2022 Off-season. I did lots of typing.

LETSGOBROWNIES

2022 Off-season 

Cut

Juice: I love a lot of what he brings, but he’s a slot only guy with no top end speed.  You simply can’t pay 15 million for that skill set. No dead money.

Hooper: Post June 1st  he saves 9.5 with a 3.75 dead cap.  Bad deal by AB, it’s time to get out of it.

Conklin: I’d obviously rather he continue playing here, but if he’s actually done, 3 million dead cap with 12 million in savings.

Keenum: 1.3 dead cap, saves 6.5.  We’re not going to play him unless the QB is on his deathbed, so use the cash elsewhere.

Cutting those guys costs us about 8 million in dead cap and saves us about 43 million (net).

Let walk

Malik Jackson, Ronnie Harrison, Hubbard, Higgins, Malcolm Smith: none of these guys move the needle or are simply not worth investing more time and resources into developing.  

Resign (all contract numbers based on Spotrac/Over The Cap projections if available)

Ward: 5/94.  You can’t let elite players at premium positions walk.  Simply can’t.

Njoku: He’s not great, but he’s a starting caliber player imo and one of the few guys who could be confused with a weapon at times. 4 years/28 million 

Clowney: Can’t let him walk. I think they have him undervalued at like 9 million, so I’d go so far as something like 1/16.

MJ Stewart: Looks like a versatile piece that could be our FS. 2 years/6 million.

D’Earnest: 2nd round tender, 3.4 million/1 year.  A lot for a 3rd RB, but he’s been solid af when called upon and this offense starts and ends with the run game.  No reason to let him walk.

Anthony Walker: not an ideal starter, but a decent depth player.  Same deal as last year 1/3 million.

Colquitt: league minimum 

The kicker: league minimum.

McDowell: whatever ERFA contract he’s due 

Free Agents

WR DJ Chark: 4/48.  Not going to be anyone’s ideal signing, but if we’re being honest the top guys aren’t going to come here, so we overpay for a decent #2 who can stretch the field.

DT Tim Settle: Underrated player buried on a deep DL.  Would be an instant upgrade over Jackson.  Still young at just 24 and adds some needed size inside while still being a capable rusher.  4/24 million

Obviously they’d need to sign a rando here or there, but that’s all I’m really looking for in FA.  Not a fan of spending a ton on guys who produced on other teams in other schemes (See the list of guys I’ve got us cutting if you’re wondering why).

Draft

R1: Garrett Wilson.  Because tOSU prospect and FF Browns forum, name a more iconic duo.  He’s everything we need at WR.

R2: Travon Walker, DE; Even with Garrett and Clowney we still need another pass rusher.  Dude is a physical specimen.

R3: Zion Nelson, G.  Three year starter at LT and just turned 21.  He moves inside for us (I’ll get to that in a bit).

R4: Darrian Beavers, LB: Not what I’d honestly expect our FO to do, but he can play inside/outside and on the edge.  Zaven Collins/Simmons type of player.  Could add versatility we currently don’t have.

R4: Jelani Woods: Huge TE who was productive in the pass game.  

R5: Tre Sterling, S: Keeping adding talent at S 

R6: no clue

R7: some dude.  Preferably a good one.

The plan: Offense 

Roll with Baker year 5 and see how that plays out.

Return all 3 talented backs.

Woods becomes the 2nd/3rd TE and Njoku is the starter with Hooper gone.

Chark and Wilson are the starters, DPJ is your 3rd.  Schwartz is the deep threat.  Felton becomes your slot/gadget guy.

The OL is where things change up a bit. At this point I’m ready to move Bitonio to LT and Wills to RT. Tackle play was an issue all season, and it can’t continue. Nelson takes over at LG with Teller obv at RG.  I chose to keep Tretter one more year as he’s still effective and we’d be starting a rookie next to him.

The plan: Defense

The secondary remains unchanged with just the addition of Sterling as a depth player. 

Id like to see Beavers, Phillips and JOK as the 3 primary LBs with Fields, Takitaki, and Walker as the reserves.

