LA Rams: General Thread

MDY10

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He will be. But if we're looking for a reclamation project, a former top 5 pick who started for four years and never once came close to being even below average doesn't excite me. Of course, the questions will be cost and whether Stafford is back. If Stafford is back and Darnold costs next to nothing, fine.

First 4 games as a Carolina Panther last year:

5TD 3 INT

297YPG 67%Comp

3-1 record

Matt Rhule/Adam Gase/Todd Bowles all coaching in that 5 year span

I'd agree it should cost nothing, but if Stafford retires and we promise Darnold the opportunity to win the job over Wolford + vet/late round rookie I dont see how he can turn down the chance to return to California.

And if he bombs out, awesome. Caleb Williams with our 1st in 2024.

44 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

First 4 games as a Carolina Panther last year:

5TD 3 INT

297YPG 67%Comp

3-1 record

Matt Rhule/Adam Gase/Todd Bowles all coaching in that 5 year span

I'd agree it should cost nothing, but if Stafford retires and we promise Darnold the opportunity to win the job over Wolford + vet/late round rookie I dont see how he can turn down the chance to return to California.

And if he bombs out, awesome. Caleb Williams with our 1st in 2024.

I'm not sure why you're referencing 4 games last year when he started played 12 games and ended the year tied for the second-worst passer rating in the NFL among starter (71.9) and with more INTs than TDs. He didn't provide even starting caliber player last year.

As I said, if Stafford is back, I'm fine with him as a backup/reclamation project. But I do not want him as our best starting option going into next year. There are reclamation projects who were drafted higher and have showed more in the NFL to date (Baker Mayfield and Jameis Winston).

Frankly, I still think Mayfield is the most likely guy if we're forced into that bad scenario. McVay had a massive hard-on for him as a prospect. I guess Jimmy Garoppolo is also possible, but meh.

why the heck are we talking about mayfield?

is it because in his draft year he was sitting next to mcvay on the flight to indy for the combine
and mcvay was polite because mayfield annoyed him with questions?

schefter said the rams were in on jimmy g. he will be a free agent. end of story.

and if matthew will retire we will trade for rodgers.

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not sure why you're referencing 4 games last year when he started played 12 games and ended the year tied for the second-worst passer rating in the NFL among starter (71.9) and with more INTs than TDs. He didn't provide even starting caliber player last year.

Well you said he never showed anything. He did. He looked great the first 4 games of the season and that entire team went to $hit. I also attribute some of that to poor coaching and CMC's injury early in the season.

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

As I said, if Stafford is back, I'm fine with him as a backup/reclamation project. But I do not want him as our best starting option going into next year. There are reclamation projects who were drafted higher and have showed more in the NFL to date (Baker Mayfield and Jameis Winston).

He just got benched in favor of Sam Darnold. And Darnold looked better last week than Mayfield has all season, except Mayfield got to play with CMC for 5 games. 

27 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Does anyone actually think Stafford is retiring? I don't see it. I think his wife would want him too but I would be surprised if he stopped while he could still play at a high level.

I'd say 75/25 he comes back. It's on that table after that 2nd concussion. Knew we should have sat him the rest of the season after the 1st one.

16 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I'd say 75/25 he comes back. It's on that table after that 2nd concussion. Knew we should have sat him the rest of the season after the 1st one.

Every indication of the reporting is that he didn't have a 2nd concussion. And it's not clear whether he had a concussion in the first game either.

10 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

and if matthew will retire we will trade for rodgers.

Hope not....i don't like Rodgers attitude, he's a diva. 

If Matthew retire, we have to find the next QB in the mold of Allen, Herbert, Mahomes, JAckson, Tua etc...

I think the ERA of pocket QB is over....but i don't know if Mcvay can adapt his scheme to a more mobile QB. 

The placall with Perkins is not very promising...

1 hour ago, adamq said:

How do you guys feel about Kyren Williams? Looks like is he is taking over the job, he was on the field for 70% of the snaps last week

It seems like the plan primarily was Akers in under center and Kyren came in for shotgun snaps. He seems to be a solid back. Not a ton of explosiveness but at the very least he will have a role on the team going forward. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 7:47 AM, Flounch said:

Hope he will sign in AFC

Yes, but I can also accept him signing on in Dallas as a consolation just because it gives them more ammo to knock the Niners out of the playoffs and keep them out of the Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

It seems like the plan primarily was Akers in under center and Kyren came in for shotgun snaps. He seems to be a solid back. Not a ton of explosiveness but at the very least he will have a role on the team going forward. 

Yeah, he's a "hold down the fort" type back from what I can tell (a bad, but recent, comp would be Malcolm Brown), more to situational ability than straight up qualities.  Hendo's an FA next year and won't be back, so we can likely guarantee we'll be bringing in a new RB in some capacity.  What capacity that is likely weighs more on Akers' future than Kyren's, but Kyren's presence allows us to not feel like a have to go out and prioritize RB.  (It's kind of why I've been doing my FA and draft analysis of RB's with a skew towards a demonstrated ability to produce in spite of less-than-ideal OL's, as the later should be our priority.)

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 10:39 AM, LeotheLion said:

Kyren reminds me of James White. Could be a major weapon in the passing game, but he's not a difference maker as a runner.

• Like 1