BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

1 minute ago, Blue said:

From Roto:

FWIW, I've heard the same thing about Pickens for a couple years now and he wasn't on our board because of it. I genuinely don't like talking about guys like this, I don't know them personally and it's mostly just "heard from a friend of a friend" kinda stuff. However, he, Isaiah Spiller, and Jameson Williams are guys I believe need to do some growing up and I don't particularly want to be the team hoping that they do. @Ragnarokreally did us a solid last year taking Kadarius Toney instead of Elijah Moore because I would not want to be in his shoes trying to figure out what's going on there.

Bah

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue said:

From Roto:

When asked which WR is the most boom-or-bust guy, three coaches/scouts interviewed by the Athletic's Bruce Feldman picked George Pickens. 

All three coaches/scouts agreed Pickens' (6'3"/200) tape, talent and skills are easily top-five in the class. The problem is they all mentioned his maturity and willingness to put in the work. Analyst Marcus Mosher has said he has also heard whispers that Pickens' interviewed quite poorly in pre-draft meetings. That's an interesting wrinkle to the Pickens' story. Most thought the injury that kept him from playing much all in the college were the biggest red flags, but it seems to be his attitude that his holding him back. 

FWIW, I've heard the same thing about Pickens for a couple years now and he wasn't on our board because of it. I genuinely don't like talking about guys like this, I don't know them personally and it's mostly just "heard from a friend of a friend" kinda stuff. However, he, Isaiah Spiller, and Jameson Williams are guys I believe need to do some growing up and I don't particularly want to be the team hoping that they do. @Ragnarokreally did us a solid last year taking Kadarius Toney instead of Elijah Moore because I would not want to be in his shoes trying to figure out what's going on there.

I know people will call me bitter, but I'm super cold on Williams for a lot of reasons. He's a body catcher, he's inconsistent with his hands, and quite frankly, he can blame himself for landing in the OSU doghouse, because it wasn't for a lack of opportunities. He dropped a lot of passes, couldn't figure out how to read safeties and run correct routes, especially against zones, and he frankly wasn't as good as Wilson, Olave, or JSN.

Perhaps the change of scenery and playing for Saban helped him mature and he's now put together that talent that all of us knew he had all along, but I have MAJOR doubts.

I think him transferring from OSU was the best for both Ohio State and him, because JSN produced infinitely better as the #3 guy than Williams ever did or would have, and to go with his bad attitude (which seems to be contagious), he left town.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I know people will call me bitter, but I'm super cold on Williams for a lot of reasons. He's a body catcher, he's inconsistent with his hands, and quite frankly, he can blame himself for landing in the OSU doghouse, because it wasn't for a lack of opportunities. He dropped a lot of passes, couldn't figure out how to read safeties and run correct routes, especially against zones, and he frankly wasn't as good as Wilson, Olave, or JSN.

Perhaps the change of scenery and playing for Saban helped him mature and he's now put together that talent that all of us knew he had all along, but I have MAJOR doubts.

I think him transferring from OSU was the best for both Ohio State and him, because JSN produced infinitely better as the #3 guy than Williams ever did or would have, and to go with his bad attitude (which seems to be contagious), he left town.

Williams will be great. Especially in Anchorage surrounded by all that talent wooooheeee

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

Williams will be great. Especially in Anchorage surrounded by all that talent wooooheeee

Hopefully Williams has figured out accountability, how to work, and how to run consistent routes and use his hands, while making a full medical recovery. I wish him the best. He needs to put a bit more on that thin frame as well as add more than just "long speed" to his game at the next level, as in college you can absolutely be schemed into space more than in the NFL.

He runs poor routes and has a very limited route tree background at Alabama, which were part of his major struggles at OSU with focus drop issues/body drop issues and other work ethic red flags in his past before Alabama.  

If I was a team like KC, I'd roll the dice on him in the back end of the 1st Round. Those concerns are typical draft projection obstacles that he might overcome as time goes on, but thus far, those questions remain. 

4 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Jameson has the same exact drop percentage as Olave at 7.1% and 15 more receptions 

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-draft-is-ohio-states-chris-olave-too-good-for-the-dallas-cowboys-to-ignore-153444862.html?scrlybrkr=b43deb64#:~:text=From body control and ball,-lowest among 2022 prospects).

From body control and ball tracking skills to reliable hands and fast feet, Olave is a QB's best friend. He knows how to get open downfield and make big catches, as evidenced by a 4.7% career drop rate (third-lowest among 2022 prospects).

Aside from that being blatantly untrue, there are a few things I'd say here:

1. Olave isn't a perfect prospect. He will need to improve against press coverage, especially on the outside.

2. We drafted Olave as a value pick and I'd do it again. He was GREAT value.

3. Olave is a natural hand catcher with great film and arguably the most polished pure route runner in the class

4. He checked the athletic boxes at the combine

22 minutes ago, Blue said:

From Roto:

Between ARob's contract, Marquise having one year left, Aiyuk being the 3rd option, and Toney being in full wtf mode...I'm becoming more okay with the fact I took WRs at 10 and 16.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

Jameson has the same exact drop percentage as Olave at 7.1% and 15 more receptions 

Also from Hartline who isn’t as bitter as Mwil

Jameson, it’s well documented, he’s very explosive, can play at a high rate of speed the further he gets down the field. What I loved about Jamo is he always had so much energy; he was always available on the field, never really dinged up and always was a guy who brought juice in practice. Whether the ball was coming his way or not, he was one of those guys you wanted to have out there with you. … He became a great route runner. We spent so much time working on his route craft, and he believed in it so much, he was getting really good at it. So he’s not just a speed guy; he’s a route runner, too.”

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-draft-is-ohio-states-chris-olave-too-good-for-the-dallas-cowboys-to-ignore-153444862.html?scrlybrkr=b43deb64#:~:text=From body control and ball,-lowest among 2022 prospects).

Aside from that being blatantly untrue, there are a few things I'd say here:

1. Olave isn't a perfect prospect. He will need to improve against press coverage, especially on the outside.

2. We drafted Olave as a value pick and I'd do it again. He was GREAT value.

3. Olave is a natural hand catcher with great film and arguably the most polished pure route runner in the class

4. He checked the athletic boxes at the combine

Last season 7.1% I didn’t say career

5 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Last season 7.1% I didn’t say career

16 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Aside from the fact that:

A. Stats are kinda worthless otherwise the late great Colt Brennan would be the GOAT prospect

AND

B. You want to say "more receptions" while refusing to acknowledge the extra 4 games (SEC Title, NC Game) giving him 15 games to Olave's 11 is cute.

C. You didn't specify last season, you said "has". That's ambiguous at best.

I guess we could talk about who had more career productivity since stats apparently matter so much. :)