Steelers GM Kevin Colbert expected to step down

Forge

5 hours ago, Trojan said:

I think he's a cultural non-fit in Jacksonville like a better version of Coughlin and Marrone. I don't think the Jaguars could deal with a tough love coach at this point. They just need someone like Pederson or Caldwell. I think Harbaugh (lol with Balke) would also be a bad fit. The only two I could see other than Pederson and Caldwell is bring back Hackett or Leftwich for a first time offensive mind with a players coach personality and ties to the team. 

Wait...did someone just describe Mike Tomlin as a "tough love" type of coach and compare him to Tom Coughlin...?

4 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Wait...did someone just describe Mike Tomlin as a "tough love" type of coach and compare him to Tom Coughlin...?

I think he relates to his players much more than Coughlin or Marrone, but I view him as the kind that would drill you hard if you lag behind the standard. I don't doubt he is a hell of a teacher, but on a spectrum of like Coughlin/Marrone/Harbaugh to Caldwell/Pederson/Hackett I'd have him more towards the tough love crowd. Caldwell seems calm and nice, Pederson seems like be-your-friend-dad, and Hackett is goofy. Tomlin seems like the dad you have to have impressed to have him be cool around you and will make you do push ups when you messed up but it's for the best type.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:13 AM, Trojan said:

I think he relates to his players much more than Coughlin or Marrone, but I view him as the kind that would drill you hard if you lag behind the standard. I don't doubt he is a hell of a teacher, but on a spectrum of like Coughlin/Marrone/Harbaugh to Caldwell/Pederson/Hackett I'd have him more towards the tough love crowd. Caldwell seems calm and nice, Pederson seems like be-your-friend-dad, and Hackett is goofy. Tomlin seems like the dad you have to have impressed to have him be cool around you and will make you do push ups when you messed up but it's for the best type.

Tomlin is an enabler who will "ground" certain "children" for breaking a glass, but wont do a thing when certain children burn the house down.

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Tomlin is an enabler who will "ground" certain "children" for breaking a glass, but wont do a thing when certain children burn the house down.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more rumblings about Tomlin considering the Steelers lack of playoff success for the past decade.

The Steelers have gone to the playoffs 7/10 years and their playoff struggles since 2010 have been well documented 

He's a great HC but with a 'retool' coming post-Ben and the GM stepping down--i wonder if they would consider doing a complete makeover