Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

17 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

He's straight up lying. 

I have to agree with this. I’m not sure how truthful he is being about being willing to accept that contract. I think it was the right move to let Mathieu leave.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Former 1st rounder that never lived up to the hype…should be fresh! Though I’ll admit, didn’t think he was that old, guess that means I’m getting old.

No worries, I was just attempting humor on a Friday 😉. Agreed on getting old!

32 minutes ago, kempus said:

I have to agree with this. I’m not sure how truthful he is being about being willing to accept that contract. I think it was the right move to let Mathieu leave.

I just think he just overshot his value.   He gave his agent a figure that was out of line with anything Veach wanted to offer.   We went with the guy willing to be reasonable.   And now Mathieu is realizing no one wants to pay him what he wanted.

Dont get me wrong,  huge fan of Mathieu but his attitude got old last year and he may not admit it,  but he for sure made some contract decisions on tackles last year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kempus said:

I mean he said he wouldve accepted it after figuring out that he wasnt getting more lol.

• Like 1

Schefter is a hack, but that’s besides the point.

Bringing in a Houston/Ingram makes a lot of sense regardless of how we draft because those guys are pros, the type of guy you want your young guys to learn from.  Campbell would certainly have got that mold as well, and again done nothing but created more flexibility in the draft.

i do think Mathieu is hurt, and regardless of where the offer came in, the fact that we didn’t offer I think is where his real hurt stems from.  I know others have said we didn’t want to disrespect with a low offer etc, who knows, but I could certainly see a guy who has felt slighted by other teams feel that way by not even being offered.

Houston and Ingram are exactly the sort of short term veterans needed to help draft picks learn the ropes. Sign one or both but understand it's termporary. 

Mathieu played this to the max, but he was aware that the Chiefs could not pay him like they would a young player. So, here comes a much younger player, who takes a deal for a lot less money, and TM is beating his chest and saying he would have taken the pay cut. Sorry, but it's crocodile tears. 

3 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Schefter is a hack, but that’s besides the point.

i do think Mathieu is hurt, and regardless of where the offer came in, the fact that we didn’t offer I think is where his real hurt stems from.  I know others have said we didn’t want to disrespect with a low offer etc, who knows, but I could certainly see a guy who has felt slighted by other teams feel that way by not even being offered.

Yeah its pretty rough we didnt make an offer supposedly. But i think Veach/Reid are not a fan of his talking to the fans on twitter, or his own admission of losing a step because of contract concerns. Now teams see recent tape of an undersized, slowing down safety on tape who makes business decisions. People dont pay big bucks for that.

A collection of "expert" opinions of our first round picks.

Player & Position School Source
EDGE Arnold Ebiketie Penn State Charles Goldman – Chiefs Wire
WR Christian Watson North Dakota State Luke Easterling – Draft Wire
WR George Pickens Georgia Mark Schofield – Touchdown Wire
 WR Jameson Williams (Trade) Alabama Chad Reuter – NFL.com
WR Treylon Burks Arkansas Chris Trapasso – CBS Sports
OT Tyler Smith Tulsa Aaron Wilson – Pro Football Network
WR Christian Watson North Dakota State  Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz – USA TODAY
EDGE Boye Mafe Minnesota Charles Davis – NFL.com
WR John Metchie III Alabama David Dorey – The Huddle
CB Kyler Gordon Washington Anthony Treash – PFF.com

Player & Position School Source
WR Skyy Moore Western Michigan Charles Goldman – Chiefs Wire
EDGE George Karlaftis Purdue Luke Easterling – Draft Wire
EDGE Boye Mafe Minnesota Mark Schofield – Touchdown Wire
WR Jameson Williams (Trade) Alabama Chad Reuter – NFL.com
EDGE Cameron Thomas San Diego State Chris Trapasso – CBS Sports
DL Logan Hall Houston Aaron Wilson – Pro Football Network
EDGE Arnold Ebiketie Penn State  Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz – USA TODAY
WR Christian Watson North Dakota State Charles Davis – NFL.com
CB Andrew Booth Jr. Clemson David Dorey – The Huddle
EDGE Travon Walker Georgia Anthony Treash – PFF.com

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Or miss out on an elite playmaker

its a roll of the dice

yeah. I prefer a more sure thing. 2 first rd. picks with the chance of hitting on both. Burks/WR and Winfrey/DT is a more sure thing IMO than Williams who may not be able to contribute until year 2.

I think there is just as a good chance of trading back to a team that wants a QB. A 1st round pick gets a 5 year contract vs 4 years for 2nd round. That's worth something and Detroit is sitting at #32. It's a real question as to where the 3rd QB gets taken but #29 or #30 seem reasonable.

By the chart, #29 + #30 will get #8. More realistic is that #29 and #50 will get #16 with change back. The Chargers are at #17.

J