BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

I mean, Haskins had a ridiculous year also.

No doubt. He was at least a first round pick. JT Barrett wasn't even liked by OSU fans, and frankly, not to be a jerk, the only reason they won the 'ship that year in '14 is because he broke his leg and Cardale Jones set the world on fire.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Tearing them apart in a sense like here in BDL, when one team is really good for a long time people get a mental fatigue, and it seems easier to bash them for little stuff. But in reality they lost the SB last year because of the OL, addressed that in a major way and I'd have to imagine that in most peoples minds were SB locks despite a semi slow start.

KC played with fire all year and generally they were good enough to get away with stretches of boredom and their inability/refusal to commit to the running game and depending upon Mahomes to play "hero ball" all the time. They got away with it Week 1 vs. Cleveland since the Browns did classic Browns things and imploded by fumbling and their punter dropping snaps, but they couldn't get away with it vs. Cincinnati TWICE and had some growing pains early.

Just now, MWil23 said:

KC played with fire all year and generally they were good enough to get away with stretches of boredom and their inability/refusal to commit to the running game and depending upon Mahomes to play "hero ball" all the time. They got away with it Week 1 vs. Cleveland since the Browns did classic Browns things and imploded by fumbling and their punter dropping snaps, but they couldn't get away with it vs. Cincinnati TWICE and had some growing pains early.

Oh early in the year Mahomes' wild passes were killing him, and people had been waiting on the table to turn on that for years. But overall he's wildly talented and so are his skill positions so they're going to win those more often than not.

The running game thing is interesting, as Andy used to do that in Philly. They'd play a team with the 32nd ranked run D, and pass 50 times and lose and after the game the media would ask why he didn't run and he'd say something like "uuuuuuhhhhhh we saw something on film uhhhhhhhhh that uhhhh we thought we could work with uhhhhhh".

Yeah the narrative all year was basically the Chiefs or Bills were gonna represent the AFC in the SB. If Tennessee were in that spot and Tannehill said they beat all odds, absolutely. But the only other team outside of Buffalo and KC that got legit hype was the Chargers. The Browns had some hype preseason and that fell to crap real quick and Lamar looked good for a fortnight or so early before he and the rest of the Ravens hit a wall. But the Chiefs definitely had a roster that should've been favourites to represent the AFC, regardless of what their own fans were saying.

• Like 1

Speaking of motivation, it was always crazy to me how Brady used being a 6th round pick to fuel his underdog fire even 20 years later when he was pretty unanimously regarded the GOAT. Some guys just have to use slights, perceived or real, to motivate themselves. Alabama does it every year too talking about themselves as the underdog and how people didn't believe in them. It's effective bulletin board material for players/teams even if it has no basis in reality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WFLukic said:

Yeah the narrative all year was basically the Chiefs or Bills were gonna represent the AFC in the SB. If Tennessee were in that spot and Tannehill said they beat all odds, absolutely. But the only other team outside of Buffalo and KC that got legit hype was the Chargers. The Browns had some hype preseason and that fell to crap real quick and Lamar looked good for a fortnight or so early before he and the rest of the Ravens hit a wall. But the Chiefs definitely had a roster that should've been favourites to represent the AFC, regardless of what their own fans were saying.

You get a like for using fortnight in a sentence.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Speaking of motivation, it was always crazy to me how Brady used being a 6th round pick to fuel his underdog fire even 20 years later when he was pretty unanimously regarded the GOAT. Some guys just have to use slights, perceived or real, to motivate themselves. Alabama does it every year too talking about themselves as the underdog and how people didn't believe in them. It's effective bulletin board material for players/teams even if it has no basis in reality.

Even more than that, and one of the reasons early on he never really was outspoken on UM, he wasn't even a STARTER because of Drew "I got drafted in the first round by the Yankees" Henson. It's the same with MJ being left off a varsity team as a sophomore and spinning making the JV team as "I got cut from HS". He even invited that 12th man to his HOF speech.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Tearing them apart in a sense like here in BDL, when one team is really good for a long time people get a mental fatigue, and it seems easier to bash them for little stuff. But in reality they lost the SB last year because of the OL, addressed that in a major way and I'd have to imagine that in most peoples minds were SB locks despite a semi slow start.

Ohh I'm 100% on board with you all.     I just think that was a mini shot at the KC fanbase,  more than him actually believing that.        

Fact is,   Mahomes was a huge reason we lost yesterday.  You can call it Andy abandoning the run again,    but it came back to RPO's biting us (very similar to the struggles mid season).     I'd wager over 50% of Mahomes Int's are on RPO's where he should have handed it off.     The coaching staff didn't abandon the run as much as they stat sheet says,   Mahomes just got into always passing on the RPO's when he shouldn't have.     The Int to Hill,     1st play of OT,    the 2nd down at the end of the 4th..  were all RPO's where we should have been handing the ball off.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Then there’s Burrow who flips it as being tired of the underdog narrative and that they are coming for it all.

@bcb1213 @SirA1

To my understanding we are allowed to 3 up-and-over players that have a 5th year option  Is exercised by Irl team. If someone does this and their NFL team sign them to a new contract does the contract that we have them on then become that contract? (In other words is the BDL contract automatically extended/increased)?

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

Ohh I'm 100% on board with you all.     I just think that was a mini shot at the KC fanbase,  more than him actually believing that.        

Fact is,   Mahomes was a huge reason we lost yesterday.  You can call it Andy abandoning the run again,    but it came back to RPO's biting us (very similar to the struggles mid season).     I'd wager over 50% of Mahomes Int's are on RPO's where he should have handed it off.     The coaching staff didn't abandon the run as much as they stat sheet says,   Mahomes just got into always passing on the RPO's when he shouldn't have.     The Int to Hill,     1st play of OT,    the 2nd down at the end of the 4th..  were all RPO's where we should have been handing the ball off.  

Is at the point in which Pat mahomes started letting his ego dictate that game I started rooting for the bengals. Here is some reality. It is arguable that The Bangles should have benefited from a defensive pass interference play on an early drive-in the end zone that potentially cost them 4 points but that's not guaranteed. So let's talk about what is guaranteed. Papa John's single handedly cost that team 3 points by telling his headcoach to keep it's head coach to keep the field go unit on the sideline because he was going to score a it's going to score by touchdown. And then he didn't the drive was stuffed right before half time and all of the momentum swung the other way. In my mind it is at that point that the Kansas City Chiefs lost this game.