BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

Potentially Unpopular hot take:

This is also why interviews and background is important. As an old coach once said, “Your best ability is availability.”

Mental health is absolutely a real thing. That said, it’s a teams job to get a player who is available to play, so from a purely football standpoint, it makes having to gauge whether or not that player is going to “hold up” mentally important.

Ask real college players, even some of my former teammates, if being away from home or playing for a certain coach impacts that. It does. That’s why Larry Bird left IU.

If Ridley wants out for his mental health, I wish him the best and hope he gets the help he needs and isn’t just playing a card here. That said, I would also see why others would say he’s quitting on the team if he plays elsewhere by forcing himself out. Likely only Ridley knows his mental health status.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

I hope I'm wrong but if he gets traded this offseason, that'll be a clear answer he just didn't want to be there 

I'm not sure I agree with that. If he is struggling with depression, for example, all kinds of things can trigger that. Being in a 'losing situaiton' tends to just add to the mental misery. 

• Like 1

Just now, wwhickok said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. If he is struggling with depression, for example, all kinds of things can trigger that. Being in a 'losing situaiton' tends to just add to the mental misery. 

If being in a losing situation is bad for his mental health, then he should step away for himself. But it also is clearly quitting on your team.  In fact that would be virtually the definition.  whether that's for legit reasons or not we'll likely never know 

2 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

If being in a losing situation is bad for his mental health, then he should step away for himself. But it also is clearly quitting on your team.  In fact that would be virtually the definition.  whether that's for legit reasons or not we'll likely never know 

I get why you view it that way, but I simply don't. Mental health is a serious issue that shouldn't be taken lightly and if a football team/employer can't understand that, they don't deserve the employee tbh. 

39 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Think it's extremely harsh to say somebody with mental health issues quit on their team.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Blue said:

Think it's extremely harsh to say somebody with mental health issues quit on their team.

It depends upon how legitimate those are. Is he mentally weak or is it legitimately mental health? It’s impossible for us to know. He could be legitimately going through something real or he could be mentally soft. Only he and the doctors treating him can know for sure. It’s tough to say.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

It’s also not for any of you to judge the depth of his mental illness.

I agree. Moreso, I also don't condone anyone using the mental illness card as an excuse when they're not actually dealing with mental illness. (As far as Ridley us concerned no one knows what's really going on either way).

Those of us who struggle with mental illness truly understand what that means.