At DT Settle and McDowell and hopefully either Elliot or Togiai develop a bit.

DE starters are unchanged, but Walker takes Takk’s role and then some. Beavers can take some reps here as well if they wanted to, but I would never expect a Browns DC to be that creative.

The plan: Teams (they’re not special)

Bring back the kicker as he’s fine.  Cleveland is a tricky place to kick and other than Dawson everyone else has been different versions of the same dude.  Meh.

Colquitt isn’t great, but he’s a reliable vet.  He’s not gotten to lose us games.

Returner: Hopefully Felton can figure things out.

Ok chumps, have at it.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

2022 Off-season 

Cut

Juice: I love a lot of what he brings, but he’s a slot only guy with no top end speed.  You simply can’t pay 15 million for that skill set. No dead money.

Hooper: Post June 1st  he saves 9.5 with a 3.75 dead cap.  Bad deal by AB, it’s time to get out of it.

Conklin: I’d obviously rather he continue playing here, but if he’s actually done, 3 million dead cap with 12 million in savings.

Keenum: 1.3 dead cap, saves 6.5.  We’re not going to play him unless the QB is on his deathbed, so use the cash elsewhere.

Agreed with all of this. My darkhorse trade or cut potential is Tretter. I'm not saying that I would or we should, but I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised if the FO thinks Harris is the dude. It saves us money and we can allocate that to Ward and Clowney too. They have shown how much they love moving that money around when they free it up.

Cutting those guys costs us about 8 million in dead cap and saves us about 43 million (net).

Flirty Reaction GIF

Let walk

Malik Jackson, Ronnie Harrison, Hubbard, Higgins, Malcolm Smith: none of these guys move the needle or are simply not worth investing more time and resources into developing.  

Low key M.J. Stewart is a million times better than Ronnie and was everything we hoped and expected him to be. Higgins has somehow managed to anger 3 separate HC's and he can't separate vs. man coverage.

Resign (all contract numbers based on Spotrac/Over The Cap projections if available)

Ward: 5/94.  You can’t let elite players at premium positions walk.  Simply can’t.

All in. Pro Bowler, our draft pick, elite production, young, elite positional value.

Njoku: He’s not great, but he’s a starting caliber player imo and one of the few guys who could be confused with a weapon at times. 4 years/28 million 

I don't hate this and I don't love it. I'm completely lukewarm on him.

Clowney: Can’t let him walk. I think they have him undervalued at like 9 million, so I’d go so far as something like 1/16.

They need to re-sign him or Franchise Tag him IMO

MJ Stewart: Looks like a versatile piece that could be our FS. 2 years/6 million.

I'm all in on MJ as well. He can be a hybrid or box safety with JJ3, and Delpit can be our FS, or else you go opposite with those two. Regardless, that's a capable trio. Combined with Hill and Greedy, that gives us massive Nickel, Dime, Big Nickel/Big Dime potential, even with multiple TE's on the field. That's rare.

D’Earnest: 2nd round tender, 3.4 million/1 year.  A lot for a 3rd RB, but he’s been solid af when called upon and this offense starts and ends with the run game.  No reason to let him walk.

Again, pay the guys who produce. He has and deserves it, and he's a good player.

Anthony Walker: not an ideal starter, but a decent depth player.  Same deal as last year 1/3 million.

I'm completely indifferent to him either way.

Colquitt yes, but can we please fix or find average kicker value here? Our kicking game has been bad. I'd just like average.

YES

Free Agents

WR DJ Chark: 4/48.  Not going to be anyone’s ideal signing, but if we’re being honest the top guys aren’t going to come here, so we overpay for a decent #2 who can stretch the field.

As long as we go WR early in the first, he's a fine #2.

DT Tim Settle: Underrated player buried on a deep DL.  Would be an instant upgrade over Jackson.  Still young at just 24 and adds some needed size inside while still being a capable rusher.  4/24 million

I wanted Settle a few years ago. He'd be a nice compliment to McDowell too.

