What should the Texans do at Offensive Coordinator?

PAtexansFAN_99

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

But, he's probably keeping his job... because Easterby likes him.

I dono if I'm buying that Easterby is actually making any decisions aside from things like organizing transportation and food at this point. I honestly think that whole Easterby situation got blown way out of proportion. He never should have made personnel decisions, and he never will again, and I'm honestly glad he was around because I believe he had a lot to do with the Texans signing Caserio. But also, I believe Kelly was calling plays when Hyde went over 1,000 yards in 2019. Also, how  do I like posts? I can't figure it out lol

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I dono if I'm buying that Easterby is actually making any decisions aside from things like organizing transportation and food at this point. I honestly think that whole Easterby situation got blown way out of proportion. He never should have made personnel decisions, and he never will again, and I'm honestly glad he was around because I believe he had a lot to do with the Texans signing Caserio. But also, I believe Kelly was calling plays when Hyde went over 1,000 yards in 2019. Also, how  do I like posts? I can't figure it out lol

Click the little football looking outline down on the right hand side of the post you want to endorse / support / like.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I dono if I'm buying that Easterby is actually making any decisions aside from things like organizing transportation and food at this point. I honestly think that whole Easterby situation got blown way out of proportion. He never should have made personnel decisions, and he never will again, and I'm honestly glad he was around because I believe he had a lot to do with the Texans signing Caserio. 

Oh no, this is 100% false - the hiring of Culley's staff proves this, as Culley wasn't even inked when guys such as Lovie Smith and Pep Hamilton were hired. What sort of HC doesn't pick their staff?

Look at Dylan Thompson - he's the Co-chair of Easterby's charity and cites Easterby as his Mentor. Derek Rivers (a 3rd round bust) is on the roster after a year out of football - Easterby preceded over Rivers' wedding. 

Easterby has done a good job of insulating himself with lower targets to hit with Culley and Caserio, and he's went out of his way to purge people he didn't want and/or leaked information to the media (Amy Palcic, Jamey Rootes, Chris Olsen) as well as players who didn't buy in to his culture (Charles Ominehu, Zach Cunningham, Whitney Mercilius, Anthony Miller). 

Easterby has created a black box where no information gets out like it used to, but hearing literally every player who left saying things like "I feel like I'm out of prison" or "I can finally breathe" is very telling on who is running the show.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I believe Kelly was calling plays when Hyde went over 1,000 yards in 2019. 

BoB was calling plays until he was fired in 2020; He tried to step away in 2020, but went back to it in 2020 after the 0-3 start:

https://www.nfl.com/news/texans-change-how-they-call-plays-with-bill-o-brien-more-involved

Tim Kelly wasn't even a coordinator in 2019:

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/-bill-obrien-not-calling-the-plays-is-a-plus-for-the-texans-in-2020

The Texans' best move is head coach Bill O'Brien unplugging from the offensive side of the football and turning the keys and play-calling duties to first-year coordinator Tim Kelly. Add in new defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver. The Texans have two new coordinators for the first time during the O'Brien Era.

It will only be the second time during O'Brien's tenure that he will not call plays. The last time was during the 2015 season. 

Heard, my bad. I honestly didn't remember and Wiki'd it, Wiki says he was, I now understand why. But if that's the case about Easterby and he's the secret mastermind behind everything, and even Caserio is his puppet, then I don't think we'll ever succeed because I don't see him leaving especially if that were the case haha. But come on, Caserio is definitely the mastermind. He's the control freak. And honestly, he deserves to be and I'm fine with him playing that role.

Also, the little football only appears for  me if someone's already liked the post, and when  I click on that it just tells me who's liked it. I thought maybe I needed to be granted that privilege by a mod er sumn

Edited by PAtexansFAN_99
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 1:57 PM, Texansfan713 said:

WELCOME BACK!!!  Good to see an old timer post again.  Only need Blaze now. lol

Im going to make it short and sweet.  He should have been gone last season.  It would be stupid to bring him back after this season.  Our offense has actually gotten worse this season.  I know we dont have Watson at QB but the numbers our offense has is historically bad. 

Is he still active on twitter? I remember interreacting with him and seeing yall but haven't seen him pop up on my TL in a while. 

2 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Also, the little football only appears for  me if someone's already liked the post, and when  I click on that it just tells me who's liked it. I thought maybe I needed to be granted that privilege by a mod er sumn

I think - as a "new" member - it takes a while before you can issue out footballs. It's to avoid spamming them to other people and then leaving, etc. I'll check to make sure.

2 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

But come on, Caserio is definitely the mastermind. He's the control freak. And honestly, he deserves to be and I'm fine with him playing that role.

