Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

We know the Vikings will have some cap limitations, so our free agency signings will likely be value guys who will hopefully be above replacement-level. Adding some speed to the LB corps would help. We need a real starter along the D-Line to pair with Phillips and Tomlinson. Blacklock, Lynch and Bullard are best served as rotational pieces. Otomewo could get some run, but I think he's probably another year away. 

Depending on Cine's availability, we might leave the secondary alone. Between Peterson, Dantzler, Booth, Shelley, Evans, Smith, Bynum, and Cine, they might see if the young guys can develop more. I think, if anything, we'd add a slot corner. With only 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks, I expect there will be a lot of movement to recuperate a few selections. If they were to stay in those spots, I think they would definitely focus on defense. Outside of Bradbury, the offense is still going to be solid.  

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

We know the Vikings will have some cap limitations, so our free agency signings will likely be value guys who will hopefully be above replacement-level. Adding some speed to the LB corps would help. We need a real starter along the D-Line to pair with Phillips and Tomlinson. Blacklock, Lynch and Bullard are best served as rotational pieces. Otomewo could get some run, but I think he's probably another year away. 

Depending on Cine's availability, we might leave the secondary alone. Between Peterson, Dantzler, Booth, Shelley, Evans, Smith, Bynum, and Cine, they might see if the young guys can develop more. I think, if anything, we'd add a slot corner. With only 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks, I expect there will be a lot of movement to recuperate a few selections. If they were to stay in those spots, I think they would definitely focus on defense. Outside of Bradbury, the offense is still going to be solid.  

We have the worst pass defense in the NFL I highly doubt we'll be leaving the secondary alone.

Thielen, Cook, Kendricks, Smith will need to take pay cuts / get cut / restructure and with that money I can see us aggressively attacking corner in FA and in the 1st in the draft. 

If we go into next season with Dantzler, Shelly, Sullivan as options to start at corner we're in trouble

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, viking said:

If we go into next season with Dantzler, Shelly, Sullivan as options to start at corner we're in trouble

I don't think that's necessarily true, but be prepared for not getting a big splash FA corner this offseason because

1. Vikings will be cap limited

2. The free agents aren't that amazing this offseason

something that is manageable is bringing PP back for boundary 1; Shelley back but taking over for Sullivan in the slot; and Dantzler, Booth, and Evans competing on the outside. Maybe either another draft pick or value fa to compete.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

He need help up front. That will help us in the pass Defense department by setting up more 3rd and longs. 

I think that’s a part of it - they don’t have consistent interior pressure. 

but watch that video - the coverage breakdowns and bad pre snap communication/adjustments is something that can be fixed now. Not entirely, but enough to make a difference. Bynum, Sullivan, Hicks, and Dantzler should all be way better at this than they are by week 17. How many times a game do we see Peterson and Smith throw their arms up in frustration because these guys aren’t adjusting. 

if they can stop giving up the explosive plays on blown coverages, you can love with the personnel issues or scheme predictability. It can’t be all three.

Akayleb Evans@AkaylebEvans

My only focus now is getting back on that field. Unfinished business.

Placed on injured reserve following the Week 13 victory over the New York Jets, Evans is required to sit out at least four games. That would make him eligible to return for Minnesota’s final regular season game against the Chicago Bears.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/general-news/vikings-defense-could

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Akayleb Evans@AkaylebEvans

My only focus now is getting back on that field. Unfinished business.

Placed on injured reserve following the Week 13 victory over the New York Jets, Evans is required to sit out at least four games. That would make him eligible to return for Minnesota’s final regular season game against the Chicago Bears.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/general-news/vikings-defense-could

Evans has looked like he belongs. I’m excited to see the jump he makes next season. 

• Like 2