BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

4 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

I always find little details/analysis like this interesting. He had 102 receptions in college. I’m sure there are examples of him tracking the ball. There can be truth to what this guy sees as he is correct on this play and some falsehoods with other plays. Doesn’t have to be black or white. Etienne in 2018 dropped 4 passes on 17 targets and in 2019 dropped 3 on 40 targets so he improved at Clemson. Not sure about the 2020 drop numbers. But very interesting seems like this guy is sticking to his narrative using just the below play as an example while I’m sure there are other plays that would negate this. He may be correct on the route type run at Clemson but I think I’d need to see more to make the judgement he did. 

We’ll see how that progresses during the season. He’s got elusiveness and quick twitch in the open field. Maybe he isn’t a guy you target beyond the LOS and the screens are the best way unlock that ability in the open field. 

Ultimately, getting more of a sample size would be ideal. When he was drafted, his prior HC was adamant about making him a legitimate offensive weapon which suggests playmaking across the entire field. 2 games in after being absent an entire season creates rust. 

• Like 1

If I was in the business of overreacting, I’d say there is plenty of excitement with what our draft class has done so far. 1 choice in the first 32 picks and 3 potential starters week 1 (Cross, Strange, Coby)

Jelani Woods caught a TD
JT Woods caught an INT (nullified bc a penalty)
Martin Emerson pick 6

Hoping for some Alontae Taylor run after missing game 1 and Paulson Adebo/CGJ/Lattimore locking down presumable starter roles.

8 minutes ago, MD4L said:

We’ll see how that progresses during the season. He’s got elusiveness and quick twitch in the open field. Maybe he isn’t a guy you target beyond the LOS and the screens are the best way unlock that ability in the open field. 

Ultimately, getting more of a sample size would be ideal. When he was drafted, his prior HC was adamant about making him a legitimate offensive weapon which suggests playmaking across the entire field. 2 games in after being absent an entire season creates rust. 

I mean the pass in that clip cliff could not have been more wide open and easy and it's easy and easy letting it down to completely off of his hands.  If they cannot trust him to make the easy catches there is no way they are throwing him at more difficult ones.

11 minutes ago, MD4L said:

If I was in the business of overreacting, I’d say there is plenty of excitement with what our draft class has done so far. 1 choice in the first 32 picks and 3 potential starters week 1 (Cross, Strange, Coby)

Jelani Woods caught a TD
JT Woods caught an INT (nullified bc a penalty)
Martin Emerson pick 6

Hoping for some Alontae Taylor run after missing game 1 and Paulson Adebo/CGJ/Lattimore locking down presumable starter roles.

So this is a way of overreacting behind a guise of “not overreacting”. Got it. Drop the front my man and just enjoy the ride. It’s good to be excited about your rookies. We spend a lot of time scouting them (most of us do some of us may just go off an online draft board) and so when they are showing the skill and production we believed they would it’s nice to acknowledge it.

• Like 2

Now I haven’t seen all of the preseason games obviously but other players looking good.

Travis Jones is a stud @Blue and @MWil23 always liked him a lot in the draft 

Liked some of what I saw from Ridder @wwhickok

Drake London looked good creating separation on his one catch and turning up field @Ragnarok

Sauce was looking good and gained like 8-10 pounds of muscle to be more physical @Whicker

• Like 4

Just now, Ragnarok said:

He also never had the chance to really grow and develop at any one position.

Unfortunately he had every opportunity at Ohio State and could t beat out the worst starting linebacker there I’ve seen in Tuf Borland.

I know what these teams see. They see flashes of freak athleticism, edge ability, and sideline closing speed with flashes of lost in space, missed tackles, and zero coverage awareness or play recognition.

Dude has it all athletically…but he’s a hot mess.

21 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I mean the pass in that clip cliff could not have been more wide open and easy and it's easy and easy letting it down to completely off of his hands.  If they cannot trust him to make the easy catches there is no way they are throwing him at more difficult ones.

It was a redzone target, he’s running to the pylon. I think Lawrence could’ve thrown that a half second or so earlier. There was another target he failed to catch so we’ll see how that develops.

If he isn’t a strong WR that could just be out of the backfield. You can still do a lot with that explosiveness on screens.

21 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

So this is a way of overreacting behind a guise of “not overreacting”. Got it. Drop the front my man and just enjoy the ride. It’s good to be excited about your rookies. We spend a lot of time scouting them (most of us do some of us may just go off an online draft board) and so when they are showing the skill and production we believed they would it’s nice to acknowledge it.

Forgot to include Tyquan Thornton scoring a TD in week 1.

I will say we’re going to be rather aggressive on shark tank. Guys might make it less wise to make some moves. It’s a thrill to get any game film on them. We are reacting appropriately. Let’s see what they do with an eventual strong body of work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Forgot to include Tyquan Thornton scoring a TD in week 1.

I will say we’re going to be rather aggressive on shark tank. Guys might make it less wise to make some moves. It’s a thrill to get any game film on them. We are reacting appropriately. Let’s see what they do with an eventual strong body of work.

You have a lot of cap space to be able to add a lot of good talent in the tank that’s for sure