2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

10 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

funny story, i just checked williams scouting report on nfl.com.  check the comp...haha

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jameson-williams/32005749-4c34-4909-bc5e-bde59d1a8826

Haha. I get it. I mean on the surface it would appear he can only win on deep routes using his speed, which is pretty much Fuller. But I think Williams can do more than that. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think Williams is a lot better and a more complete WR than Fuller. Not a fan of that comparison.

Wasn’t a comparison, as much as it was a floor for the type of player he’ll be. He averaged 20yds/rec last season, so you’re relying on the eye test to project how skills translate.

For comparison, Waddle is built entirely different and plays with much more physicality. Smith was more of a finesse guy than straight-line speed. Both Cooper and Jeudy were special route runners. What about williams makes you think he’ll be more than a deep threat?

Edited by NJC33

7 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Wasn’t a comparison, as much as it was a floor for the type of player he’ll be. He averaged 20yds/rec last season, so you’re relying on the eye test to project how skills translate.

For comparison, Waddle is built entirely different and plays with much more physicality. Smith was more of a finesse guy than straight-line speed. Both Cooper and Jeudy were special route runners. What about williams makes you think he’ll be more than a deep threat?

I think his route running is underrated. I think his hands are underrated. I think his YAC is underrated. I stated on an earlier post today that people don't talk about his toughness. In fact he has the reputation if anything as not being tough. I watched early in last season, him as the new face at Bama as a gunner at there. Guys who aren't tough aren't gunners. If a WR is scared to get hit or mix it up... they're not trying to tackle SEC returners and face multiple blocks. It also shows he was able to put his nose down and work. That he knew he wasn't just given the starting WR role at Bama. He had to earn it. So he has competitiveness. 

And obviously his speed is elite. It's not good or great it's elite. That will always still be his go to quality... but he has a full toolbox of tools. He's not a 1 trick pony.

If his ACL is healing and he's feeling good. There's really no reason he shouldn't be the best WR from this class. 

4 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Interesting, don’t see the Moore comparison, but will watch more of him.

I’m sold on his ability to stretch the field vertically, not necessarily his versatility. Question whether or not his speed translates laterally, in a quick hit motion. Frame is worrisome, physically he looks like Will Fuller to me. That doesn’t typically translate multidimensionally. Other concern would be body catching. All generally more questions I’d want answered, as opposed to definite weaknesses I’m attributing to him.

My questions relate to role/potential — If he can excel out of the slot, somewhat unconventionally like Hill (my ideal scenario) … I’d love the pick. Maybe he’s a stretch-x (would have to be physical enough to beat press), who can rotate with Moore as a movable-z... great. Floor/worry would be taking a straight-line, Fuller/Marquise Brown type threat. You can a lot worse, just not what I’d want at 10.

EDIT: FWIW don’t want to purport the sense I’m an expert on his game. Didn’t watch much college football last year. I’ve checked out some highlights and read tidbits, but will have more of my own opinion before the draft.

Davis plays X, Moore plays Slot, Williams plays Z but you can move Moore and Williams around to create match up advantages. 

19 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Davis plays X, Moore plays Slot, Williams plays Z but you can move Moore and Williams around to create match up advantages. 

Was thinking beyond this season, but yea ultimately how it would shake out. I like Moore outside, which is why I value a guy with versatility so he’s not stuck in the slot. This works. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think his route running is underrated. I think his hands are underrated. I think his YAC is underrated. I stated on an earlier post today that people don't talk about his toughness. In fact he has the reputation if anything as not being tough. I watched early in last season, him as the new face at Bama as a gunner at there. Guys who aren't tough aren't gunners. If a WR is scared to get hit or mix it up... they're not trying to tackle SEC returners and face multiple blocks. It also shows he was able to put his nose down and work. That he knew he wasn't just given the starting WR role at Bama. He had to earn it. So he has competitiveness. 

And obviously his speed is elite. It's not good or great it's elite. That will always still be his go to quality... but he has a full toolbox of tools. He's not a 1 trick pony.

If his ACL is healing and he's feeling good. There's really no reason he shouldn't be the best WR from this class. 

Like the gunner note, seems like he’s got a good head on his shoulder. That always counts. 

You guys cannot go years asking for a weapon for our QB and then turn your cheek at Jameson Williams who would be clear and away WR1 in this draft without his injury the national championship game. You take him at 10 and reap the benefits. But I’ve been on that train for a while, I’m just concerned Douglas doesn’t see it the same way.