2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

He is being very underrated. That boy can play and plays hard every snap.

I’m leaning toward that if Kayvon is gone by 4 us drafting him. Numbers don’t pop… but I believe he was 2nd in the nation in QB hits.

On 3/31/2022 at 9:49 AM, Bobby816 said:

I'd love for us to go OL in the mid rounds. Guys I like are...

IOL: Lindstrom, West, Parham

OT: Faalele, Smith and Walker

RB I'd like a better piece than Coleman back there as depth to carter long term so I like Robinson, Spiller, Price and White

WR I'll throw in here even though I think we address it early.

Pierce, Ross, Roberson, Drummond are guys I like in those mid rounds. 

Love the LB class in the mid rounds as well so I'd like guys like...

Tindall, Chenal, Anderson, Clark, Jackson

At S I like Smoke Monday in those mid rounds the best.

I'll leave out DE bc I imagine we draft one at 4 or 10.

At CB I like Bryant, Jobe and Evans in those mid rounds

And DT I like Peevy, Hinton and Uwazurike

@KingOfNewYorkI'll add in Hassan Haskins RB, Otito Ogbonnia DT, Verone McKinley/Kerby Joseph/Yusuf Corker S

Really think OO and Corker can develop into starters for us and I believe both were at the Sr. Bowl.

I would love a combo of Joseph round 3 and then either Smoke Monday or Yusuf Corker round 4-5.

17 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m leaning toward that if Kayvon is gone by 4 us drafting him. Numbers don’t pop… but I believe he was 2nd in the nation in QB hits.

He'll be a good player but I see him similar to Walker.  I'd rather have JJ who is strong and a good run defender but can still beat guys on the edge.  GK isn't beating guys with speed or off the edge a ton.

21 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

He'll be a good player but I see him similar to Walker.  I'd rather have JJ who is strong and a good run defender but can still beat guys on the edge.  GK isn't beating guys with speed or off the edge a ton.

He’s Walker with actual production. I hate the risk of Walker 

On 4/1/2022 at 11:19 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

Safe pick isn't always the best pick. There's almost zero difference between a CB trio of Reed/Hall/Carter and Reed/Gardner/Carter. MIght even be worse since Gardner will have a learning curve against NFL receivers, you know Corner is a bit of a learning curve, its the 2nd hardest position to play in the NFL. Not saying Sauce will have trouble but you get the point. 

At 4 if Hutch and KT are gone you try like hell to trade down or you go with your EDGE3 if he's high enough on your board. If he's your 9th or 10th guy then obviously not but if he's top 3 on your board with our need there you take him. 

Agreed that CB is a tough transition, but since we are building for the future - still - it would probably not be an issue with JD.  A trade down would be ideal, but I don’t see it as probable.

I just really believe JD wants super talent in this team and since he set us up pretty well in FA, it’s time to get that talent. Sauce is more talented relative to his position than Karlaftis. I think JD will address edge (Karl at 10?),  but maybe not until round 2 or even trade up is someone slips.

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

Agreed that CB is a tough transition, but since we are building for the future - still - it would probably not be an issue with JD.  A trade down would be ideal, but I don’t see it as probable.

I just really believe JD wants super talent in this team and since he set us up pretty well in FA, it’s time to get that talent. Sauce is more talented relative to his position than Karlaftis. I think JD will address edge (Karl at 10?),  but maybe not until round 2 or even trade up is someone slips.

The system is based on the DL. Average CBs can look great with pass rush. I don’t expect us to invest ever in Round 1 at CB. I love Sauce and would be saying we should draft him if we didn’t add Reed. But we don’t need CB help right now and the whole unit is young. It’d be a total waste of assets to add a CB early. I’d actually rather see us draft Ikem or Neal at 4 and trade Fant than draft Sauce/

I think we have to take the senior bowl into consideration when we’re thinking who we might draft. Not so much early. But especially in the mid and later rounds. For example… we coached Jermaine Johnson they saw and knew his personality for a week. Walker they only will know from a few interviews. So knowing Johnson had a great senior bowl week… if they’re even close as prospects… I’d have to imagine they’d take Johnson over a guy like Walker.

That being said… JD does have a trend of choosing younger guys early in the draft. 

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we have to take the senior bowl into consideration when we’re thinking who we might draft. Not so much early. But especially in the mid and later rounds. For example… we coached Jermaine Johnson they saw and knew his personality for a week. Walker they only will know from a few interviews. So knowing Johnson had a great senior bowl week… if they’re even close as prospects… I’d have to imagine they’d take Johnson over a guy like Walker.

