Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

36 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Akayleb Evans@AkaylebEvans

My only focus now is getting back on that field. Unfinished business.

Placed on injured reserve following the Week 13 victory over the New York Jets, Evans is required to sit out at least four games. That would make him eligible to return for Minnesota’s final regular season game against the Chicago Bears.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/general-news/vikings-defense-could

We’ll need his depth in that last week and the playoffs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I’m just really hoping we unleash a different (aggressive) defence in the playoffs, and we’re holding back right now, not showing too much film on it.  While still going for #1-#2 seed. 

Sure maybe throw in a few wrinkles but to completely change your approach and philosophy in the post season, after being so bland all regular season seems like a stretch. I wouldn’t expect the defense to fundamentally change. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Sure maybe throw in a few wrinkles but to completely change your approach and philosophy in the post season, after being so bland all regular season seems like a stretch. I wouldn’t expect the defense to fundamentally change. 

I’m not looking for fundamental changes, but asking for 5-7% more aggressive/blitz defence is not a crazy stretch-ask. Saying different was too far i agree 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Who are some possible replacements for Donatell? Because I simply can’t envision a scenario where he’s back next season?

Do they move Pettine into Donatell’s role?

Do they find a young up and comer?

Would be interested in seeing what happens to Staley in LA, Saleh in NY and Vrabel in TN. Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh could force some interesting coaching changes.

Edited by vikingsrule

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Would be interested in seeing what happens to Staley in LA, Saleh in NY and Vrabel in TN. Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh could force some interesting coaching changes.

I doubt anything happens to them. 

The name I’m keeping a close eye on is Denver’s DC, Ejiro Evero. He’s done a good job in Denver, and he was with O’Connell in LA.

If he’s not retained by the next HC, he’d likely be #1 on my list. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Why would anything happen to Staley?  Staley has 10 wins and the Chargers are a playoff team. 

Just now, swede700 said:

Why would anything happen to Staley?  Staley has 10 wins and the Chargers are a playoff team. 

As mentioned, who knows what happens with Payton and Harbaugh and if Staley doesn’t do anything in the playoffs, would they consider moving on for Harbaugh or Payton? 

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

As mentioned, who knows what happens with Payton and Harbaugh and if Staley doesn’t do anything in the playoffs, would they consider moving on for Harbaugh or Payton? 

I can't imagine they would.  I mean they did fire a HC that went 14-2, but I don't think they'd make that same mistake again.  Especially when they are just making the playoffs for the first time in 4 yrs and only the 3rd time in 14 yrs.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I can't imagine they would.  I mean they did fire a HC that went 14-2, but I don't think they'd make that same mistake again.  Especially when they are just making the playoffs for the first time in 4 yrs and only the 3rd time in 14 yrs.  

But with someone like Herbert, maybe they feel there should be more. Who knows really but Staley is on the top of my list as potential DCs if available. Only downside is he’s obviously going to be a one and done type as he’s still very young and very likely to get another HC gig. But maybe that’s enough to transform the defense, give it an identity and bring in some other impressive defensive coaches. I get the appeal of bringing in an older guy who’s not likely to get a HC gig but I’ve soured on that approach with Donatell.