The other games thread week #17

Iron_man

On 1/2/2022 at 3:52 PM, Crimmage said:

I thought Chase would be good

I thought Chase was the best WR in the draft. it wasn't even close.  Now just picture someone like that playing for the Pats with Mac.  This draft doesn't have a Chase (generational talent) however there are WRs in this draft that would make Mac's job a whole lot easier and take our current guys to the next level.

I would love to see Jahon Dotson in a Pats uniform!!!😁

PS Based on the mocks the others WRs will be gone before the Pats pick, such as Jameson Williams.

Edited by m haynes

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

I thought Chase was the best WR in the draft. it wasn't even close.  Now just picture someone like that playing for the Pats with Mac.  This draft doesn't have a Chase (generational talent) however there are WRs in this draft that would make Mac's job a whole lot easier and take our current guys to the next level.

I would love to see Jahon Dotson in a Pats uniform!!!😁

PS Based on the mocks the others WRs will be gone before the Pats pick, such as Jameson Williams.

If the team didn't have such large holes at LB/CB I would agree with you, but it just seems so unlikely that BB would spend a first round pick on a WR. I think LB will be seen as the biggest need, they need a guy who can be left alone in space and not get exposed like Hightower / Bentley.. they need speed. 

Either way, I think you need to leave this draft with an impact CB, LB, and WR. I fully expect the WR to be the 3rd one picked though. I see a lot of great contested catches but not alot of burners in this draft outside the top 3 (Wilson/Williams/Dotson .. Olave is more quick than fast, but I'd still take him). The guy I have liked and want to watch more of this offseason is Wan'Dale Robinson. The guy is fast, is used all over the field and has special teams value. 

I believe they already have 47-48 contracts guaranteed for next season, so to me you need quality over quantity.. and you can get major quality in the second round this draft. ASSUMING a stud isn't available at the Pats 1st round pick ( Nakobe Dean / Ahmad Gardner / Stud OT) .. i think you trade out of the 1st and do everything you can to get 3 2nd round picks. Draft 3 guys in the 2nd then sit out till day 3 and get your developmental / special teams guys. 

2nd round guys to look at: 

• CB
    • Trent McDuffie, Washington
    • Roger McCreary, Auburn
    • Derion Kendrick, Clemson
    • Josh Jobe, Alabama
  • LB
    • Brandon Smith, Penn ( Loved what I've seen of this guy so far) 
    • Christian Harris, Alabama ( Alabama connection) 
    • Damone Clark, LSU
  • WR
    • John Metchie, Alabama
    • Wan'Dale Robinson, Kentucky (Speed, Versatility)
    • Jalen Tolbert, South Alabama

9 hours ago, Crimmage said:

If the team didn't have such large holes at LB/CB I would agree with you, but it just seems so unlikely that BB would spend a first round pick on a WR. I think LB will be seen as the biggest need, they need a guy who can be left alone in space and not get exposed like Hightower / Bentley.. they need speed. 

Either way, I think you need to leave this draft with an impact CB, LB, and WR. I fully expect the WR to be the 3rd one picked though. I see a lot of great contested catches but not alot of burners in this draft outside the top 3 (Wilson/Williams/Dotson .. Olave is more quick than fast, but I'd still take him). The guy I have liked and want to watch more of this offseason is Wan'Dale Robinson. The guy is fast, is used all over the field and has special teams value. 

I believe they already have 47-48 contracts guaranteed for next season, so to me you need quality over quantity.. and you can get major quality in the second round this draft. ASSUMING a stud isn't available at the Pats 1st round pick ( Nakobe Dean / Ahmad Gardner / Stud OT) .. i think you trade out of the 1st and do everything you can to get 3 2nd round picks. Draft 3 guys in the 2nd then sit out till day 3 and get your developmental / special teams guys. 

2nd round guys to look at: 

• CB
    • Trent McDuffie, Washington
    • Roger McCreary, Auburn
    • Derion Kendrick, Clemson
    • Josh Jobe, Alabama
  • LB
    • Brandon Smith, Penn ( Loved what I've seen of this guy so far) 
    • Christian Harris, Alabama ( Alabama connection) 
    • Damone Clark, LSU
  • WR
    • John Metchie, Alabama
    • Wan'Dale Robinson, Kentucky (Speed, Versatility)
    • Jalen Tolbert, South Alabama

