Week 17- Giants @ Bears- 🤮

beardown3231

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

Although they are looking like some players. Pace confounds me.

Yeah, if Pace keeps his job (not pushing for it) it’s going to be because he seems to have had a really good 2021 draft with the most important offensive positions with Fields, Jenkins and Borom, plus a legit RB in Herbert. Graham has given reason for optimism too. Dazz is still a question, but early returns on this class are strong IMO. 

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah, if Pace keeps his job (not pushing for it) it’s going to be because he seems to have had a really good 2021 draft with the most important offensive positions with Fields, Jenkins and Borom, plus a legit RB in Herbert. Graham has given reason for optimism too. Dazz is still a question, but early returns on this class are strong IMO. 

IMO it'll also be because he somehow lures a big time HC

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

IMO it'll also be because he somehow lures a big time HC

We shouldn’t even be talking about a HC hire until there’s clarity about Pace’s standing. IMO he’s either gotta get fired or promoted out of the role, or he’s gotta get an extension publicly (ugh). Him being an apparent lame duck GM would almost surely keep us from getting any HC of consequence. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

We shouldn’t even be talking about a HC hire until there’s clarity about Pace’s standing. IMO he’s either gotta get fired or promoted out of the role, or he’s gotta get an extension publicly (ugh). Him being an apparent lame duck GM would almost surely keep us from getting any HC of consequence. 

Maybe Pace is secretly doing his due dilligence reaching out to potential HC's- certainly possible if they've notified Nagy he's gone- and George will allow him to stay if he can land a big fish

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Maybe Pace is secretly doing his due dilligence reaching out to potential HC's- certainly possible if they've notified Nagy he's gone- and George will allow him to stay if he can land a big fish

For argument’s sake, assume I accept your hypothetical premise - if you’re a big fish coach are you even considering the Bears job before you know where the GM stands, specifically? Would you put any value in Pace telling you, “If I get you to be our HC I’ve been assured I’ll be GM for at least a few more years”? Or to put it another way, would you want to take a job under a GM who can only keep his job if he hires you? How does Pace even know the candidate he sees as a big fish is big enough for George - did he get a list of acceptable candidates, and if so, what were George’s establishing criteria? Is it, “You can stay GM, but only if you hire one of our guys”? And if so, does this GM even want to hire you, or are they only looking to save their own job? If you’re the candidate, what is this whole scenario telling you about whether or not this is an organization with whom you want to associate yourself in any way? 

And furthermore, why would George take that approach, if the answer can’t be “Because the Bears do things in dumb backasswards ways”? If you don't think you can trust your GM to make the right coaching hire then you have the wrong GM. Period. I don’t have much faith in George, but I think he understands that. Or at least I hope… 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

For argument’s sake, assume I accept your hypothetical premise - if you’re a big fish coach are you even considering the Bears job before you know where the GM stands, specifically? Would you put any value in Pace telling you, “If I get you to be our HC I’ve been assured I’ll be GM for at least a few more years”? Or to put it another way, would you want to take a job under a GM who can only keep his job if he hires you? How does Pace even know the candidate he sees as a big fish is big enough for George - did he get a list of acceptable candidates, and if so, what were George’s establishing criteria? Is it, “You can stay GM, but only if you hire one of our guys”? And if so, does this GM even want to hire you, or are they only looking to save their own job? If you’re the candidate, what is this whole scenario telling you about whether or not this is an organization with whom you want to associate yourself in any way? 

And furthermore, why would George take that approach, if the answer can’t be “Because the Bears do things in dumb backasswards ways”? If you don't think you can trust your GM to make the right coaching hire then you have the wrong GM. Period. I don’t have much faith in George, but I think he understands that. Or at least I hope… 

So is what you're saying if they keep Pace, they aren't going to get a "good hire" on paper?

All I'm saying is Pace may have went to George and said "look, I think I can persuade Day, Harbaugh or Payton to leave and come here." George may have said "prove it; you have until the 9th or I'm going to let someone else prove it to me."

Sounds strange to even assume, but these guys aren't geniuses (clearly)

fwiw what you're saying makes complete sense - I'm simply playing devils advocate because this is the Bears we're talking about

Edited by beardown3231

56 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

So is what you're saying if they keep Pace, they aren't going to get a "good hire" on paper?

All I'm saying is Pace may have went to George and said "look, I think I can persuade Day, Harbaugh or Payton to leave and come here." George may have said "prove it; you have until the 9th or I'm going to let someone else prove it to me."

Sounds strange to even assume, but these guys aren't geniuses (clearly)

fwiw what you're saying makes complete sense - I'm simply playing devils advocate because this is the Bears we're talking about

No, what I’m saying is that if I were a big fish candidate I’m not even taking the Bears’ call if Pace isn’t himself on a multi-year deal. And maybe not at all if Pace is the GM. If Payton were available or Harbaugh were interested in the NFL they’d have multiple suitors.

I like Day, but I don’t see him as a big fish. Day is a guy who IMO is only on our radar because of the Fields connection. For me the big fish candidates are Harbaugh, McDaniels and Payton (in no particular order). 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

No, what I’m saying is that if I were a big fish candidate I’m not even taking the Bears’ call if Pace isn’t himself on a multi-year deal. And maybe not at all if Pace is the GM. If Payton were available or Harbaugh were interested in the NFL they’d have multiple suitors.

I like Day, but I don’t see him as a big fish. Day is a guy who IMO is only on our radar because of the Fields connection. For me the big fish candidates are Harbaugh, McDaniels and Payton (in no particular order). 

No one knows the contract situation of Pace (or Nagy), do we? Maybe he still has multi years left.

I truly believe the best job opening will be the Bears' or Jags' job. Vegas has 1 thing going for them: it's Vegas. I guess Denver potentially but I think Fangio stays and either way they'd have to really convince someone they're getting Wilson or Rodgers.

Harbaugh won't go to the Jags due to the Baalke stuff and he just doesn't seem like a fit in Vegas. I guess Payton makes sense in Jacksonville if he believes in TL

No one knows the contract situation of Pace (or Nagy), do we? Maybe he still has multi years left.

I truly believe the best job opening will be the Bears' or Jags' job. Vegas has 1 thing going for them: it's Vegas. I guess Denver potentially but I think Fangio stays and either way they'd have to really convince someone they're getting Wilson or Rodgers.

Harbaugh won't go to the Jags due to the Baalke stuff and he just doesn't seem like a fit in Vegas. I guess Payton makes sense in Jacksonville if he believes in TL

We don’t know the contract details but if they were interviewing me for HC I need to know. If I’m the big fish candidate they’re selling themselves to me, not the other way around. 

Our job being the best one available this offseason (which it might be) might also make some of the potential big fish candidates not put themselves out there this offseason. Harbaugh isn’t leaving Michigan, if at all, unless he gets exactly what he wants. Same will go for Payton, McDaniels, etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Wait, so is Peters really going to play today instead of Jenkins? I shouldn't be surprised, but.. really?!

If that is the case then surely Pace is gone with Nagy because no one is running the asylum anymore…Peters had some poor plays this season but given his age and the short notice he was signed at he has been great for us and I can understand wanting to be loyal to guys are respect vets but damn man if Pace was going to be here next year sure he would tell Nagy to play these young guys to see what he has for next season.

Wait, so is Peters really going to play today instead of Jenkins? I shouldn't be surprised, but.. really?!

Why play any of the young guys when you can save them for next season and be healthy for the offseason.