BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

3 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Hey when the grades actually match the irl dominance its alright. Like Andrew Thomas.

Obviously they're not wrong about every one of their grades. A broken clock is right twice a day. They're just not a reliable source. In my opinion of course.

Edited by rackcs
  • Like 1

Just now, rackcs said:

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

I'll say this:

PFF's analytics stats and situational stats are absolutely ELITE for a lot of positions. If applied appropriately, it can be a beneficial evaluating tool.

Their rankings and grades are garbage though, especially considering half the time they blow a coverage or blocking assignment grade because they can't differentiate between man/zone responsibilities or various assignments depending upon the play and audible, or if the QB holds onto the football for too long.

Case in point, the Browns have 2-3 OT in the Top 10 in pass block win rate this year but last year had dreadful grades because Baker holds the ball too long. This year the ball is out quickly with JB.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll say this:

PFF's analytics stats and situational stats are absolutely ELITE for a lot of positions. If applied appropriately, it can be a beneficial evaluating tool.

Their rankings and grades are garbage though, especially considering half the time they blow a coverage or blocking assignment grade because they can't differentiate between man/zone responsibilities or various assignments depending upon the play and audible, or if the QB holds onto the football for too long.

Case in point, the Browns have 2-3 OT in the Top 10 in pass block win rate this year but last year had dreadful grades because Baker holds the ball too long. This year the ball is out quickly with JB.

I've heard about their stats or whatever being good, I'm only referring to their player grades because that's what I have experience with. I forget how expensive it is to get the real stats and stuff but it's way too much for me. I paid for gamepass, now NFL+ instead because I'd rather just watch the games and determine for myself how I think a player did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I, too, like PFF when it supports my narrative.

Even then, no. Their grades are always bad. Against my narrative: Week 1 they graded Braxton Jones as a better pass blocker than run blocker whereas anyone who watched that game could tell you that Jones was moving dudes in the run game but was giving up some pressure as a pass blocker.

Obviously I think Jones has improved, that was his first game in a move up from FCS football playing against Nick Bosa in a rainstorm. But PFF was still very wrong.

13 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I've heard about their stats or whatever being good, I'm only referring to their player grades because that's what I have experience with. I forget how expensive it is to get the real stats and stuff but it's way too much for me. I paid for gamepass, now NFL+ instead because I'd rather just watch the games and determine for myself how I think a player did.

I just use whatever other people here post on Twitter or other "experts"

• Like 2