Obviously they’d need to sign a rando here or there, but that’s all I’m really looking for in FA.  Not a fan of spending a ton on guys who produced on other teams in other schemes (See the list of guys I’ve got us cutting if you’re wondering why).

A swing OT would be nice, even if Bitonio moves to LT and Wills goes to RT. If you don't swing Bitonio, you legit need a solid starter at either spot.

Draft

R1: Garrett Wilson.  Because tOSU prospect and FF Browns forum, name a more iconic duo.  He’s everything we need at WR.

You at me at tOSU (He's also my #2 WR behind Burks)

R2: Travon Walker, DE; Even with Garrett and Clowney we still need another pass rusher.  Dude is a physical specimen.

Great measurables to match the production, good pick IMO

R3: Zion Nelson, G.  Three year starter at LT and just turned 21.  He moves inside for us (I’ll get to that in a bit).

No idea who this is, but sure. I also would consider doubling up at WR if Ross or Metchie is available.

R4: Darrian Beavers, LB: Not what I’d honestly expect our FO to do, but he can play inside/outside and on the edge.  Zaven Collins/Simmons type of player.  Could add versatility we currently don’t have.

I like him because his head coach played for and coached at OSU, so...yeah. (I like Cincinnati's scheme though)

Sure, we need a 3rd TE and maybe he develops.

He plays for a different OSU, I'm in.

BPA from Ohio State

BPA from Ohio State

As long as we bring in SOMEONE to push him if there isn't a better option out there, sure. I can't see us bringing him back with Mullins and nobody else, injury or not.

YES

What about Harrison Bryant?

Chark and Wilson are the starters, DPJ is your 3rd.  Schwartz is the deep threat.  Felton becomes your slot/gadget guy.

Definitely. TBH if they doubled up at WR, one of those guys might even be your 4, Schwartz is your deep threat and gadget guy, and Felton competes for a roster spot.

The OL is where things change up a bit. At this point I’m ready to move Bitonio to LT and Wills to RT. Tackle play was an issue all season, and it can’t continue. Nelson takes over at LG with Teller obv at RG.  I chose to keep Tretter one more year as he’s still effective and we’d be starting a rookie next to him.

Got it, so you did decide to do it and that's where I am too...but Tretter vs. Harris still intrigues me.

The secondary remains unchanged with just the addition of Sterling as a depth player. 

Great. Him vs. LeCounte for a roster spot.

Id like to see Beavers, Phillips and JOK as the 3 primary LBs with Fields, Takitaki, and Walker as the reserves.

I'd like to see Phillips leave and think he sucks, but he was hurt so give him a 3rd year. I think he's a JAG and I don't see Fields ever physically being anything but he's a decent special teamer.

Perfect. Elliot is in "put up or shut up" territory for me in 2022.

DE starters are unchanged, but Walker takes Takk’s role and then some. Beavers can take some reps here as well if they wanted to, but I would never expect a Browns DC to be that creative.

LOL. Woods showed me some stuff from personnel rotations in the secondary down the stretch. If he can do it in the Front 7, he'll have me completely sold going forward.

Bring back the kicker as he’s fine.  Cleveland is a tricky place to kick and other than Dawson everyone else has been different versions of the same dude.  Meh.

Colquitt isn’t great, but he’s a reliable vet.  He’s not gotten to lose us games.

Ok chumps, have at it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Low key M.J. Stewart is a million times better than Ronnie and was everything we hoped and expected him to be.

And he was drafted and has played a lot of corner.  Don’t necessarily want him there, but guys get injured and stuff happens so that kind of versatility is nice.

Higgins has somehow managed to anger 3 separate HC's and he can't separate vs. man coverage.

Yeah he’s done well for himself and played here a while, but it’s time.

I don't hate this and I don't love it. I'm completely lukewarm on him.

I’m in the same boat, I just don’t see an obvious improvement and am not a huge fan of UFA.

Again, pay the guys who produce

This has to be step 1 of the plan every time.

