Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

You also have to read the room.  There's the risk that you lose the locker-room (and potentially even the coaches room) by firing him when you're 10-3.  Now that may not happen, but it has to be taken into consideration.    

Maybe my way of thinking isn’t the majority, but that’s pretty outlandish to me. If the team can’t continue to come together and play well because you terminated the employment of a coach that was not producing a defense that you hired him to bring to the table, then maybe those players should read the room themselves. 

If this type of move cause ls friction; when all you’re trying to do is what’s best for the team and their pursuit of a championship, then decisions about the team as a whole, and the coaching need serious adjustments in the offseason.  

So I agree that installing a brand new DC with a new game plan is a bad idea at this point in time. But it isn’t a bad idea to hand over the job to someone that has been there all season.  

Show that you’re determined to win this season and believe in this 10-3 team. Don’t just let a failing DC flounder because feelings might get hurt.  That can’t continue to be a point of emphasis. 

12 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

You have Hunter and Smith and can't get pressure? That's the coaching. 100 percent. 

Smith has basically been playing on one healthy leg for a month, so he doesn't have the explosion he had earlier in the year.  I personally would sit him for at least a week, especially after the division is clinched.    

20 minutes ago, Morlee said:

Maybe my way of thinking isn’t the majority, but that’s pretty outlandish to me. If the team can’t continue to come together and play well because you terminated the employment of a coach that was not producing a defense that you hired him to bring to the table, then maybe those players should read the room themselves. 

If this type of move cause ls friction; when all you’re trying to do is what’s best for the team and their pursuit of a championship, then decisions about the team as a whole, and the coaching need serious adjustments in the offseason.  

So I agree that installing a brand new DC with a new game plan is a bad idea at this point in time. But it isn’t a bad idea to hand over the job to someone that has been there all season.  

Show that you’re determined to win this season and believe in this 10-3 team. Don’t just let a failing DC flounder because feelings might get hurt.  That can’t continue to be a point of emphasis. 

It's a people thing.  You never know how people are going to react.  I personally don't think that should happen, but we've seen plenty of "schisms" in the past.  Maybe they'd double down in their effort, but maybe they wouldn't.  This has been a very cohesive locker-room, moreso than we've seen in the past.   

Upsetting the apple cart just to upset it late in the season isn't usually a wise move, especially when you have a rookie head coach.  If it works, yes, he'd be called brilliant and fore-sighted, but if it fails, then that's the sign of a guy who may have a trigger-finger and doesn't bode well for his long-term success (as the only time that it worked out for the HC was the Ravens' situation, otherwise, no other HC has ever lasted more than 2 years). 

I just think if you're going to make a change (which is probably likely), you wait until after the season to do it at this point.  Unless there's a guarantee that Pettine can do a better job within the current scheme (because that wouldn't change at all), I don't think there's much of a chance that anything would change significantly.

Edited by swede700

I mean... he's right. Guys are not communicating and are slow to react. The play calls can be more aggressive, but that also means there's more of an opportunity for guys that have been getting burned to keep getting burned. I think Cam Bynum is a fine back up, but he's not a long term starter, IMO. Dealing with a carousel of CBs has hurt communication wise, too.

My biggest gripe is putting Hunter and Smith in space to cover, and playing off/soft coverage. Beyond that, the players have to do a better job. 

• Like 2

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think early in ZImmer's tenure, he too had an issue with some of the guys (notably the CBs) for playing too far off in coverage and it took them awhile to start tightening it up.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Fair point from Seifert.  Wasn't it just a couple of months ago Donatell was saying it takes players about a month to get comfortable in a new scheme?  This is December.  Hunter is still doing mostly well (at least according to PFF) but if he's still not comfortable, something should have been changed by now.  This is why I think likely Danielle will likely have to be moved in the offseason for the best deal that can be had.  The scheme doesn't suit him and the scheme is probably not going to be as effective as it can be with him in it.