BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

The beauty of baseball is literally nothing because it’s a garbage sport for garbage people 

^^^ That right there is the situation and outcome that every kid who ever played wiffle ball or baseball would set up and live out.  It might actually be one of, if not the best single moment in time related to sports as a whole.  You could maybe argue a few others but personally, none have as much emotion and joy for the fan and the players.  And its not just joy for a Blue Jay fan like @The Orca, but for all fans of baseball. If you can't see the beauty in this moment (which in turn is a microcosm for baseball as a whole) im not sure what else to say.

It's also a lot about the stories, the journeys, and the sometimes uncanny parallels between an ordinary fans life and some of the players.  

"The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again."

Baseball is also the bridge that connects the past with the present and the present with the future.  It's a game where the players still to this day look like you and I.  You can be 5'6, 5'10 280 lbs, or a giant.  

@MWil23 and @The Orca probably get this post. 

• Like 3

I was just saying that bad baseball is very difficult to watch. That is all. Yes bad basketball is too but at least you can get some exciting swings in momentum.

I was just a little kid on that homerun. apparently I watched it but I don't remember. I just knew they won and I wore a Jays cap to the theme park. I was 3 or 4.

• Like 1

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Baseball's biggest issue is marketing their stars.  Its embarrassing.

That and games taking forever.

Some  new rules to look forward to next year and the shift is gone so that will bring back some excitement, although I disagree with the infields not allowed to be in the outfield pre-pitch.

Pitch clock and bigger bases too. Less time to review if people barely went off the bag with bigger bases and more stealing since pitchers are only allowed to step off the rubber twice per at-bat now.

6 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Some  new rules to look forward to next year and the shift is gone so that will bring back some excitement, although I disagree with the infields not allowed to be in the outfield pre-pitch.

Pitch clock and bigger bases too. Less time to review if people barely went off the bag with bigger bases and more stealing since pitchers are only allowed to step off the rubber twice per at-bat now.

They banned the shift?!  The **** did they get away with banning that?

@bcb1213 @Pickle Rick

While this in no way affects me at all, While looking through the workbooks I noticed something. Harold Landry should be listed as an app be listed as inactive as in not counting against Greenland's roster count account however he is still listed as active (no blue highlight).  I don't know that this is a big issue to pickle I just wanted to point it out

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

@bcb1213 @Pickle Rick

While this in no way affects me at all, While looking through the workbooks I noticed something. Harold Landry should be listed as an app be listed as inactive as in not counting against Greenland's roster count account however he is still listed as active (no blue highlight).  I don't know that this is a big issue to pickle I just wanted to point it out

Phidarian Mathis is the same way I believe as well

Just now, Pickle Rick said:
3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

1.  Football feels much faster.
2.  Football games last 3 hours, baseball games routinely go past that.

College and NFL game routinely ago 3:15+

Mlb games are all over the place.  The white sox just played a 2:30 game tonight

Point number 1 is definitely true