BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

3 minutes ago, rackcs said:

You'd be absolutely wrong about that and it's not even really close

The other receiver averaged 15 YPG less but 4+ YPR on half as many catches with a quarterback who, by your own admission, couldn't push the ball downfield. I'm inclined to think Johnson is a good player who ended up in a good position to look better than he is.

23 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't think Diontae is the best receiver on his own team, and I don't think either of them are No. 1 receivers in BDL.

Lol. He’s by far more productive then Claypool and I think he’s better then Juju at this stage in both their careers.

Edited by MD4L
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Lol. He’s by far more productive then Claypool and I think he’s better then Juju at this stage in both their careers.

11 minutes ago, Blue said:

The other receiver averaged 15 YPG less but 4+ YPR on half as many catches with a quarterback who, by your own admission, couldn't push the ball downfield. I'm inclined to think Johnson is a good player who ended up in a good position to look better than he is.

Claypool is also two years younger.

Edited by Blue

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

Claypool is also two years younger.

Even Juju is relatively young so between the Steelers top 3, age is meaningless.

Claypool is certainly the best athlete amongst the 3, but Johnson is the best receiver amongst the group right now IMO.

He almost doubled Claypool in catches this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Diontae Johnson at the 1st rd level and Miles Sanders as a 3rd both feel like overpays imo. I can't imagine anyone ponying up more than a 3rd for Johnson, if that, and any deal he's offered will likely be matchable. I'm not sure you could give Sanders away.

I mean if he wants them and doesn't want to potentially get into a bidding war for them. might as well overpay a thousand or so now than potentially over paying even more (and for more years) later or possibly losing the player

• Like 4

Y'all got me thinking about who I would take as a WR1 in BDL. In a rough, by no means exact order:

1. Davante Adams
2. Ja'marr Chase
3. Justin Jefferson
4. Tyreek Hill
5. Stefon Diggs
6. Mike Evans
7. Terry McLaurin
8. DeAndre Hopkins (health permitting, little worried he's on the downswing)
9. AJ Brown
10. Cooper Kupp
11. Deebo Samuel

Several other players in the conversation: Courtland Sutton, Amari Cooper, Mike Williams, Chris Godwin, DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, Adam Thielen. A lot of those guys are struggling through QB or injury issues, some haven't been able to string together consecutive strong seasons or week-to-week consistency.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Even Juju is relatively young so between the Steelers top 3, age is meaningless.

Claypool is certainly the best athlete amongst the 3, but Johnson is the best receiver amongst the group right now IMO.

He almost doubled Claypool in catches this year. 

lolwut? Juju isn't part of this conversation at all.

Age isn't meaningless. Claypool at 23 is better than Johnson was at 23. The catches don't mean much when, as we are all well aware and agree on, Roethlisberger was looking to throw underneath all year and Claypool's game is best in the intermediate/deep areas of the field.

Diontae runs routes maybe a handful of guys can do.   He just needs to catch the ball,   And get with a QB that doesn’t bring him down.    Don’t think he’s Top 5,  but he does things the guys above him can’t/don’t do as well.   

Round 1 tender is high,  but I would have debated offering on a 2nd round. 

Edited by RedGold
  • Like 2

Guess I don't value route-running as highly as y'all do. A guy can get better at running routes or using better technique to get off the line or get open, but you can't teach size or speed. Route running matters, yeah, and size/speed isn't everything obviously, but I know I'd rather bet on the stuff you can't teach.

Course, betting on HWS is how one ends up trading up to draft Kevin White, lol.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I mean if he wants them and doesn't want to potentially get into a bidding war for them. might as well overpay a thousand or so now than potentially over paying even more (and for more years) later or possibly losing the player

I put a 2nd round tender on Alex Cappa last year.  Did I think anyone would touch that?  I did not.  Was it higher than his value?  Probably.  

Was it worth it to 1. Keep him and 2. Not have to worry about paying more than I had alloted?  Yes.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Blue said:

Guess I don't value route-running as highly as y'all do. A guy can get better at running routes or using better technique to get off the line or get open, but you can't teach size or speed. Route running matters, yeah, and size/speed isn't everything obviously, but I know I'd rather bet on the stuff you can't teach.

Course, betting on HWS is how one ends up trading up to draft Kevin White, lol.

Stephen Hill!  Cordarrelle Patterson!  Justin Hunter!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Blue said:

Course, betting on HWS is how one ends up trading up to draft Kevin White,

Or Hakeem Butler or Brandon Coleman or Jalen Hurd or however many towering idiots I've drafted. 

I think Mike Evans is the only big guy I've drafted that's worked out. Granted I took the other guys much later, but still awful picks

Edited by Jlash
  • Like 1

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Stephen Hill!  Cordarrelle Patterson!  Justin Hunter!

Just now, Jlash said:

Or Hakeem Butler or Brandon Coleman or Jalen Hurd or however many towering idiots I've drafted. 

I think Mike Evans is the only big guy I've drafted that's worked out. Granted I took the other guys much later, but still awful picisl

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

• Like 4