A swing OT would be nice, even if Bitonio moves to LT and Wills goes to RT. If you don't swing Bitonio, you legit need a solid starter at either spot.

The G I mocked in R3 is actually a LT who will likely be drafted as a tackle.  I just moved him inside as it’s an easier transition.  He could kick out if needed to tackle I’d imagine, so he was kind of my 3rd tackle plan.

No idea who this is, but sure. I also would consider doubling up at WR if Ross or Metchie is available.

I’m definitely not opposed to doubling up at WR, but I’m not sure the FO will invest that much in that position at the expense of other positions.

I like him because his head coach played for and coached at OSU, so...yeah. (I like Cincinnati's scheme though)

He’s a Colerain kid too iirc.

BPA from Ohio State

BPA from Ohio State

This was one thought, as was a FB and kicker.  Maybe a fullback and kicker from OSU and I might have hit FF mock perfection.

As long as we bring in SOMEONE to push him if there isn't a better option out there, sure. I can't see us bringing him back with Mullins and nobody else, injury or not.

I don’t think anyone we can find day 3 or FA scrap heap pushes him any more than the $200 million contract extension he’s angling for.

If he does suck, it’s over, play Mullens who is meh and get ready for QB prospect discussions in October.

What about Harrison Bryant?

He’d be the other TE.  Him, the rookie and Njoku.

Got it, so you did decide to do it and that's where I am too...but Tretter vs. Harris still intrigues me.

It does me as well.  I’d wish they play him Sunday and get a larger sample size to make that decision though.  It’s hard to be confident in any player after 1 game.

Great. Him vs. LeCounte for a roster spot.

I could see both making it with how we play.  Delpit, JJIII, Stewart, LeCounte, and Sterling.  5 safeties for a team that play 3 most of the time.

I'd like to see Phillips leave and think he sucks, but he was hurt so give him a 3rd year. I think he's a JAG

This was more of an assumption based on how the FO feels about him after taking him relatively high. He’s shown nothing, but no one other than JOK has either.

and I don't see Fields ever physically being anything but he's a decent special teamer.

He was hurt a lot this year and is pretty rangy.  I’m not holding my breath, but I can hope lol 

Perfect. Elliot is in "put up or shut up" territory for me in 2022.

Yeah, he’s approaching that spot pretty quickly.  He’s playing and in the rotation and such, but I just haven’t seen anything from him at all.

LOL. Woods showed me some stuff from personnel rotations in the secondary down the stretch. If he can do it in the Front 7, he'll have me completely sold going forward.

Completely agree.  I know the seem to have their preferred physical profile at each position, but they need to be more open minded with some players.  I’m 100% Beavers to end up in Pitt, Baltimore or NE and look like a stud. Or maybe KK and the Cardinals just keep trying to collect the whole set.

• Like 1

I liked it....a LOT of Tough cuts.....I might want to hang onto Concklin...but if your saying make Bintonio the LT and Move Willis to RT, that becomes interesting.....

There is also the thought of Moving Hudson to G.....I am working on my Offseason also..........and the Apple of my eye is getting Allen Robinson here, but DJ Charke is my Alternate to him....Might have added a little more help at WR in the draft...I want to OVERHAUL the entire WR position...in my offseason (posted soon) our new WR Corps is 6 deeps with 4 new faces...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I liked it....a LOT of Tough cuts.....I might want to hang onto Concklin...but if your saying make Bintonio the LT and Move Willis to RT, that becomes interesting.....

I want Conklin too, but his injury is possibly a career ender.  If he was back and healthy I probably cut Tretter instead.

There is also the thought of Moving Hudson to G.....

Absolutely, and that’s where I think he’s best served.  I don’t see a tackle, or at least don’t right now.

I am working on my Offseason also..........and the Apple of my eye is getting Allen Robinson here,

Robinson would absolutely be preferable, I just don’t know if those top shelf dudes would actually play here in this scheme that’s going to limit their targets.

but DJ Charke is my Alternate to him....Might have added a little more help at WR in the draft...I want to OVERHAUL the entire WR position...in my offseason (posted soon) our new WR Corps is 6 deeps with 4 new faces...