That being said… JD does have a trend of choosing younger guys early in the draft. 

2020- Ashtyn Davis, Braden Mann, Denzel Mims, La'Michal Perine, Jabari Zuniga, Lamar Jackson

2021- Michael Carter, Hamilcar Rashed, Kenny Yeboah, Hamsah Nasrildeen

Rounds 3-5 plus UDFAs

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The system is based on the DL. Average CBs can look great with pass rush. I don’t expect us to invest ever in Round 1 at CB. I love Sauce and would be saying we should draft him if we didn’t add Reed. But we don’t need CB help right now and the whole unit is young. It’d be a total waste of assets to add a CB early. I’d actually rather see us draft Ikem or Neal at 4 and trade Fant than draft Sauce/

Agree on the DL thing and I would have little issue with going into the season with our current group of CB’s. I still believe JD will want a true stud regardless of position at 4. And I also agree that OT is not out of the question if he feels Neal is a true stud.

Again, he did a good job in FA filling holes leaving us with few spots that truly need to be addressed. There is no doubt we still need a starting caliber WR, Edge, DT and S (not sold on Joyner). But if one of those positions is not worth it at 4, we can still use upgrades / future replacements on what we have, CB among them. Ask yourself this:  In a few years, will we be happier if we had Sauce of Karl?  

28 minutes ago, xrade said:

Agree on the DL thing and I would have little issue with going into the season with our current group of CB’s. I still believe JD will want a true stud regardless of position at 4. And I also agree that OT is not out of the question if he feels Neal is a true stud.

Again, he did a good job in FA filling holes leaving us with few spots that truly need to be addressed. There is no doubt we still need a starting caliber WR, Edge, DT and S (not sold on Joyner). But if one of those positions is not worth it at 4, we can still use upgrades / future replacements on what we have, CB among them. Ask yourself this:  In a few years, will we be happier if we had Sauce of Karl?  

Karlaftis.

I think he can have a good career. He won’t ever be TJ Watt… but if he can hover around that 10 sack mark each year, that’s good enough. I think as Jets fans we think CB is incredibly valuable bc we had Revis. But Revis was pretty much the last CB ever that could legit alter a game. The NFL has catered to offense, not allowing CBs to play like they used to. So a shutdown corner doesn’t exist anymore. It’s not a premium position like it was 10 years ago. And IMO premium positions should be addressed with premium picks. Especially when rebuilding. We use 1st rounders on CB, S, LB for example and we are wasting assets. Use those premium picks on DE, WR, OL. Which JD has done. He’s had 5 premium picks and those picks have been OT, WR, QB, OG, WR. 

54 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think he can have a good career. He won’t ever be TJ Watt… but if he can hover around that 10 sack mark each year, that’s good enough

If JD and Saleh think he can hover around 10 sacks, go for it. I do not think he will be THAT effective in getting to the QB. I picture him more a good edge setter helping the run D. He will be average in pressures and about a league average in sacks (5 - 7). More importantly he may not be a player teams to overly game plan for.

If he is the choice, I hope I am wrong. In the end, I trust JD. Now with that said, watch him pick Walker. 

No way Hutch and KT are gone by 4. One of those guys will be there. Too many teams like O and build the OL. Jags, Lions and Houston all need OL guys. You will have one of the edge guys go in top 3 with either 2 OL man or OL and QB. I think Neal goes 1 to Jags. They need OL help even with the FA add. Lions will either go Icky, Hutch or QB. Houston will go either Hutch (depending on what Lions do) Icky or QB. That leaves KT for the Jets. KT being lazy and 100% into football will turn a few of these guys off. 

51 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

No way Hutch and KT are gone by 4. One of those guys will be there. Too many teams like O and build the OL. Jags, Lions and Houston all need OL guys. You will have one of the edge guys go in top 3 with either 2 OL man or OL and QB. I think Neal goes 1 to Jags. They need OL help even with the FA add. Lions will either go Icky, Hutch or QB. Houston will go either Hutch (depending on what Lions do) Icky or QB. That leaves KT for the Jets. KT being lazy and 100% into football will turn a few of these guys off. 

The Jaguars just franchise tagged their LT and the lions have a top five tackle tandem in the league. I don't kno what depth charts you're looking at?