BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

Again, the caveats:

1. This is a pure snapshot look at where I think teams are at this particular moment in the season. This could look very different in four days.

2. I only considered players who are currently healthy and playing. If a guy is suspended or out indefinitely, they weren't counted unless they could reasonably (afaik) be expected to play within the next week.

3. I largely tried to go off who teams chose to start rather than who I thought their best players at the position are/were. If I thought you had a better player on the bench than the one you chose to start, I went with your choice. That affected a couple rankings negatively. Sorry.

4. Depth was a factor at most positions except QB, OL, and S. Very few people actually choose to play more than their starters at those positions, so I didn't include anyone else there (and I don't think anything would change even if I did). Everywhere else, I considered the quality of the depth and roughly the top 1-3 players off the bench. The idea was to give teams credit for having a quality rotation at places like DT and WR instead of just one or two great players. Yes, a few rankings would change significantly if that wasn't a consideration.

5. No, I don't think I have the third-best offense (god, definitely not that) or defense in BDL. Teams are more than just the sum of their parts, and certain teams have schematic fits that cause their players to outperform my opinion on their overall quality. The match of Derrick Henry with Lamar Jackson in Death Valley, for instance, makes both those players better than I think they are on their own.

QB

1.      Cancun

2.      Flint

3.      Anchorage

4.      Lancaster

5.      Rome

6.      Death Valley

7.      Hungary

8.      Greenland

9.      Cuba

10.  Singapore

11.  Ivory Coast

12.  Raleigh

13.  Camden

14.  Gotham

15.  Seoul

16.  Berlin

RB

1.      Cuba

2.      Flint

3.      Ivory Coast

4.      Cancun

5.      Seoul

6.      Anchorage

7.      Death Valley

8.      Camden

9.      Rome

10.  Lancaster

11.  Singapore

12.  Hungary

13.  Raleigh

14.  Greenland

15.  Berlin

16.  Gotham

WR

1.      Gotham

2.      Camden

3.      Greenland

4.      Hungary

5.      Singapore

6.      Rome

7.      Flint

8.      Cuba

9.      Anchorage

10.  Death Valley

11.  Lancaster

12.  Ivory Coast

13.  Cancun

14.  Berlin

15.  Seoul

16.  Raleigh

TE/FB

1.      Seoul

2.      Flint

3.      Raleigh

4.      Anchorage

5.      Rome

6.      Berlin

7.      Lancaster

8.      Cancun

9.      Camden

10.  Singapore

11.  Hungary

12.  Death Valley

13.  Ivory Coast

14.  Greenland

15.  Cuba

16.  Gotham

OL (this was really hard and I think after the top 3-4 there’s a lot of room for debate)

1.      Raleigh

2.      Anchorage

3.      Seoul

4.      Ivory Coast

5.      Greenland

6.      Berlin

7.      Cancun

8.      Singapore

9.      Death Valley

10.  Rome

11.  Camden

12.  Cuba

13.  Gotham

14.  Flint

15.  Hungary

16.  Lancaster

Edge

1.      Ivory Coast

2.      Anchorage

3.      Camden

4.      Death Valley

5.      Flint

6.      Berlin

7.      Greenland

8.      Cancun

9.      Rome

10.  Raleigh

11.  Cuba

12.  Gotham

13.  Seoul

14.  Singapore

15.  Lancaster

16.  Hungary

DT

1.      Flint

2.      Death Valley

3.      Cancun

4.      Berlin

5.      Anchorage

6.      Ivory Coast

7.      Gotham

8.      Greenland

9.      Camden

10.  Singapore

11.  Rome

12.  Seoul

13.  Lancaster

14.  Cuba

15.  Raleigh

16.  Hungary

LB

1.      Greenland

2.      Cancun

3.      Anchorage

4.      Rome

5.      Cuba

6.      Hungary

7.      Lancaster

8.      Death Valley

9.      Flint

10.  Berlin

11.  Gotham

12.  Singapore

13.  Camden

14.  Seoul

15.  Ivory Coast

16.  Raleigh

CB

1.      Anchorage

2.      Gotham

3.      Raleigh

4.      Lancaster

5.      Rome

6.      Death Valley

7.      Camden

8.      Greenland

9.      Flint

10.  Ivory Coast

11.  Seoul

12.  Cuba

13.  Cancun

14.  Berlin

15.  Hungary

16.  Singapore

S

1.      Anchorage

2.      Cuba

3.      Death Valley

4.      Cancun

5.      Ivory Coast

6.      Raleigh

7.      Camden

8.      Berlin

9.      Greenland

10.  Flint

11.  Hungary

12.  Singapore

13.  Rome

14.  Lancaster

15.  Gotham

16.  Seoul

For overall team rankings, treat these as golf scores: lower is better. Again, it's meant to be a snapshot of this week; health and depth play a lot into it, so teams that have quality starters out are likely to be lower than they seem like they should be.

