Maybe you can argue that way when judging other positions drafted in the top 10. But RB is rightfully the most devalued position in drafts now because of how much easier it is to find quality talent throughout. And this year was no exception. It should take a superstar caliber RB prospect to be drafted in the top 10 imo.

Aren't you pretty much expecting a superstar caliber player at any position in the top 10? I think the main reason the RB position is devalued is because of the short career of most players at that position not because it is easy to find a good one. It's easy to find an okay RB who isn't a game changer and depending on the offense that can be good enough but I wouldn't sweat taking a chance on a RB in the top 10 if my offense warranted it. You can draft a bust or just one of those okay RBs you could get later but that is true for most positions picked in the top 10.

2 hours ago, eagles18 said:

Which is what should the offense should be tailored too. He is not a between the tackles runner. He is a receiver, preferably slot. 

The 2nd part is true in a sense, he is a hybrid player, so he is a very effective WR both outside and in the slot. Regarding running between the tackles. He's done well the past couple weeks as he's finally been getting some holes to run through. I think he will be very dangerous splitting between RB/WR. He's got 5 touchdowns in the past 6 games at RB/WR, so I'd say his versatility is starting to do some damage on the field.

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

The 2nd part is true in a sense, he is a hybrid player, so he is a very effective WR both outside and in the slot. Regarding running between the tackles. He's done well the past couple weeks as he's finally been getting some holes to run through. I think he will be very dangerous splitting between RB/WR. He's got 5 touchdowns in the past 6 games at RB/WR, so I'd say his versatility is starting to do some damage on the field.

He is fantastic in the red-zone, especially being paired with Cam.  CMC is great at getting open with a shortened field while you still have to account for him running the ball, not to mention the threat of Cam running it up the middle.

It is why you often see McCaffrey, despite being the smaller back, on the field in the redzone and near the goal-line more than you will see Stewart.  We can create a lot of mismatches.

• 1 month later...

Figured I might as well bump this thread now that McCaffrey's first season is over. My overall outlook on him is very promising for the future. There were initial struggles in the run game, which I do think are largely a product of Carolina's OL simply not getting the job done (See J. Stewart's numbers this year). However the biggest thing I saw with McCaffrey is that he seemed to get better throughout the year. Just looking at the past 10 games he's played, his numbers actually look pretty good for a rookie. In his past 10 games he has:

78 Rushes for 334 yards- 4.28 yards per carry

42 Catches for 423 yards- 10.07 yards per catch

75.7 yards per game in that span, which if he continued at that rate would be over 1,200 yards rushing/receiving over a full 16 games season, with good per touch averages considering his blocking, and inconsistent QB play. He also has 6 touchdowns that past 10 games, which over a season would average to about 10 touchdowns.

Obviously the hope is that he continues to improve (which is literally the case with just about every rookie), but after year 1, I see a lot of positives with McCaffrey. There were a lot of yards, and some touchdowns left on the field due to poor blocking, and Newton simply missing some open throws, but McCaffrey has certainly flashed his ability to get open throughout the year, which was highlighted last night against the Saints in his 100+ yard performance. If the OL for the Panthers improves next year, I could see McCaffrey having 1,500+ yard year rushing/receiving. He has shown that he can be a coverage nightmare out of the backfield, and from the slot, which we saw last night. His hands are the best I've ever seen from a RB. He has made several crazy catches this year on Cam's off the mark throws.

Calling him a bust halfway through his rookie season was unbelievable to me. A reach at #8? Sure, but no one expected Hunt or Kamara to perform the way they did this season. He clearly needs to work on pass pro, but his value as a dual threat RB is there. I watched a half-dozen of their games this season, and IMO he was their best offensive player aside from Newton, before and after the Benjamin trade.

Archived