I’m not opposed to that lol, we’ve got some scrubs.

52 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Completely agree.  I know the seem to have their preferred physical profile at each position, but they need to be more open minded with some players.  I’m 100% Beavers to end up in Pitt, Baltimore or NE and look like a stud.

GIF by Giphy QA

I think it would be really frustrating to watch MJ Stewart on the field for an extended period of time.  He settled in a bit in that role as the season went on, but there's still so many times between this year and last that I thought he looked completely lost.  I like that he's a willing tackler though.

I also don't think Felton has it as a returner, the vision isn't there.  I think he should dedicate himself full time to the slot honestly.

I'm iffy on doing the Wills and Bitonio move.  I'm not ready to give up on him at LT, and I'm also not certain moving him to the other side of the line is going to fix his suckage after he spent his first 2 seasons changing his footwork to play LT.  Also that bum ankle that we kept playing him early on in the season makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Other than that I think that would be a strong off-season.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I think it would be really frustrating to watch MJ Stewart on the field for an extended period of time.  He settled in a bit in that role as the season went on, but there's still so many times between this year and last that I thought he looked completely lost.  I like that he's a willing tackler though.

he’s no stud by any means, but I think he’s fine as a 6th-8th DB who can probably play both safety spots and corner.

I also don't think Felton has it as a returner, the vision isn't there.  I think he should dedicate himself full time to the slot honestly.

if I’m being totally honest I don’t give af about returners.  No one is a game breaker there and I’m happy if they just fair catch it.  I’d also like to have seen him get more carries through the year.  But yeah, just work on being the slot guy.

I'm iffy on doing the Wills and Bitonio move.  I'm not ready to give up on him at LT, and I'm also not certain moving him to the other side of the line is going to fix his suckage after he spent his first 2 seasons changing his footwork to play LT.  Also that bum ankle that we kept playing him early on in the season makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Other than that I think that would be a strong off-season.

My thought in flipping him wasn’t to fix LT, but to fix both tackles. If Conklin is indeed done, that’s a huge hole.  Wills just happens to have years of experience playing RT.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

2022 Off-season 

Cut

Let walk

Free Agents

Draft

Ok chumps, have at it.

nonwordsmithian...i stopped at the word cut

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Probably best case scenario tbh 

Honestly I am not an Njoku fan, so I wouldn't be mad if we replaced him with a FA or draft pick....but I could see keeping him

The FA's and picks fill needs and appear to be realistic and good value.

I still go back and forth with wanting Nakobe Dean or Garrett Wilson....I don't think we can go wrong with either!  Obviously if it was Dean, a WR would need to be picked in the 2nd imho.

The moving of Bitonio to LT intrigues me...It would be interesting to see if he could be consistently good there, and would Willis seamlessly go back to RT?  If that was the case, I would imagine finding a Guard in FA or the draft, that is familiar with the scheme, shouldn't be hard to find.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Honestly I am not an Njoku fan, so I wouldn't be mad if we replaced him with a FA or draft pick....but I could see keeping him

I don’t love him either, but it’s a matter of not creating new holes to fill more than anything.

The FA's and picks fill needs and appear to be realistic and good value.

Episode 8 Nbc GIF by Will & Grace

I still go back and forth with wanting Nakobe Dean or Garrett Wilson....I don't think we can go wrong with either!  Obviously if it was Dean, a WR would need to be picked in the 2nd imho.

Yeah there are dozen or more dudes who would improve this team a lot. You can never go wrong adding good players, and Dean is one of them.

The moving of Bitonio to LT intrigues me...It would be interesting to see if he could be consistently good there, and would Willis seamlessly go back to RT?  If that was the case, I would imagine finding a Guard in FA or the draft, that is familiar with the scheme, shouldn't be hard to find.

That was my thinking, it would be easier to find a LG than a quality RT.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1