Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

I do think Hunter hasn't naturally transitioned to the 3-4 as much as we would like.  I doubt he would ask for a trade at this point, but if he still isn't comfortable with it going into next year, there is that potential, since that'll essentially be the last year of his deal, as he has 2 void years after next.  In addition, his dead cap number right now is way too high for the team to even entertain the idea even if he had mentioned it.  Wonnum has clearly taken to it better than Danielle has, but Danielle has the far higher potential in it, so it has to be given time.  Hell, I'm not even comfortable watching the 3-4 defense, because I haven't watched the Vikings playing it since I was about 9 years old, so I have to give myself time too.  🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

It looks like it hasn't been fixed yet...

Yeah, outside of Tomlinson and Za'Darius, the pass rush has been pretty pedestrian. Wonnum has had a few pressures, but Hunter seems lost in this. Although playing him in coverage sure doesn't help.

Defensive Coordinator Ed Donatell and Defensive Backs Coach Daronte Jones have been encouraging the defense to take chances at the ball when it can.

Harrison Smith: "One thing we touch on on a daily basis starting from Ed down to Daronte and all the other coaches who talk about getting the ball and taking a shot when you can, I don't know if that's exactly the time to take it, but as you're tackling, if you're tackling at the ball level, sometimes good things happen."

https://www.vikings.com/news/harrison-smith-patrick-peterson-key-takeaways-fuel-defense-week-6

As the Vikings head into the bye week with a 5-1 record, Harrison Smith said he knows there's work to do, but he feels the defense is heading in the right direction.

Smith: "I think we're trending the right way. We can obviously finish a little better there at the end and not make it like, 'Oh, we've got to get the onside kick.' We can tighten things up, like we said, we still haven't played as well as we can but we're trending. We're a scrappy bunch, we play with a lot of energy, camaraderie, those are things that are going to consistently keep going."

https://www.vikings.com/news/harrison-smith-patrick-peterson-key-takeaways-fuel-defense-week-6

• Like 1

11th in points allowed

8th in 3rd down percentage

7th in sacks

5th in takeaways

This team doesn’t have the talent on the defensive side of the ball to be a lock down, shut down defense. But they are playing smart, and they are making plays when it matters most. Yards allowed is a meaningless stat if it doesn’t lead to points, and right now the yards allowed to the opponents aren’t leading to a significant amount of points. 

It’s a true bend, but don’t break defense that should see gradual improvement as the season goes on, and the players get more and more comfortable in the new scheme. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

11th in points allowed

8th in 3rd down percentage

7th in sacks

5th in takeaways

This team doesn’t have the talent on the defensive side of the ball to be a lock down, shut down defense. But they are playing smart, and they are making plays when it matters most. Yards allowed is a meaningless stat if it doesn’t lead to points, and right now the yards allowed to the opponents aren’t leading to a significant amount of points. 

It’s a true bend, but don’t break defense that should see gradual improvement as the season goes on, and the players get more and more comfortable in the new scheme. 

Still concerned since we’ve played Justin Fields, Andy Dalton, Teddy/Thompson, and the Rodgers (who’s clearly struggling with these young receivers). Even Goff nearly beat us and had a good game. Honestly, we haven’t faced any worthwhile QBs outside of Hurts and he had a field day. I know it’s hard to win in the NFL but we’ve been incredibly fortunate with the QBs we’ve had to face to start the year.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

It feels like the players are playing well individually, but the scheme just allows for the middle of the field to be wide open. Shades of Leslie Frazier. 

Case in point:

Edited by JDBrocks