BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

*Gregory Rousseau has entered the chatroom

Understand Captain America GIF

Note Ragnarok not so subtly trying to sell ZaDarius on his block. Kudos my friend.

I mean, if things align the way that I hope, there's a definitive legitimate possibility that I can run an odd/even hybrid front while keeping a lot of the same personnel on the field and simultaneously having the ability to get to the QB without having to blitz as much...while giving exotic looks that are relatively schematically sound and simple.

Not Bad Kind Of GIF by MOODMAN

Has Rousseau played inside for the Bills much?

And I doubt Z get much interest after being hurt most the year.

17 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Has Rousseau played inside for the Bills much?

The Bills' EDGE situation is pretty mediocre, so they had him as a pretty pure 4-3 guy, albeit when he was at Miami he excelled as an interior pass rusher. I'd imagine if they get more depth, they'll likely utilize his length and athleticism inside on 3rd down "Rushman package" situations.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The Bills' EDGE situation is pretty mediocre, so they had him as a pretty pure 4-3 guy, albeit when he was at Miami he excelled as an interior pass rusher. I'd imagine if they get more depth, they'll likely utilize his length and athleticism inside on 3rd down "Rushman package" situations.

I knew he did it at Miami, didn't think I'd seen it in Buffalo.  I do agree that he and Oliver next to each other on 3rd down would be a nice interior pass rushing combo.

That said, if the bills never do it, it'll harder for you to justify doing.

49 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So I shouldn't include him as an example since he only had 2 good years playing this position? I'm kind of confused. Justin Smith played in a 4-3 for a bit and no one seemed to mind that he was kind of underwhelming in that scheme. 

I personally put "hybrid" in there to show that guys like him have a lot of versatility as a 5 tech AND as an OLB. Judon plays both as well.

i just think he's a weird inclusion as he spend half his career as an ILB off the line

22 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I knew he did it at Miami, didn't think I'd seen it in Buffalo.  I do agree that he and Oliver next to each other on 3rd down would be a nice interior pass rushing combo.

No question

*Warning: Rant incoming*

See, I've always HATED this argument. If we aren't doing a simulation league, and people can see with their eyes, go off of tape and fit, and then also understand that scheme and system matters, holding it against someone because they "never do it", is purely stupid.

We don't hold it against QB's and WR's who aren't asked to do ______ in their team's system here. For example, we just saw TB12 win a Super Bowl last year in a completely different system then he was ever asked to run or ran in New England...a vertical passing system with a ton of 5 step drops killing it in the intermediate. Just because he was never asked to in NE doesn't mean that he couldn't.

And let's say I have a LOADED WR group with Hopkins, Adams, and Mike Evans. I guess you should absolutely hold it against me for having Evans in the slot since he never does it in Tampa Bay, even if I invert him to force teams to play press man on him, likely matching him up against some undersized JAG there.

Plus, Rousseau lines up as a 5 Tech a LOT, which despite scheme in a 4-3 defense, means that he's essentially a 3-4 DE from what's asked of him. He's a 2 gap stopper aligned to a TE who can also come off of the edge. If the Bills send an outside blitzer, he's the interior gap guy, which is literally no different than if he moved inside to a 3 Tech or 4I shaded inside the OT on 3rd down with a 9 Tech coming off of the EDGE beside him.

I guess I'm going to need some clearer cut criteria if I can't justify/we can't justify guys we plug into schemes and gameplans compared to what they do IRL since we are selectively cherry picking that on other sides of the ball and position groups and aren't being held to the same standard.

:) 

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

i just think he's a weird inclusion as he spend half his career as an ILB off the line

I included him purely because of Judon. Judon was listed as an off ball LB this year, but he lined up on the EDGE and played a hybrid DE role so often that you can't necessarily box him into a position.

There were times in NE and Baltimore that Thomas even lined up as a "safety" (hybrid box defender) depending upon alignment.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2005-11-25-0511250121-story.html

And here's another article on why I included the two:

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2021/03/16/why-matt-judon-wont-be-another-adalius-thomas-fiasco-for-new-england/

Good read on dropping back into coverage vs. blitz rate (Judon dropped back into coverage almost 30% of the time)

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No question

See, I've always HATED this argument. If we aren't doing a simulation league, and people can see with their eyes, go off of tape and fit, and then also understand that scheme and system matters, holding it against someone because they "never do it", is purely stupid.

We don't hold it against QB's and WR's who aren't asked to do ______ in their team's system here. For example, we just saw TB12 win a Super Bowl last year in a completely different system then he was ever asked to run or ran in New England...a vertical passing system with a ton of 5 step drops killing it in the intermediate. Just because he was never asked to in NE doesn't mean that he couldn't.

And let's say I have a LOADED WR group with Hopkins, Adams, and Mike Evans. I guess you should absolutely hold it against me for having Evans in the slot since he never does it in Tampa Bay, even if I invert him to force teams to play press man on him, likely matching him up against some undersized JAG there.

Plus, Rousseau lines up as a 5 Tech a LOT, which despite scheme in a 4-3 defense, means that he's essentially a 3-4 DE from what's asked of him. He's a 2 gap stopped aligned to a TE who can also come off of the edge. If the Bills send an outside blitzer, he's the interior gap guy, which is literally no different than if he moved inside to a 3 Tech or 4I shaded inside the OT on 3rd down with a 9 Tech coming off of the EDGE beside him.

I guess I'm going to need some clearer cut criteria if I can't justify/we can't justify guys we plug into schemes and gameplans compared to what they do IRL since we are selectively cherry picking that on other sides of the ball and position groups and aren't being held to the same standard.

65l3tt.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No question

Plus, Rousseau lines up as a 5 Tech a LOT, which despite scheme in a 4-3 defense, means that he's essentially a 3-4 DE from what's asked of him. He's a 2 gap stopped aligned to a TE who can also come off of the edge. If the Bills send an outside blitzer, he's the interior gap guy, which is literally no different than if he moved inside to a 3 Tech or 4I shaded inside the OT on 3rd down with a 9 Tech coming off of the EDGE beside him.

I’m going to start supporting this more. And I expect others too as well when I play Micah as primarily an edge next season (maybe he doesn’t fit this argument since he did play it primarily in some games, but if he doesn’t next season in Dallas this will apply)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Ragnarok: I agree that Oliver and Rousseau would be a nice pass rushing combo inside

Also Ragnarok: I am going to immediately contradict myself by saying that you can't justify it even though I agree that it would be a smart decision

Oooooooooh yes I love this rivalry already

65l4bt.jpg

• Like 2