I'm changing my tune on Caserio - I'm not the BIGGEST fan of him, but his first draft class looks like a solid double - but if what you're saying is true, then Caserio created close to $25mm in dead cap with the following moves:

- Trading Shaq Lawson to NYJ before the season ($6mm dead cap for 2022).

- Cutting Whitney Mercilius ($7mm dead cap).

- Cutting Zach Cunningham ($12mm dead cap).

Now, I don't disagree with the moves in the sense they were bad players - and the Lawson trade is 100% Caserio, he could have just cut Bernardrick McKinney and taken on no cap hit, but he tried to make something out of nothing and it didn't work.

But... Cunningham and Mercilius, cut midseason, AFTER renegotiating their deals to push money into 2022/2023? It just seems as if these were reactionary cuts, proving a point at the literal expense of next season.

If this WAS Caserio, he's no different than Bill O'Brien as a GM, making a decision based on emotion and with no regard to what impact it would have to the future. You don't take on $25mm dead cap in a year where you have 25+ guys on the final year of their contract and will have to use every bit of cap to get to a 53 man roster.

This is probably the main reason why I think Caserio is working with heavy influence from Easterby - some of these moves lack foresight, they're being made by somebody who is not pragmatic enough to think about 2, 3, 4, 5 years down the line and letting emotions drive decisions, not logic.

Lack of pragmatism and emotional decision making is why the Texans gave up everything for Laremy Tunsil and traded away DeAndre Hopkins for nothing. What person in the building right now was co-GM for those two moves?

Easterby.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Easterby.

Fine, Easterby lol.

Alright, so assuming we're moving on from Kelly, is everyone dead set on promoting Hamilton to that position or are there any other coaches around the league who you think we might consider? I've heard Mike Kafka from KC might be a top OC candidate this offseason?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Fine, Easterby lol.

Alright, so assuming we're moving on from Kelly, is everyone dead set on promoting Hamilton to that position or are there any other coaches around the league who you think we might consider? I've heard Mike Kafka from KC might be a top OC candidate this offseason?

As I stated earlier - I don't think Kelly is going anywhere, but I'll entertain it.

I'm good with Pep Hamilton getting the OC gig, and finding someone to become the "run game coordinator" much like how Pep is the passing game coordinator - who that could be is up for discussion, but I could be convinced James Campen (with some actual OL at his disposal).

As far as outside of the organization - I think Kafka might be a hot commodity to Dallas, who is assuredly losing Kellen Moore to a HC gig (he's also probably next up in KC if Eric Bienemey gets his shot during this cycle). Kafka would probably choose the Dallas gig over Houston, simply because he's going to have so much more to build his resume with over with the Cowboys.

I'd honestly consider a guy like Zac Robinson (Rams QB coach) or Thomas Brown (Rams RB coach) as an OC - Robinson has been hands on with Matt Stafford and his resurrection, and Brown had to really get the most out of guys like Darrell Henderson and Sony Michel after Cam Akers blew out his ankle. Robinson was a former backup QB in New England, so Caserio should be familiar with him.

5 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I.hate.it.here.

Please let the Jags hire Bo'OB and he brings TK with him

Our organizational decisions are a lot like our running game - run right into a wall of stupid and hope to gain an inch, but really end up losing two yards.

Replacing Pep Hamilton with Josh McCown will be the equivalent of running a WR screen on 3rd and 25.

• Like 2

I really wish I’m wrong and maybe I’m just naive, but I think TK is gone. 

The Culley quote really is a nothing burger to me, because what is Culley supposed to say there? He’s just trying to stop any speculation from happening in the last week of the year (even though it will happen regardless of what he says).

Culley is also in no position to make a decision, he is a front man for Caserio and Caserio will decide if they need a new OC. 

Well after Culley's comments that Kelly is 100% back I am a little surprised. I was hoping to see Pep promoted to OC if any change was made, but keeping them both Kelly and Pep is ok to me too (possible that Pep could get poached eg: if Harbaugh goes to Raiders). To me the reason that you keep Kelly is the same reason that you keep Culley. We will not be contending next season. This is a critical stage of development for Mills and we should want them to try keep things around him as stable as possible whilst improving the talent. 

Looking around the league good OC's don't grow on trees. Godsey is Miami's OC.... Godsey. Those were the worst Texans offenses and he's holding a positon down with the Dolphins. If Kelly wasn't retained last offseason then he would be and OC somewhere else right now. I remember Tennessee was keen to nab him and I somehow think he would've found a way to run the ball there. I'm not trying to say Kelly is great but if its for the sake of developing a young QB then I'm willing to give him another year. 

I would love for someone to be added as run game coordinator to this staff to help Kelly out in that way. I've been saying that everything will be better once we get the run game sorted. New RB, Improved OL, inline TE,  and more weapons at WR. All needs and looking forward to a busy offseason.