y2lamanaki

The battle at HB (#2)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the backup job?

• Kapri Bibbs
    • Matt Breida
    • Tim Hightower
    • Joe Williams
    • Carlos Hyde (One of the above four steal the starting job)
  2. 2. Who won't make the 53-man roster?

• Kapri Bibbs
    • Matt Breida
    • Tim Hightower

Does Breida get consideration over Williams at any point? I mean, Williams has had a couple of nice practices, but overall has been, quite frankly, underwhelming by all report. He also has some major flaws in his game (blocking, isn't much of a receiver, fumbles). We've heard nothing but pretty consistent positive things about Breida. Is there any chance that Breida can leap frog Williams? 

I don't think so, at least not this year. Hightower is what makes this tricky. My question is who will be active on game days? Hyde/Hightower/Juice check are locks. Will we carry four backs or just those three? If so, then I'd guess Shanny will want to go with Williams over Brieda.

Carlos Hyde and Tim Hightower are one-two in the lineup. The others have been rotating among the second- and third-team groups. Matt Breida has been the most consistent of the bunch and has outshined fourth-round draft pick Joe Williams to date. "He’s got a chip on his shoulder, which you love." Shanahan said of the undrafted rookie. "He’s trying to prove himself every single day. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a run play, a pass play, whether he’s in protection. The guy loves competing. He’s a talented guy on top of it and he’s a guy who you definitely can tell he’s giving it his all.”

^Update from Barrows

2 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Really like what Breida offers as far as special teams goes too, both in coverage with his speed and competitiveness and as a returner.

I will make a KR/PR camp battle thread once I have any idea who we're looking at back there. I'm guessing Kerley, Breida, and Taylor are the main competitors. But agree - love what I'm hearing about Breida. Can't wait for Friday night to get here. 

Maiocco is on money as any beat writer we have and when he was reporting that Williams needed to show more urgency and get in better shape, that was a red flag. I guess two practices ago when he fumbled the ball, Coach Turner made him run to the other side of the field with the ball and he was showing some attitude. Basically Maiocco and Cohn are telling two different sides of the story with Williams. One is making it look like he will be the 4th RB, the other is saying it is only a matter of time until he becomes the starter.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maiocco is on money as any beat writer we have and when he was reporting that Williams needed to show more urgency and get in better shape, that was a red flag. I guess two practices ago when he fumbled the ball, Coach Turner made him run to the other side of the field with the ball and he was showing some attitude. Basically Maiocco and Cohn are telling two different sides of the story with Williams. One is making it look like he will be the 4th RB, the other is saying it is only a matter of time until he becomes the starter.

Cohn is a moron. He was also reporting that Breida looked like a 'T-Shirt guy' when they had their first padded practice. The guy is clueless.

Archived