BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

On 12/10/2022 at 6:40 PM, wwhickok said:

Yes it is, I agree but let me ask a serious question, as RTTruth just passed ownership on? Like .. he hasnt been here all season

In short, yes.

This league, at least in season, requires far more time than I am willing to commit. 
I appreciate the opportunity. But I simply can’t put the effort in that is required to take this league seriously.

Apologies for the inconvenience of searching for yet another owner. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

However, I do think you guys would get a bigger crowd as well as a higher retention rate if the workload was decreased.  Just my 2 cents.

To clarify, this doesn't mean the only way to achieve this would be to inject a sim especially if the people involved with it doesn't want it.  Just saying that if the workload was decreased in any capacity would be huge, imo.

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

I can respect that.  I personally, get burnt out with the writeups and voting.  Just gets to the point of they all start to read the same after a bit.  I enjoy writing but again after I've wrote a couple of them, I'm done, I hate to say it, but I just don't want to work that hard when the end result comes down to someone voting for or against me.  Why I enjoy being a co owner rather than an owner.  BDL is a huge commitment of labor and love.

I'd rather have someone voting on if they thought the sim got it right or wrong or just accepting the result of the simulation result.  I believe that this would resolve the issues of inhouse fighting with each other at least.   Not that I don't enjoy writing or reading, wouldn't be here if that was the case, but that it just becomes monotonous.  Obviously, I'm in the minority with this otherwise bdl wouldn't be here...haha.  However, I do think you guys would get a bigger crowd as well as a higher retention rate if the workload was decreased.  Just my 2 cents.

To me, this sounds like a patch.  I think to truly fix the issue you're seeing, you've got to work out the issue from start to finish.  Not saying the blind bid itself is a patch but I think it would be smart to look past to see if any issues it would create and if so, how to fix them so we aren't chasing loopholes.  Just a suggestion.   

I'll say that I'm looking forward to the offseason, to see how these debates on changes progress.

I think the biggest issue is that no one looks forward to voting due to the ****show that can go along with it.

The true fix would be if people stopped assuming the worst, presuming a vote was in bad faith, and being paranoid.  That way we might actually have the bandwidth to address a real issue if it came up.  But at some point its the boy who cried wolf.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

In short, yes.

This league, at least in season, requires far more time than I am willing to commit. 
I appreciate the opportunity. But I simply can’t put the effort in that is required to take this league seriously.

Just be like me and never take anything seriously. Problem solved 

7 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

In short, yes.

@WFLukic you got your year away.  Time to come back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I think the biggest issue is that no one looks forward to voting due to the ****show that can go along with it.

The true fix would be if people stopped assuming the worst, presuming a vote was in bad faith, and being paranoid.  That way we might actually have the bandwidth to address a real issue if it came up.  But at some point its the boy who cried wolf.

You're right, I definitely went off the tracks a bit.  I think it was me just trying to explain why I prefer a sim over the writeups and that I think it would decrease some of the bickering that we see all too often.  This and that I'm working on this sim for my mock and love feedback, be it good or bad.  I believe constructive criticism and sound debate is ideal for building a successful mock.  LOL...here I go again...sorry man. 

Also agree with you on the actual fix of if people just stopped being as you suggested.  Perhaps little things such as not allowing votes from same divisions.  I assume this has been mentioned in the past, not sure if it's been done or not, if so, what issues it may have created.  

38 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

In short, yes.

Maybe become someones Co Owner?

38 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

It's a couple of things.

1st & foremost I think The solution to people who don't want to post an explanation is to not count their vote. And I don't know what the ideal solution could the game plans are as far as getting people to read them but nothing is more of a deterrent in this way then people who clearly don't read the game plan post an explanation that is absolutely F and then vote based on that. That right there is what causes the s*** storm some of these threads become

Edited by wwhickok

I’d say a good majority don’t post cuz they don’t want to deal with the aftermath if it’s a close matchup.     Keep teams away from posting in their own game threads outside of answering pre-asked questions. 

Edited by RedGold
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

It's a couple of things.

1st & foremost I think The solution to people who don't want to post an explanation is to not count their vote. And I don't know what the ideal solution could the game plans are as far as getting people to read them but nothing is more of a deterrent in this way then people who clearly don't read the game plan post an explanation that is absolutely F and then vote based on that. That right there is what causes the s*** storm some of these threads become

And who would decide when someone has clearly not read a gameplan or when someone's justification isn't good enough?

The solution is not, in any way, having to take a vote every week to determine if someone meets the reasoning requirements.  We set that up and we may as well shut this down the same day.

8 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I’d say a good majority don’t post cuz they don’t want to deal with the aftermath if it’s a close matchup.     Keep teams away from posting in their own game threads outside of answering pre-asked questions. 

I tend to agree.

8 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

And who would decide when someone has clearly not read a gameplan or when someone's justification isn't good enough?

The solution is not, in any way, having to take a vote every week to determine if someone meets the reasoning requirements.  We set that up and we may as well shut this down the same day.

I tend to agree.

In that 1st paragraph I was mainly talking about guys who don't even leave an explanation. I agree with what you are saying about guys who don't read the game plan like how do you deal with that while quite frankly we don't.

29 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

It's a couple of things.

Looks like the rules and guidelines already cover what you are saying.

Each NFL Sunday, you are required to send a lineup and a gameplan to face your opponent. Each lineup should field 11 starters (just like IRL) and up to 8 bench players for both Offense and Defense. An offensive and defensive gameplan should explain the strategy of the team to beat its opponent (for example, take a look at last year's Bizz Bowl: link Bizz Bowl game thread as an example). All gameplans must be submitted by 1pm ET on Sundays. To decide the winner, other forum members are required to vote and explain their votes on each matchup before Wednesday at 11:59 pm ET. Co-owners are only allowed to vote for their team if the owner doesn’t vote himself. Homefield advantage should be taken into account in the voting process. Games that are tied at 12 am ET go into overtime. The overtime lasts 1 hour and the first vote breaking the tie is the decisive vote. 

Penalties are applicable for owners who don’t send their gameplans, who don’t vote or who don’t state their votes. (Insert penalties voted in owners meeting) 

Each team will play its division opponent 2 times and two divisions’ teams once, which make a 12 games regular season. 

Voting Time
Polls Open - Once threads are posted. Generally you should at least see how the NFL games go Sunday to determine how players perform but it is not required.
Polls Close - Wednesdays at 11:59PM EST