Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

You have to let the season play out with Donatell at the helm.  There's nothing to be gained by firing him at this point.  The only way he's fired right now is if he goes John DeFilippo on the bit.  I have no issue with making the change after the season (with potentially Pettine moving into the position at that time).  

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

You have to let the season play out with Donatell at the helm.  There's nothing to be gained by firing him at this point.  The only way he's fired right now is if he goes John DeFilippo on the bit.  I have no issue with making the change after the season (with potentially Pettine moving into the position at that time).  

But just letting him remain the DC is irresponsible. I don’t really care about respect at this point.  It’s not de-humanizing him to let him go.  He hasn’t given us a respectful defense, so why do teams feel like they HAVE to keep crappy coaches, regardless of how bad they’ve been? 

I don’t understand waiting until next season to make a move when you know that this defense can’t sustain you in the in the playoffs? Try something.  Anything at this point. You don’t even have to be good.  Just be average. 

A 10-3 record says something. Even if you didn’t expect this team to be that good, that’s not an excuse. They are good, and to just keep the coach here out of some misplaced sense of professionalism is an error. 

2 minutes ago, Morlee said:

But just letting him remain the DC is irresponsible. I don’t really care about respect at this point.  It’s not de-humanizing him to let him go.  He hasn’t given us a respectful defense, so why do teams feel like they HAVE to keep crappy coaches, regardless of how bad they’ve been? 

I don’t understand waiting until next season to make a move when you know that this defense can’t sustain you in the in the playoffs? Try something.  Anything at this point. You don’t even have to be good.  Just be average. 

A 10-3 record says something. Even if you didn’t expect this team to be that good, that’s not an excuse. They are good, and to just keep the coach here out of some misplaced sense of professionalism is an error. 

You also have to read the room.  There's the risk that you lose the locker-room (and potentially even the coaches room) by firing him when you're 10-3.  Now that may not happen, but it has to be taken into consideration.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I don't see any way he's fired during the year. The real test will be the off season. Do they suck we the 3-4, even with Hunter here? If so, is he worth more in trade?

This is the closest I've been ever to saying that they should consider trading him (to a team that runs a 4-3), for his own benefit and theirs.  They may not get peak value, but he'll turn 29 in the middle of the season next year, and that would open a spot for Jones or Wonnum to start full-time, who seem to have taken to it better than he has.

Edited by swede700

22 minutes ago, Morlee said:

Installing a new DC midseason would be a terrible idea. the defense isn't going to become immediately better, and you run the risk of making it worse. The only time where it's reasonable is if a team's season is already lost. Make the adjustments that you can in season, and figure out what to do long term in the offseason. 

• Like 1

Ed Donatell was a key part of designing game plans for Vic Fangio. I simply can’t believe that he doesn’t know how to put together a solid game plan. But, Fangio was always the play caller. Which is where I feel the issue lies on game day with Donatell. 

Is the a pathway that the team could move playcalling duties during the game to Mike Pettine, while leaving Donatell in his preparation role? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Do not trade Hunter. He's productive, the scheme can change to utilize more of his strengths, and he's got a reasonable cap number. Unless they are getting a 1st plus, which I don't see anyone offering, he's worth more here than elsewhere.

I would be shocked if they can't get a first plus, easy. I'd rather they keep him, and play to his strengths, but we are how many weeks into not doing that with their best or second best defender?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Do not trade Hunter. He's productive, the scheme can change to utilize more of his strengths, and he's got a reasonable cap number. Unless they are getting a 1st plus, which I don't see anyone offering, he's worth more here than elsewhere.

While I don't deny any of that, he will be entering the final year of his deal after next season (the last 2 years void) and I'm not confident that he will want to play in this scheme beyond next year.  While his cap number is reasonable (~$13M), for a team that may need cap space to increase talent on the defensive side of the ball and has adequate talent at his position to replace him, he might be the most tradeable piece to free up some of that (they'd have to designate it as a post-6/1 trade).  

Edited by swede700

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I would be shocked if they can't get a first plus, easy. I'd rather they keep him, and play to his strengths, but we are how many weeks into not doing that with their best or second best defender?

He's only got 1 year left on his deal and would cost us at least 10m in dead cap for 2 years.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

He's only got 1 year left on his deal and would cost us at least 10m in dead cap for 2 years.

And? They aren't winning the championship with this roster and coaching, and have almost no draft capital. At some point, you bite the bullet. As I said, is rather keep him. But if they can't generate a pass rush with him and Smith.....

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

And? They aren't winning the championship with this roster and coaching, and have almost no draft capital. At some point, you bite the bullet. As I said, is rather keep him. But if they can't generate a pass rush with him and Smith.....

Who is giving up a 1st+ for a guy with 1 year left and multiple season ending injuries?