• Dolphins
    • Giants
    • Jaguars
    • Raiders
    • Vikings
    • Texans*
    • Panthers*

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

Nick won’t like this as Kevin was the one who came over to Philly with him on the plane when he was hired. He’s really close to Patullo and thinks highly of him, but he didn’t make him our OC. He was gonna be the one who controlled HC duties if Nick had to end up missing that game with COVID.

20 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Nick won’t like this as Kevin was the one who came over to Philly with him on the plane when he was hired. He’s really close to Patullo and thinks highly of him, but he didn’t make him our OC. He was gonna be the one who controlled HC duties if Nick had to end up missing that game with COVID.

Curious if Nick can get him to stay if they are that close.

6 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

So who are we hoping they hire? Flores?

Edit: Who would put a worse staff together between Frazier and Flores?

Flores would put together a worse staff, I’d be shocked if Frazier would ever lead them anywhere though. Good guy and coach, but  always took him as the Pat Shurmur of defensive coaches.

Basically the Belichick tree vs the Andy tree they’d each be drawing from. Andy’s tree is way better.

Could see a Frazier/Nagy combo, which scares no one.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Flores would put together a worse staff, I’d be shocked if Frazier would ever lead them anywhere though. Good guy and coach, but  always took him as the Pat Shurmur of defensive coaches.

Basically the Belichick tree vs the Andy tree they’d each be drawing from. Andy’s tree is way better.

Could see a Frazier/Nagy combo, which scares no one.

Yeah, Flores was my thought for putting the worse staff together as he had like 4 offensive coordinators and 3 or 4 offensive line coaches in his 4 years in Miami.

You’re probably right about Flores having the better shot at a job, but Schoen did just come from working with Frazier. 

The worst thing that could happen is they hire Daboll and run it back with Jones, then draft a stud QB next year.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

How come?

If I invested my future in a young QB I would want to pair that young QB with an offensive minded/QB type head coach - not a defensive coordinator. I've said it before, I am very much of the mindset that you need an offensive coach to succeed. I don't think hiring a defensive minded coach in today's NFL is beneficial for anyone. 

Edited by Scalamania

3 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

If I invested my future in a young QB I would want to pair that young QB with an offensive minded/QB type head coach - not a defensive coordinator. I've said it before, I am very much of the mindset that you need an offensive coach to succeed. I don't think hiring a defensive minded coach in today's NFL is beneficial for anyone. 

Bolded is how I usually think and how the Eagles organization does as well as evident by every hire since Any Reid.

But, I don't think a defensive coach can't work. We saw it work well with McDermott, but they went out and got him a toolsy QB and gave Allen time to go through his lumps and develop and provided him with the necessary weapons as well. Obviously Belichick is the greatest example of a defensive coach working out and again they had Brady surrounded by a great defense and were able to let him come along as a late round QB.

It's basically as Brett says it comes down to how he builds out his staff.

The thing ultimately that I don't like with signing a defensive coach is I think its harder to replace a great OC than it is a DC, so even if you get the right OC if he does pretty well at all he'll be a prime candidate for a HC job in a year or two.