Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

On 4/14/2022 at 12:56 PM, EMAW_KSU said:

Kelce, Gray and Fortson certainly don’t strike fear into opposition for their blocking prowess.  They do alright in the open field, but I wouldn’t consider any of them a strong in line blocker.

Remember we might actually have to commit to thinking about possibly considering to run the ball…as an option…

I mean theyre good blockers still, i have zero interest in out TEs ability to instill fear based on their blocking ability. Id rather they instill fear because of their ability to catch insane passes and get wide open. 

Andy Reid is still HC, so run blocking and stuff isnt a huge concern. Get back to me on that when he retires.

Edited by Chiefer

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Andy Reid is still HC, so run blocking and stuff isnt a huge concern. Get back to me on that when he retires.

Did you not catch my sarcasm? I laid it on there pretty thick.  Just trying to think of reasons we spent so many visits on TE.

40 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Consider the player. Jones is worthy of a 1st.rd. pick. Witness the Senior Bowl and week leading up to it. We also need Dline help. He's like a Dontari Poe but different.

I don’t know that Poe ever really lived up to his draft status.  I like Jones, but if he’s the only player we come out of round one with unless we get a haul for the other picks we’re going out team this year a disservice.

14 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I don’t know that Poe ever really lived up to his draft status.  I like Jones, but if he’s the only player we come out of round one with unless we get a haul for the other picks we’re going out team this year a disservice.

I like the trade back for #30. There's  a ton of talent out there before and after our #50

10 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I like the trade back for #30. There's  a ton of talent out there before and after our #50

I don’t love or hate a trade back.  I don’t like it if we take a DT unless we get great value.  But again, right now we have zero idea of how the draft plays out to that point.

If we still have #30, it's a likely trade back spot. Teams like premium position players in the first round because of the extra year on the contract. With Detroit sitting at #32, teams wanting a QB in the first round would have motivation to move up. 

I do not see us spending both #29 and #30 to trade up unless it's for an Edge, say Travon Walker lasts to #11. #29 and #50 are much more likely because it puts us right in the middle of the round, ie #15 or #16 which is conincidentally just before the Chargers at #17. Adding a 3rd or a 3rd and a 4th could move us up 5-8 picks.

Moving back from #30 is target rich. The Jags, the Jets, the Giants, the Texans, the Seahawks all have high 2nd round picks, not to mention the Lions who sit at #32 and #34. 

Not related, the team has set a record for off-season turnover. If there was aany doubt that this was a transition year, that should quash it.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_set_record_for_offseason_talent_turnover/s1_17001_37405718

40 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Not related, the team has set a record for off-season turnover. If there was aany doubt that this was a transition year, that should quash it.

It’s going to be different for sure.  Hopefully not going into the season as the favorite helps motivate our guys to do and play better.

Our draft needs to be very successful, and preferably with some day one contributors. We’ve swung and missed on a couple free agents which could give some insight into either where we see priority needs being or harder places to evaluate.

7 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The main point is that the team is targetting 2023 not 2022. This year is for redesign and retool. If we are good enough, great, but the point is to be better in 2023. 

J

This was inevitable at some point, too. I feel like many of us have discussed this around here, that at some point we would have to pick a year, stop pushing Mahomes's deal down the road, and just recover the cap space naturally a little bit. I figured it would happen when the team no longer felt paying Hill and Kelce were good propositions, one of those two just came sooner than expected, I think.

The nice thing is, Mahomes means we'll always be a threat. Even if it's a down year for overall roster talent, the right run from him in the postseason is all it would take in the end. A draft like last year's would have a dramatic impact as well. My real hope is that even if we have less talent this coming season, we just use the talent we have better than we did last year. Last year was not the best coaching job this staff has had. Maybe the worst offense, or least consistent anyway, that they've put out there relative to the talent level. The OL, the RBs, and every WR but Hill was probably misused at least a little bit last year. If they do a better job using the run blocking we have, and use Juju/MVS/Hardman better than we used last year's corp, that could offset some of the talent loss.

But one year can really reset the cap narrative very quickly. Took one year for the Pats post-Brady to go from cap hell to the most active player in free agency last year. Pending any further signings, we may very well enter next year with the most cap space in the division, with OBJ (pending extension) and Thornhill as the only big UFAs. If the cap hits the $230Mish that has been rumored before, we could have a good $50M going into next year (prior to our rookie deals, I suppose.) A $20M option to cut Clark. A $30M option if they want to go back all in with Mahomes restructures. Another $20M if you want to extend Jones, $27M if he gets the Hill treatment.

I think there's still more they can do this year if they want, before the draft flexibility, and the fact that we have more cap space remaining than other contenders if we want to go after the aging guys left on the market waiting for their post-draft 1 year deals. But I'd also be fine with one year we don't go all-in in exchange for some more capital next offseason.

35 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Pending any further signings, we may very well enter next year with the most cap space in the division, with OBJ (pending extension) and Thornhill as the only big UFAs

I’d add Juju, Hardman, Wharton, and Fenton to that list. They aren’t all marquee names, but they play significant roles.

We also only have 22 players under contract right now in 2023. Obviously the draft will add to that. But even then, thats ~50mil to split between 20-30ish players before making any other moves.

So I think we still have one more year of turnover barring guys taking incredibly team friendly deals/extensions. 

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I’d add Juju, Hardman, Wharton, and Fenton to that list. They aren’t all marquee names, but they play significant roles.

We also only have 22 players under contract right now in 2023. Obviously the draft will add to that. But even then, thats ~50mil to split between 20-30ish players before making any other moves.

So I think we still have one more year of turnover barring guys taking incredibly team friendly deals/extensions. 

Wharton is an RFA. Along with about 29 other guys on roster. Having only 22 on roster for 2023 at this stage isn't terribly unusual (I swear, this comes up every year.) You'll have the draft picks, UDFAs, and then all the restricted guys. Perhaps I should've said expensive instead of important, though. Wharton and Fenton won't be pricey. Juju and Hardman, depends on what they do this year. But next year will be a year we can retain literally everyone if we want, and I'd argue that hasn't been the case (without SEVERE shenanigans) in recent years.

If we lose anyone major next year, it'll be because we choose to move on from either OBJ or Chris Jones, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I swear, this comes up every year.

I’ve been talking about it for a year or two. But specifically I’ve referred to the 2022 and 2023 off seasons due to the top heavy contracts. Losing Hill helped on that regard. But I don’t think it’ll be an issue in 2024+ assuming Veach isn’t paying top dollar for free agents. My biggest concern has always been about being able to have quality depth.