Here some of the guys I like WR and LB

Alec Pierce 2021 Senior Season Highlights | Cincinnati Bearcats Wide Receiver |

NFL Draft Prospect Britain Covey Utah WR Small, holy crap he's pefect

Pat Mike Sainristil WR Mighagan small

Skyy Moore || Western Michigan WR - short blazing speed & qiuck

David Bell || Purdue Boilermakers Wide Receiver

Dontario Drummond Ole Miss WR slot, OLD crafty smooth bloks 7th

Wake Forest WR Jaquarii Roberson deep threat 6/7 RD

Calvin Austin lll WR, Tiny. explosive replace Gunner Wow!!! 6/7RD

Christian Watson Ndsu WR 6'5" fast

Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State 1:06

Erik Ezukanma 2020 Highlights | Texas Tech WR | 2022 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

Reggie Roberson SMU WR

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/players/george-pickens

John Metchie & Jameson Williams vs Roger McCreary (2021) | WR vs CB Matchup - YouTube

Chris Autman-Bell WR | MN blocks wow, tough      The end tape blocks and kills DBs  Hind Ward

justin ross wr clemsons.

LB

Mike Rose*, ILB/DE, Iowa State

Nolan Smith lb does his job can cover

Josh Ross -lb Michigan small tough smart

Jack Campbell LB | Iowa Football 6'5 6/7 Love Iowa play ST

Chad Muma Wyoming LB

Damone Clark LSU LB

Brandon Smith LB Penn ST big fast

Cincinnati LB Darrian Beavers MONSTER

Nolan Smith LB Do your job solid game.

Grant Morgan: lb arkansaas

Brandon Smith lb big and fast

I change the descriptions, added my comments.  Also my LB's are guy that fit,IMO the Pats size and system

EX  Nakobe Dean LB | Georgia  6'0"  225 lbs. Great player however I don't see the Pats picking him based on his size. Later in the draft size doesn't matter much for a guy that will play on ST.

ADDED  Pickens listed however I can't stand him.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, m haynes said:

EX  Nakobe Dean LB | Georgia  6'0"  225 lbs. Great player however I don't see the Pats picking him based on his size. Later in the draft size doesn't matter much for a guy that will play on ST.

For the most part I agree with you, BB likes his LB around 250 .. but we need to take a couple things into account: 

- Not many LB nowadays are that huge .. most are in the 220-230 range. I think only a few around 240. Micah Parsons I think was 240 and we all know BB would have LOVED to draft him. 

- Cam Mcgrone which they drafted last year and think highly of is in the 230's 

- Hightower / Bentley are their prototypical LB.. they are also the reason why their LB's have always struggled in coverage. You need some smaller, faster guys to help out 

- This team needs young, playmakers.. if you have the chance to get someone who makes plays, you've got to take them.. even if they are 10-15 pounds lighter than you'd usually draft. 

With all that said, Brandon Smith is currently my favorite for the Pats .. and he is around 240. He reiterates my thoughts that the early to mid 2nd round will be filled with great players in this draft. 

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

if you have the chance to get someone who makes plays, you've got to take them.

I can't disagree with you however I would assume BB would.  He wants LB to fill the gaps, so they have to have size. No matter how good they are, if they cant take the pounding they just don't fit his the style of play he looks for at LB.

IMO Dean would get run over playing that style or would last physically. The pounding would be to much.  That why my list has mostly guy with size, which is hard to find...I looked and the prospect are limited.

Two guys I wanted badly were Patrick Queen and Nick Bolton. Unfortunately there was no way BB would take them. To small.

ADDED  IMO BB would of pass on Mike Singletary coming out of the draft!!!!!😁

Edited by m haynes

3 minutes ago, IheartMyV8 said:

I'm curious to see how Mac works with incoming wideouts.  We know with TB12 was always more of a chore to get them integrated.

its hard to break the mindset that rookie WR's will not produce initially regardless of their talent level. 

It will be interesting to see if it was Brady's influence on their playing time or if it was indeed the coaching staff holding them back. 

11 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

If you want an elite WR you have to draft them or do what Buffalo did and trade for them

I'd rather take my chances in FA than trade for him. Who even is available via trade?

It's time Belichick hits on a WR in the draft though.

4 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I'd rather take my chances in FA than trade for him. Who even is available via trade?

It's time Belichick hits on a WR in the draft though.

"With the (whatever # pick) in the 2022 NFL draft, the New England Patriots select... Aaron Dobson II... 

Just now, IheartMyV8 said:

"With the (whatever # pick) in the 2022 NFL draft, the New England Patriots select... Aaron Dobson II... 

I don't think anyone in history has made worse top 2 round WR selections than Dobson and Harry, it's impossible.

I know we hate on Patriots WR picks.. but Aaron Dobson wasn't that bad. He had over 500 yards as a rookie, then wasn't he injured after that which ruined his career? Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought he was a similar situation to Malcolm Mitchell .. a guy who could have had at least a good career but it fell apart because of injuries. 

If we want to talk busts.. nobody was worse than Chad Jackson.. ( other than Harry)