Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

The Vikings’ defense likely needs to improve overall. Is there anything they’re doing in the fourth quarter that they can copy earlier in games? Apparently not. Seth says the underlying data does not indicate that they are playing different schematically in the fourth quarter. Ed Donatell’s blitz percentages and coverage distributions are nearly identical in the first three quarters as during crunch time.

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/why-are-the-vikings-so-good-in-the-fourth-quarter

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

That's interesting. The theory that Donatell's defense is more suited from stopping desparation plays certainly seems plausible. But it also means that we need to get out to bigger leads to avoid getting shredded. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

That's interesting. The theory that Donatell's defense is more suited from stopping desparation plays certainly seems plausible. But it also means that we need to get out to bigger leads to avoid getting shredded. 

more td's, less fg's.

• Like 2

Harrison Smith got Sunday’s game against the New York Jets started with a bang for the Minnesota Vikings defense. On the New York Jets opening drive, the Vikings veteran safety recorded his 34th career interception, meaning Smith has more interceptions than any active NFL player.

The 34th INT for the 33-year-old safety broke a tie with New England Patriots cornerback Devin McCourty for the top of the active players’ list. McCourty at 35 years of age continues to perform at a high level as well for New England with a pair of INTs this season.

Smith’s interception was the fifth of his 2022 season, which is tied for second-most in the NFL this season. He’s tied with rookie CB Tariq Woolen, who has been a big surprise for the Seattle Seahawks in his first NFL season. The league leader in picks is C.J. Gardner-Johnson, who has six for the Eagles this year.

Smith remains fifth on the Vikings franchise list for most interceptions by a single player. Here’s how that list breaks down now:

• Paul Krause (53)
  • Bobby Bryant (51)
  • Ed Shrockman (40)
  • Joey Browner (37)
  • Harrison Smith (34)
  • Nate Wright (31)

https://purpleptsd.com/2022/vikings/top_news/harrison-smith-has-more-interceptions/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

When I look at this roster, there is no way, with the quality of our defensive personnel, that we shouldn't be ranked higher.  Would we be better off going back to a 4-3 defense?  Or is the 3-4 fine if we were more aggressive?  What do you all think?

The 3-4 is just fine, and probably easier to build on. It’s the first year in a new scheme, with essentially the same group of players as the previous year. I’m not really sure what some were expecting from the defense this year? 

• Like 1

I am not really concerned about the defensive rankings. I would take this year‘s defense over last year‘s defense any day of the week. And certainly every Sunday. The thing that I see as the most important is that we have not been giving up so many points at the end of each half. That has been the major difference. I think we would all like to see them be more dominant, but we simply do not have the personnel on the defensive line yet. Not to mention that some of those big names are getting older.

I suspect we will find some personnel that fit the scheme better during the off-season. I would expect to see a big improvement next season.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The 3-4 is just fine, and probably easier to build on. It’s the first year in a new scheme, with essentially the same group of players as the previous year. I’m not really sure what some were expecting from the defense this year? 

But last year, we had Hunter for just a few games.  This year, we have Hunter and Za'Darius Smith, who have both played well, in addition to last years contributers on defense.  Yet, we are 31st in yards given up.  It's just my opinion that we should be substantially higher in the defensive rankings with all of the talent we have on defense.  I mean, it's not as though the cupboard is bare, right?

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

We were expecting them to not be terrible.  I don’t know anyone that expected them to be great, or good even. Average? Maybe sometimes above average since veterans like Smith, Hunter, and Peterson are still reliable  

Thought maybe they would trade out the aging linebackers for faster and more youthful corp. Judging by this year, I’d rather deal with the rookie woes that come with that, than continue to witness what we have on the field these days. 

At least those are my thoughts.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Morlee said:

We were expecting them to not be terrible.  I don’t know anyone that expected them to be great, or good even. Average? Maybe sometimes above average since veterans like Smith, Hunter, and Peterson are still reliable  

According to FootballOutsiders, they are average...ranked #18 overall in DVOA.  Yes, their pass DVOA isn't great at #24, but I think people need to stop looking at pass yards against, net yards against or whatever random statistic they are using to judge the defense.  They are #4 in turnovers and for all the yards they've given up through the air, they've given up the 15th least number of TDs through the air (10th most on the ground).  They've committed the 7th most penalties by yards on defense, but the 10th least 1st downs by penalties.  They're inconsistent, but they are the best when they need to be, as the mantra has gone.  I don't think we should really have expected a lot.  They've actually outperformed what I expected because of their situational prowess.  

• Like 1