Offense:

1.      Anchorage (24)

2.      Flint (27)

3.      Cancun (33)

4.      Rome (35)

5.      Seoul (39)

6.      Camden (43)

7.      Death Valley (44)

8.      Greenland (44)

9.      Ivory Coast (44)

10.  Singapore (44)

11.  Cuba (45)

12.  Raleigh (45)

13.  Lancaster (48)

14.  Hungary (49)

15.  Berlin (57)

16.  Gotham (60)

Defense:

1.      Anchorage (12)

2.      Death Valley (23)

3.      Cancun (30)

4.      Flint (34)

5.      Greenland (35)

6.      Ivory Coast (37)

7.      Camden (39)

8.      Rome (42)

9.      Berlin (43)

10.  Cuba (44)

11.  Gotham (47)

12.  Raleigh (50)

13.  Lancaster (53)

14.  Hungary (64)

15.  Singapore (64)

16.  Seoul (66)

Overall:

1.      Anchorage (36)

2.      Flint (61)

3.      Cancun (63)

4.      Death Valley (67)

T-5.      Greenland (77)

T-5.      Rome (77)

7.      Ivory Coast (80)

8.      Camden (82)

9.      Cuba (89)

10.  Raleigh (95)

11.  Berlin (100)

12.  Lancaster (101)

13.  Seoul (105)

14.  Gotham (107)

15.  Singapore (108)

16.  Hungary (113)

Ratings aside, I think there are three clear BizzBowl favorites at this point in time: Anchorage, Flint, and Rome. Any one of the top 9 teams could go on a run and win it all with a few lucky breaks and improved play from specific players. Lancaster stands out as a current playoff team that, frankly, seems a bit undervalued here due to injuries. Conversely, Greenland's record doesn't reflect how good I think they are right now and could be a tough out in the playoffs if they make it in.

• Like 4

The main one of mine that I very strongly disagree with is my interior defensive line being rated so low. I don't see how Kenny Clark and Justin Madubuike are 13th.

I'm also curious who on my OL is performing lowly enough this year to earn 16th overall. Nobody on my OL is having a bad year this year, they're all performing at least around average.

Edited by rackcs

3 minutes ago, rackcs said:

The only one of mine that I very strongly disagree with is my interior defensive line being rated so low. I don't see how Kenny Clark and Justin Madubuike are 13th.

Clark is really good. Madubuike is better suited coming off the bench IMO, and your depth behind them is awful. I could see an argument for swapping you with Seoul, but who else would you put yourself ahead of right now?

6 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

i'll let most of it be but

1st and 2nd in the league in sacks.  DE rating.....9th

Houston: 6.5 sacks in his last three games. Impressive! Only played 5 games this year and got those sacks against statues protected by the likes of Jedrick Wills, Donovan Smith, and James Hurst: less impressive.

Judon in a similar boat. I think his numbers are less a product of talent and more scheme. Leonard Floyd has 21.5 sacks over his past 2 1/2 years, I hope nobody thinks he's a top-tier pass rusher.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Clark is really good. Madubuike is better suited coming off the bench IMO, and your depth behind them is awful. I could see an argument for swapping you with Seoul, but who else would you put yourself ahead of right now?

Houston: 6.5 sacks in his last three games. Impressive! Only played 5 games this year and got those sacks against statues protected by the likes of Jedrick Wills, Donovan Smith, and James Hurst: less impressive.

Judon in a similar boat. I think his numbers are less a product of talent and more scheme. Leonard Floyd has 21.5 sacks over his past 2 1/2 years, I hope nobody thinks he's a top-tier pass rusher.

Well I disagree about Madubuike, he has the 2nd most snaps of a DL on the Ravens this year, only 3 snaps behind Calais Campbell, and has been having a breakout year. I didn't realize you were including depth, I thought you were only rating starters. I'll agree that my depth is not great right now behind those two.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I will say on @Blue's behalf, on most of the ones where I think my starters are low(Quinnen and Derrick are the best starting DT tandem in BDL this year and Edge and S are low as well imo), the depth guys behind them are average at best.

Oh I 100% agree Brown and Quinnen are better than my starters, but you don't have much behind them. Again, rankings would be quite different if I was only looking at starters.

At Edge, you would be higher if I didn't expect Browning to still be out. We all know you think the world of Juan Thornhill, an opinion most of us do not share. Winfield's status is a little up in the air right now as well, although I leaned towards him playing this week.

2 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Well you should also lean towards TJ Watt starting this week, it's looking likely he'll be back out there. With Watt back, what would that do to my EDGE rating?

Oooh, I thought he was out another week. At a glance, probably up to 10. Rome does have a pretty deep stable of edge rushers even if I don't think the starters are as good as their numbers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Well you should also lean towards TJ Watt starting this week, it's looking likely he'll be back out there. With Watt back, what would that do to my EDGE rating?

I'm envisioning a proportional vault upwards akin to me getting T. White back healthy at CB. 

• Like 1